Thread Tools
Sep 19, 2019, 06:17 AM
Registered User
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm looking at purchasing my first drone and am swaying between this and the Zino.

I'm a big fan of Xiaomi, but the charging issues are off putting and I also like the fact that the Zino has 4k.

Is there anyone on here who has both and would strongly recommend one over the other?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 08:46 AM
Registered User
stevea3342's Avatar
I don't have any first hand experience with either yet (A3 is in the mail). From what I have read, the Zino is probably better overall but is overall more expensive too. The selling point of the A3 is that you get a lot for the money and a lot of folks (like me) bought it for the ability to fly it with your FPV goggles and NOT needing a smartphone app since the controller is all in one. 4k is cool but I just like to record my flights, I'm not making cinema or art or anything like that ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankij
True, that's my opinion also. I don't see a reason why Fimi wouldn't deliver balance charges for 13.05 instead of 12.75 if this wasn't the case. Would you buy from Fimi again if your battery died after 10 rides when charged with original charger? Suppose not. You would blame them and Fimi A3 would be marked as bad product.
That was a marketing decision. Enthusiasts, you can safely go to 13.05 and get better fly time without risk of battery explosion, but
It was a good decision from their side.
Good point, no LiHV charger in the box because they aren't giving you a standard LiHV battery. I'm going to check if any of my full feature chargers let me set the voltage but is probably more of a hassle than I want to deal with and will just do a standard charge.
Sep 19, 2019, 10:46 AM
Registered User
stevea3342's Avatar
The interesting thing is that the stock/supplied charger claims to charge up to 12.75 volts which would seem to be the best we could or should do unless there's really a reason to believe that the battery uses 4.35 cells instead of 4.25 cells.


Rated Output: 11.1V 0.8A
Rated Input:14V 0.8A
Applicable Battery: 3S
Charging Limit Voltage: 12.75 V
Rated Voltage: 11.1 V
Rated Capacity: 2000 mAh / 22.2 Wh
Weight: about 162g
Sep 19, 2019, 01:22 PM
Registered User
I'm guessing they're using the "first generation" of LiHV batteries that "can" be charged at the higher voltage but not recommended because of issues with puffing, etc. Wondering if at some point they will start adding Silicon-Graphene to the batteries to protect them from puffing like the other manufacturers have done.
Sep 19, 2019, 08:40 PM
KC5UH transmits -------->
ham2405's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
The interesting thing is that the stock/supplied charger claims to charge up to 12.75 volts which would seem to be the best we could or should do unless there's really a reason to believe that the battery uses 4.35 cells instead of 4.25 cells.


Rated Output: 11.1V 0.8A
Rated Input:14V 0.8A
Applicable Battery: 3S
Charging Limit Voltage: 12.75 V
Rated Voltage: 11.1 V
Rated Capacity: 2000 mAh / 22.2 Wh
Weight: about 162g
I looked up the battery on Banggood and the label reads Nominal voltage - 11.1V, max charge 12.75V. THIS IS A NORMAL LIPO! It is NOT a LiHV lipo. So anyone pushing this battery to 4.35V per cell is taking a big risk.
Sep 20, 2019, 02:45 PM
Registered User
Hey all, I just received my A3 in the mail and it has a Euro plug on the stock charger. What have you folks in the US done to make this charger work? Do I need to go purchase a Euro to US adapter or am I missing something?

Also production date on drone itself is 05/2019 and the box says 07/2019. The battery that it came with has a production date of 06/2019 and my spare battery that I bought also says 06/2019.
Last edited by bhoth; Sep 20, 2019 at 03:04 PM.
Sep 20, 2019, 03:23 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoth
Hey all, I just received my A3 in the mail and it has a Euro plug on the stock charger. What have you folks in the US done to make this charger work? Do I need to go purchase a Euro to US adapter or am I missing something?

Also production date on drone itself is 05/2019 and the box says 07/2019. The battery that it came with has a production date of 06/2019 and my spare battery that I bought also says 06/2019.
When I use that charger, I just us a cheap adapter I already had. It works fine. I think you can get one off ebay for 2 or 3 dollars.
Sep 20, 2019, 03:27 PM
Registered User
stevea3342's Avatar
How about something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Ckitze-Flat-W...s%2C162&sr=1-1
Sep 20, 2019, 08:24 PM
Registered User
That should work fine
Sep 23, 2019, 03:43 AM
Registered User
Hi all! I updated my drone FC firmware to the latest version and after that I tried to update also my Camera firmware, but something went wrong and now it seems that I don't have any camera firmware installed. I connected my drone to laptop with the SD card installed but the CAMERA drive won't appear on Windows Drives, only BACKUP and UPGRADE appear. I downloaded the camera firmware on the SD card using my card reader, put the card in the drone and boot up, but no firmware is installing. I run out of options. Did someone had the same issue?
Sep 23, 2019, 10:24 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrisor
Hi all! I updated my drone FC firmware to the latest version and after that I tried to update also my Camera firmware, but something went wrong and now it seems that I don't have any camera firmware installed. I connected my drone to laptop with the SD card installed but the CAMERA drive won't appear on Windows Drives, only BACKUP and UPGRADE appear. I downloaded the camera firmware on the SD card using my card reader, put the card in the drone and boot up, but no firmware is installing. I run out of options. Did someone had the same issue?
I remember some time ago a user posted somewhere (I can't recall the actual place) that he bricked his A3's camera and contacted Fimi. They sent him a package that contained the AmbaUSB tool and suitable firmware files which enabled him to unbrick the camera.
Sep 23, 2019, 01:47 PM
Registered User
stevea3342's Avatar
Mine arrived today with the dreaded foreign (not USA) power adapter. I have half a dozen balance lead chargers from old Horizon planes or Heli's but ordered an outlet adapter on ebay.

No issues with firmware upgrades
When I plug my goggles into the controller, the controller screen goes off, is that normal?

Fits nice with props in an old Lowepro CS 300 bag. Now I need to fly it.
Sep 23, 2019, 04:10 PM
Registered User
stevea3342's Avatar
Anyone try the expansion port? I can't get the IO button to control the servo. I checked the voltage and the servo is getting 5v and if I move the servo arm out of center and turn on the quad it moves back to center so I think everything is hooked up correctly. I hold the button for 1 or 3 seconds and the servo doesn't move.
Sep 23, 2019, 04:40 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
Anyone try the expansion port? I can't get the IO button to control the servo. I checked the voltage and the servo is getting 5v and if I move the servo arm out of center and turn on the quad it moves back to center so I think everything is hooked up correctly. I hold the button for 1 or 3 seconds and the servo doesn't move.
I haven't played with the DIY port, but I thought the function of the IO button is to switch the GPIO pin between "high" and "low" signal.

The PWM for the servo is controlled via the right dial. (after "Right Dial" has been set to "PWM" instead of "EV" in the "Custom Settings")
Sep 23, 2019, 04:45 PM
Registered User
stevea3342's Avatar
Thank you, I didn't know about that setting, I thought it was the button that activated the pwm. I did notice that the EV changed when I moved the right dial so I'll try what you suggested.

***Update Ducs, that fixed it, thanks.
Last edited by stevea3342; Sep 23, 2019 at 07:55 PM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Xiaomi Mi Drone WIFI FPV 4K 30fps & 1080P Camera 3-Axis Gimbal Squirrels Mini Multirotor Drones 81 Jul 22, 2017 09:04 AM
Discussion Xiaomi MI Drone released at 2,499 yuan androidj Multirotor Drone Talk 28 Jul 14, 2016 06:02 PM