Jan 25, 2019, 10:57 AM
Darwin;
Will the Castle Lite 35A live in that environment?
Thanks
Cary
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2019, 11:05 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Does anybody have Kv data for Neu motors?
Alex? Steve Neu? are you here?

Steve's website doesn't have any Kv data as far as I can see. And never had. It doesn't even show 1102 motors.
https://neumotors.com/neumotors-1100...00-1400-watts/
Maybe I just cannot find it. But it has been a source of frustration for me always, whenever I try to get any data on Neu motors, I give up quickly
I have no idea what the various winding types mean (6D?! 4.5D?! 2.5Y?! wth)

I admit to not being educated enough in electric motors. But as a simple consumer, it would be a great help to just know Kv, so that a comparison can be made between motors. If I have another brand motor with a known Kv (and gear ratio) and I know what power it consumes with a certain prop, I can judge then what prop (bigger/smaller) needs to be used on, say 1102, and what current/power/RPM can be expected. There is no use in knowing the gear ratio without knowing the motor Kv...
Jan 25, 2019, 11:15 AM
David Vels
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbarrie11
I think your ESC is a little overkill. I've used this same combo but with a YEP 40 ESC and worked fine. But what you have should work fine.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
Thanks Darwin
Thats great intel.
Iím using the YEP 40 on my 3s.
I only suggested the YEP 60 because I thought I might need it.
Aged, dazed and (a little less) confused.
David
Jan 25, 2019, 11:33 AM
Bro
Bro

Neu 1102

Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
Does anybody have Kv data for Neu motors?
Alex? Steve Neu? are you here?

Steve's website doesn't have any Kv data as far as I can see. And never had. It doesn't even show 1102 motors.
https://neumotors.com/neumotors-1100...00-1400-watts/
Maybe I just cannot find it. But it has been a source of frustration for me always, whenever I try to get any data on Neu motors, I give up quickly
I have no idea what the various winding types mean (6D?! 4.5D?! 2.5Y?! wth)

I admit to not being educated enough in electric motors. But as a simple consumer, it would be a great help to just know Kv, so that a comparison can be made between motors. If I have another brand motor with a known Kv (and gear ratio) and I know what power it consumes with a certain prop, I can judge then what prop (bigger/smaller) needs to be used on, say 1102, and what current/power/RPM can be expected. There is no use in knowing the gear ratio without knowing the motor Kv...
Oleg,

The 1102/3.5/P22 is 4900 kv....
Steve has 100's of winds and custom stuff. Very hard to detail all of it. And Kv is not what it's all about.

I suggest you get this;
https://www.ecalc.ch/

It is a good starting point for motor calcs, but from data you will see real world numbers are a bit different in most cases.

Regards,
Bro
Latest blog entry: 2015
Jan 25, 2019, 11:42 AM
In F3J size does matter!
According to Soaring USA it can take 500 watts.
According to Ecalc it has 4900 kv.
Looks like you are at about 380 watts and a pitch speed of 82 kph with a 13x8 GM prop, a very conservative setup that should be fine for 200-250 meters in calm conditions for a light F5J but no more.
With a 15x8 GM prop which seems to be recommended by Soaring USA, you get 500 watts and a pitch speed of 72 kph (51 amps). This all depends on your battery of course.
4 cells would favor a smaller prop, about 11x6 to 11x7.
Andrey (the producer of the Sense) has a very slim prop that may work nicely on 4 cells with this motor, a very slim 13.4x6.5. Should give about 500 watts and a pitch speed of 92 kph.
Jan 25, 2019, 12:45 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Well, I just ordered one of these from SUSA yesterday. I will now have everything for my first F5J ship except an airframe to put it in. LOL

I like the idea of using a smaller prop and a 4S battery for a couple of reasons. Higher voltage for the same wattage means a cooler running power system. Also, I would think the smaller the prop, the less drag it will create when stopped.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Jan 25, 2019, 01:15 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro
Oleg,
Thanks, Bob!

And thanks, Roy!
Jan 25, 2019, 01:27 PM
a.k.a VintageFan
Are these back in stock yet?
Latest blog entry: Images
Jan 25, 2019, 01:43 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Campbell
Are these back in stock yet?
According to the email I got, the new stock was due into SUSA either yesterday or today.
Jan 25, 2019, 02:07 PM
Professional sink locator
I've been waiting for over 6 weeks on my order...
Jan 25, 2019, 02:39 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Like Oleg I too could not find any data for the 1102 when I started research this winter for a plane I just completed.

Last Fall I invested in a computer-controlled thrust bench and a bunch of different props. Early this month I ran a series of automated thrust vrs prop tests on a Tenshock 1515-15T motor (4S). Then I followed with a series of in-flight tests. Both sets of results correlated and allowed me to zero in on a good prop for that motor. FYI eCalc's prediction was not useful since it does not support any of the bigger RFM slim props that (it turns out from actual testing) work so well for this combo. i.e. more usable thrust and more efficient than smaller wider props.

I have a friend who is getting a Neu 1102+P22 soon and has agreed to let me run thrust tests on it before he installs it. Film at 11...

Chris
Jan 25, 2019, 04:31 PM
In F3J size does matter!
My tests with GM props and both Viper and Leopard setups have had very nice correlation to ecalc. After some research I also was able to adjust to Andrey’s props which required different Cpand Ct values since they are optimized for lower drag when olded rather than pure thrust.
Also choosing a battery that matches your battery’s internal resistance is important or you will get different values as well. But overall I am quite happy with ecalc and my motors with GM props.
But in the end it’s just another design tool
Jan 25, 2019, 04:38 PM
Time for me to Fly...
I always use programs like eCalc to get me in the ballpark and then tweak the setup from there. Of course, at the price of these props, it’s nice to get it in acceptable range pretty quickly. It’s always nice to come here and read other’s experiences to back up your own numbers. I’d love to read any and all reports on using this motor with 4S and specifically what 4S battery you used.
Jan 25, 2019, 05:03 PM
David Vels
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude
I have a friend who is getting a Neu 1102+P22 soon and has agreed to let me run thrust tests on it before he installs it. Film at 11...

Chris
Popcorn ready
Jan 25, 2019, 05:55 PM
Is it possible to expand on the following:

>And Kv is not what it's all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro
Oleg,

Steve has 100's of winds and custom stuff. Very hard to detail all of it. And Kv is not what it's all about.

I suggest you get this;
https://www.ecalc.ch/

It is a good starting point for motor calcs, but from data you will see real world numbers are a bit different in most cases.

Regards,
Bro

Quick Reply