Oct 19, 2019, 07:39 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
First video...chasing big Heron...first flight with antenna mod...started a RTH after 1800 feet, which is a 300 foot improvement but hoping for better when I get other antennas from Amazon.
Fimi A3 in Galveston, Texas (3 min 34 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2019, 09:00 PM
How was your 2.4 signal strength at 1800 feet? I'm getting double that range on 2.4 with 2 or 3 bars. For video if I'm just flying around the park I use a regular 2db 5.8 dipole. For range, the menace bandicoot works well but the 5.8 alpha works even better. Stock is the worst, but they are omnidirectional so they are easy to use. Looking forward to seeing your Amazon antenna results.

Nice video too.
Oct 19, 2019, 09:32 PM
Thanks Steve...regarding 2.4 signal strength, well, it returned to home
I forgot to record the controller video so I can't go look. But I was losing 5.8 as the quad all of a sudden stopped and started home. I stopped it after about 200 feet and signal was fine then. But I was trying to go further than the video signal just to test the 2.4 but it was weird that they both stopped together. I also used my new 3 ft long cable with my FatShark Dom3 goggles and it was a beautiful picture right up until it went out. I was underneath some power wires as you can see but otherwise open spaces. I am posting the second video now with the 2.4 return to home where it began backing up since I was already facing away. My wife was using my old FatShark Teleporter goggles sitting in the car and she was getting about same signal I was getting. When I lost all video she still had some scratchy video and that was sitting in the car!

I enjoyed chaseing that Heron around...wish I would have been in ATTI mode so I could catch it!

P.S. Here is second and last video for the day.
Fimi A3 Galveston Part 2 (6 min 10 sec)
Last edited by RGS2010; Oct 19, 2019 at 09:45 PM.
Oct 20, 2019, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducs
What's the version of the flight control firmware installed on your A3?

I had difficulties getting through the compass calibration with FC versions older than v1025.
Its the latest firmware.
Fly Control Firmware V1028-B
Oct 20, 2019, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry1953
Its the latest firmware.
Fly Control Firmware V1028-B
Weird, I have never seen a photo showing version numbers like this. And there is no version for NFZ (no fly zone) at all. How do you know you have V1028-B?

In the software world "RTM" usually stands for "release to manufacturing" and "RC" for "release candidate", a version which could become "RTM" provided testing reveals no more significant issues.

Edit: Oh, I see, if one opens the file FC.BIN of firmware V1028-B in Windows Notepad, then the string "19916_RC_B" can be found inside it. Therefore you do have the newest FC version.
Last edited by Ducs; Oct 20, 2019 at 07:25 AM. Reason: additions
Oct 20, 2019, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducs

Edit: Oh, I see, if one opens the file FC.BIN of firmware V1028-B in Windows Notepad, then the string "19916_RC_B" can be found inside it. Therefore you do have the newest FC version.
I tried in three different locations yesterday to do the compass calibration, and gave up trying.
Oct 20, 2019, 03:28 PM
It was very stubborn for me too. I think it took a long time. Imu calibration was difficult as well.
Oct 21, 2019, 10:17 AM
Have you received the A3 yet. How bad is the NFZ , geofence on the A3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010
Thanks guys.

Yes I heard from one reviewer that he got partial OSD on "wireless" goggles and another said that he got "full OSD" when using a cable so I was just trying to get the lowdown. The delay is less noticeable when he used the cable too he said. I will certainly test out both of these situations when I get the A3.

Mine is on it's way from Banggood so no telling when I'll get it.

I've got patch cords on the way from Amazon so I can hook the lipos up to my hobby grade charger and charge LiHV. Interesting that the battery itself says that is a Li Ion battery and not a Li-Polymer battery??? But my Zino battery has Li=HV on them so I would have expected same on Fimi battery.

I found something interesting while reading the full manual on Fimi's site today. It said that the A3 will stop and hover when it gets to "The Edge of a No Fly Zone" like an airport or other "State designated" no fly area. I wonder if some of the people that have not gotten the full 1 kilometer distance have run into this problem? I generally don't like government interference in my world (even though I would never fly anywhere an airport or other sanctioned area) and I would have thought twice before buying this quad if it is truly "geofenced". That's why I don't have a Mavic.
Oct 21, 2019, 12:07 PM
I haven't run into a geofence yet. we get RTH when we reach the control limit.
Oct 21, 2019, 12:17 PM
Quote:
How bad is the NFZ , geofence on the A3.
Doesn't work in Poland at all. Don't know how is in other countries.
Tried this 2 km from intl airport's fence. Don't worry, I didn't flight there :-)

People write odd things. A3 batteries are ordinary Li-pol batteries!
Oct 21, 2019, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
I haven't run into a geofence yet. we get RTH when we reach the control limit.
Ditto. I use FCC so have not run into a problem other than much less than 1 kilometer range but Iím working on antenna mod.

P.S. here is a pic of my next experimental antennas. They are both 2.4/5.8 compatible.
Last edited by RGS2010; Oct 22, 2019 at 07:27 AM.
Oct 22, 2019, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra_fpv
Proszę bardzo!

Inside rear legs you can find vertically situated wire antennas. As I remember video 5.8 GHz antenna in left rear one and 2.4 GHz in the right one.
Sth like that: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3250...chweb201603_52
Is really 5.8 GHz on left and 2.4 GHz on right? I know, that is vice versa. Or?
Oct 22, 2019, 07:57 AM
Other way around. You can cover one of the antennas with your hand and watch which signal strength lessens.

RGS2010
Waiting for your report on those antennas!
Oct 22, 2019, 10:16 AM
Yes, 2.4 ghz on left (as you are holding the controller) and 5.8 ghz on the right. I had 2.4 ghz only antenna on the left and it worked well and 5.8 only antenna on the right. Plus Steve's practical test works too!

Hope to test the new antennas tonight.
Oct 22, 2019, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry1953
I tried in three different locations yesterday to do the compass calibration, and gave up trying.
I've been in contact with Fimi Help, and they advised me to send it back to China for inspection.
So I'll be waiting a few more weeks, before I can fly my A3 for the first time.

Quick Reply