Jan 08, 2019, 09:52 AM
you're funny.... and must not live in Kansas. "After the wind goes away"....

That doesn't happen often around here!

Looks nice, Andy. Bet you're looking forward to flying it.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2019, 12:29 AM
Wait so this was yours dad s build that you brought to life?
That just rocks!
Jan 10, 2019, 11:21 AM
Thread OP
Yes, he built it almost 15 years ago. He's been part of the rebuild, too. Except for the spar in the right wing and a single "rib" in the elevator, it uses all the wood parts he cut. I've added a few for strength, but this is about as much as possible his plane.

I can't wait to be able to hand him his transmitter to fly it.

Andy
Jan 10, 2019, 12:27 PM
Hi

Nice build ... I built an original Comet Aeronca Chief for rubber free flight and have often thought it would be a great model scaled up for RC but kept really light. Might be tempted to follow your idea.

Cheers

Mike

PS Here's some links for the 54" version.

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...?topic=16809.0

Comet Aeronca Chief 54" rubber free flight - trim7 (1 min 30 sec)

Comet Aeronca Chief 54" rubber free flight - trim8 (1 min 57 sec)
Jan 13, 2019, 09:18 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Been watching this with great interest. I like slow flying planes you can fly in a small field and close enough in to see. Andyís dadís plane is right there. Thank you for the cool video. Back not quite 50 years ago I went out to the local RC flying field one dead calm evening and saw a guy with the 54Ē version in just clear and white silkspan or maybe tissue. It had a Cox .020 on it he was having a bit of trouble starting. He got it started and I backed way off to watch it ROG. It took off real slow and started the same big slow circle as in the video. It gained altitude real slowly and I quickly came to the conclusion it was headed my way on the back side of the first circle at about 2 or 3 feet of altitude. I started pedaling as fast as I could trying to get away from it but I was not making much headway and it seemed where I went it followed. Kind of forgot to mention I had a broken foot and was on crutches..... I finally figured out I just needed to go at right angles to the flight path and watched it go motoring by head high. It made two or three big circles and ran out of fuel. Really nice flight. I have a laser cut short kit and it is high on my build list. Now I have some more motivation.
Jan 14, 2019, 08:38 AM
Thread OP
Where'd you get the kit, Mel?

Andy
Jan 14, 2019, 09:33 AM
Missileer Extraordinaire
I bought it a while ago from a company called TMRC. It appears that a company called New Prairie Woodworks and Decor is putting out the same kits. He is on Facebook and has an Etsy store. I bought the 54” Cub also if I remember right.

EDIT: Looks like it is the same owner with a new company name.
Last edited by Mel Duval; Jan 14, 2019 at 10:05 AM.
Jan 14, 2019, 10:10 AM
Thread OP
Two places I don't go. That explains why I haven't seen it! Thanks.

Andy
Jan 14, 2019, 10:14 AM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Two places I don't go. That explains why I haven't seen it! Thanks.

Andy
You are quite welcome! I am not too far from you on that. I never go to Etsy and only go to Facebook under duress. Mr. Google helped me find him....
Jan 14, 2019, 10:58 AM
Good job of restoring are you in the EAA. Most of my life I was small aircraft up to 747 size. Building Aircraft Hangar Doors

If your hargar door made of ALUMINUM and may have name Smith I made the door

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
A couple more
Sep 16, 2019, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
So this weekend we had great weather in central Illinois. Absolutely gorgeous. To top it off, my parents were in town. After lunch we (Dad, Caleb, Ian, and me) went down to Eli Field and flew some planes. Caleb shot the attached video while I piloted. This was the first flight since the rebuild this past Building Season.

There was just enough wind that I could almost get it to hover - and it was really light wind!

We also flew the Comet Gull Dad had built and a few other planes. A nice afternoon for all.

Andy

2019 Sept 14 Aeronca Champ Flight (6 min 37 sec)
Sep 16, 2019, 03:13 PM
Lookin' good! What a nice place to fly...
Sep 18, 2019, 08:56 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Looks great, Andy !

Best regards,

jeff

Quick Reply