Jul 31, 2019, 08:27 AM
Peter, look at my last post :-)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2019, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra_fpv
Peter, look at my last post :-)
If it does indeed put 2A thru the balance-plug then that it quite a bit; but as I said: that charger is apparently tested by Fimi whatever that may mean:

https://www.banggood.com/URUAV-2-3S-...r_warehouse=CN

"Features:
1. URUAV Charger tested by FIMI, can protect the battery effectively and charge fast, which is safe and reliable.
2. As for the original charger failes to charge the battery fully, URUAV charger can charge the battery in full capacity.
3. Compared with Original charger, URUAV charger only takes 1.5h to charge instead of 3.5h.
"

Turning up the amps will indeed shorten the charging-time, but probably also run the charger (much) warmer/hotter, and should be used very cautiously when people choose to use it (never leave it alone people!!!). No doubt that the use of a hobby-grade charger is preferred.
Jul 31, 2019, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
Did however add some plugs to the A3 battery wire-harnesss to be able to use a hobby-charger and use that now instead; this offers way more control and can also be used to discharge the batteries to storage level.
Do you have a picture of this mod? Sounds like a great idea.

Thanks
Jul 31, 2019, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipdaddy
Do you have a picture of this mod? Sounds like a great idea.

Thanks
There are some pictures in this thread, this is a 'commercial' one to give you an idea :-)
Jul 31, 2019, 11:41 AM
Not sure but I think this one would work. Has the banana plugs instead of the XT.

https://www.progressiverc.com/3s-jst...nce-cable.html
Jul 31, 2019, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Charging with the current of 2 A using only balancer port is not good.
This is to big current for balancer socket.

I made proper charging cables using this plugs: https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/33014...1a315c0fuhUpgw
Of course with balancer plug connected.
I use ToolkitRC M8 charger.
Thanks for sharing the link to the connectors!

I was looking for these some time ago, but couldn't find one that I thought would properly fit the A3's battery. So I ended up wiring EC2 connectors directly to the batteries.
Jul 31, 2019, 03:20 PM
Thx. Should this combination also work?
https://m.de.aliexpress.com/item/330...A1564604318563

[23,40€ 13% OFF]HTRC B6 V2 80W 6A Digital RC Battery Balance Charger Discharger for LiPo Battery RC Parts from Toys Hobbies and Robot on banggood.com
https://banggood.app.link/RXB6ZF9pMY
Jul 31, 2019, 03:47 PM
Quote:
That is supposed to be an Fimi-okay'ed replacement of the original charger, and should be able to charge the A3 batteries to full/LiHV capacity. I have no experience with it though, only with a similar charger, the HTRC H4 AC which does the job, but gets very hot in the process so I never leave it charging unattended. Did however add some plugs to the A3 battery wire-harnesss to be able to use a hobby-charger and use that now instead; this offers way more control and can also be used to discharge the batteries to storage level.

Any analog 5.8gHz goggle (like the one you showed) is useable with the Fimi A3

thankyou
Jul 31, 2019, 03:49 PM
DarthMengon, charger is ok, the cabel - not.
Jul 31, 2019, 04:13 PM
Quote:
DarthMengon, charger is ok, the cabel - not.
OK. Thx very much for your help! But which cable is then OK and available for shipping to Germany at a fair price? Any suggestions? And do I need a DC power adapter? It looks there is no included...

Also, since iam a beginner, please pardon for my next question... Is it correct that the battery must be discharged in a special way if I don't use it a few weeks? I thought I could simply fly it until it's "empty"
Or do I really need a charger with discharge capability then?
Last edited by DarthMengon; Jul 31, 2019 at 04:24 PM.
Jul 31, 2019, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Charging with the current of 2 A using only balancer port is not good.
This is to big current for balancer socket.

I made proper charging cables using this plugs: https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/33014...1a315c0fuhUpgw
Of course with balancer plug connected.
I use ToolkitRC M8 charger.
Does this connector works with the main connector of the A3 battery?
Care to share a picture and pinout? I'd love to have a cable like this...

About charging through the balance port, in this case, it isn't that dangerous.
It's not 2A per 22AWG wire, the charger will provide 2A divided by each LiPo cell (IF that power supply can really output 2A).
A 22AWG wire can handle up to 7A (at least the ones I got here).

The JST XH connector is rated up to 3A (according to JST HX datasheet). Some say it can be used with even more.

(all this assuming the wire and connector meet at least the minimum requirements)

I set my iMax B6 v2 with LiHV balance charging program at 1.5A, got a temperature probe and always check if it's OK. Battery, wires and connectors are always at room temperature, sometimes 1 or 2 degrees hotter.
Jul 31, 2019, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMengon
OK. Thx very much for your help! But which cable is then OK and available for shipping to Germany at a fair price? Any suggestions? And do I need a DC power adapter? It looks there is no included...

Also, since iam a beginner, please pardon for my next question... Is it correct that the battery must be discharged in a special way if I don't use it a few weeks? I thought I could simply fly it until it's "empty"
Or do I really need a charger with discharge capability then?
Never drain ("fully discharge") LiPo batteries, they must have a minimum charge to prevent internal damage, it's around 3V per cell (the A3 battery has 3 cells, 9V in total). This is the minimum, the flight control of the A3 won't let you reach this low, it will land (crash?) earlier. LiPos are usually discharged during use at around 3.4V per cell.

The storage voltage of LiPos is 3.8V per cell (total of 11.4V in the A3 battery). Do you really need a smart charger with storage funcion? Well... it's nice to have a charger with this (and many other) function, but if you just have the A3 and take good care of the battery (ie: don't let if fully discharged, don't over charge it, don't charge while the battery is still hot from use, don't short the terminals, don't puncture the cells, avoid crashes...), you might not need to worry about storage charging. But keep in mind that LiPos are supposed to have a somewhat short life anyway.

The A3 battery is a LiHV, HV being High Voltage. It can get 4.35V per cell (13.05V in total). The original charger is meant for LiPo, charging it at 12.6V. The URUAV charger is a cheap charger capable of charging LiHV.

So, if you're going to store your quad for some time and the battery is fully charged, use it a bit just to bring the battery down to 11 to 11.4V (storing a fully charged LiPo can damage it too).

I don't take good care of my LiPos and some of them are years old, still working good. When LiPos were banned from air shipping, I panicked and bought a lot of them.

The long answer is here (in case you want to know more about LiPos... you don't have to memorize it all, but I think it's good to have at least an overall knowledge about LiPos). It's a good post from a fellow RCGroups user.
Aug 01, 2019, 06:10 AM

Gimbal is not ready

Hi,
I got my Fimi A3, but its gimbal does not move. The gimbal/camera/ wires have no damage, but it can not be moved by the left dial. The gimbal does not move during the gimbal and IMU calibration, gimbal calibration does not finishes. The data of the gimbal sensors can be accessed by the controller.
I updated all the latest firmwares, but no change.
See the linked video and pictures.
Fimi A3 Gimbal , does not work (6 min 18 sec)

Do you have any idea what is the problem?
Aug 01, 2019, 07:21 AM
Quote:
There are some pictures in this thread, this is a 'commercial' one to give you an idea :-)
Thank you!
Aug 01, 2019, 10:14 AM
Well i took the plunge after reading all the posts and bought 1 of these from bang good on the 19th June, took till the 26th July to get to UK which i thought is fair enough.

Took the battery out and put it on charge which took 5hrs..... so obviously well below storage voltage, put the battery into the drone for it to start chirping straight away, it wont turn on or off just chirps away untill the battery is removed, have tested voltage on battery cells which are all good so think i got a DOA drone

Quick Reply