This thread is privately moderated by siriusflier, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 22, 2018, 09:24 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Hubsan H501S X4 5.8G FPV Brushless With 1080P HD Camera GPS RC Drone Quadcopter

Hubsan H501S X4 5.8G FPV Brushless With 1080P HD Camera GPS RC Drone Quadcopter

I never really liked Hubsan products very much. A vendor that was a friend of mine had major quality issues with Hubsan products, and they would not stand behind their products. Early in my quad flying days, I bought an H107C, may have been my first camera quad. Had to reroute wires before I could fly it the first time, replace a motor after 3 flights, then another motor after 10 flights. And it did not fly anywhere near as well as a WLToys V202. Probably less than 15 flights and I shelved it, never to fly it again. I reviewed the Hubsan X4 Camera Plus and it was a little better, but still not really a winner.

So when the Hubsan H501S went on sale recently it piqued my interest, but being a Hubsan product I was a bit skeptical. Still, I had heard good things about the H501S, so I ordered one. I really like my MJX B2W quads and the H501S is a direct competitor. I think the B2W may be a clone of the H501S, but it comes with wifi FPV. Plus the H501S comes with 5.8ghz FPV, a monitor built into the transmitter, and dual GPS. Those are features not included with the B2W. So for close to the same price I paid for my last B2W, I got a quad with better features and slightly longer flight times. I also got an H107S-S which is the newer version of the quad with a standard transmitter. From what I have read, the standard transmitter is better than the advanced transmitter because it may have better telemetry and it has a larger monitor screen.

The purpose of this blog posting will be to give my impressions of and experience with the H501S-S, and to gather up some of the known and unknowns about the quad and it's operation. There is already an 1800 page review on the H501S, so this is not really intended to be a review, just a place that I can refer back to for information about different operations of the quad and the standard transmitter.

Flirst Impressions and Observations

Out of the box, the quad flies well, GPS, video, and follow me work well. It is probably a little slower than than the B2W, but it has better telemetry, and this is a camera/GPS quad anyway. Something I like to do in reviews is post the following table for easily finding certain Dimensions and Weights:

Motor to Motor(MTM) Diagonally----310mm.....................................MTM Side to Side-----218mm
MTM Front to Back-----220mm............................................. ..................Height/ground clearance--80/23mm
Transmitter measures-----185 x 168 x 50 mm .................................Transmitter Sticks-----91mm CTC x 19mm tall
Props measure-----186mm/7.31 inches - 5.6 grams................................ ...........Motors--1806 1650KV
Quadcopter body weight-----327.58 grams............................................. All up weight-----460.6 grams
Battery Bay---125 x 35 x 17mm............................................. ....................Battery--104 x 33.4 x 15.5/ 110.85 grams /2700mah
Monitor Screen--95.7 x 55.3 mm...............................................R ange of quad/fpv-----800 meters(0.5 miles) as of 10/20/2018

You can use AA batteries in the transmitter, mine came with a 1400mah 1C Lipo that measures 68 x 30 x 13.5 mm. A longer Lipo up to 95mm might work, but width and depth are limited to the battery dimensions of the supplied Lipo.

There seems to be several versions of firmware you can flash to both the quad and the transmitter. My opinion is that if it works as is, don't risk it. My quad came with TX Version: V4.2.24 , LCD V1.3.4 . And Quad Version: V2.1.29 -16 , 501SS: V1.1.38 -31 .

Standard Transmitter

The transmitter displays GPS coordinates, altitude and distance from starting point, speed, roll, pitch, degrees of heading, number of GPS satellites locked onto, quad and transmitter voltages(both numerical and barcode values), camera and video icons and whether they are working, follow me mode, and whether the transmitter is set to GPS or Altitude mode. It probably displays headless mode also, but I have no use for that, so will never test it. Most of the buttons and switches on the transmitter are well labeled and the manual explains most of them. But when I first started with this quad somewhere I read a reference to pushing the enter button. The enter button means pushing the elevator/aileron stick straight down. Don't remember how I finally figured that out. When you turn on the quad and the transmitter, check gyro sensitivity will display, I have so far just waited for it to display compass calibration 1. You have to calibrate the compass each time you want to fly it, just like with the B2W. Calibration 1 means you must rotate the quad while holding it horizontally(away from metallic or magnetic objects). The manual instructs you to do calibration rotations in a clockwise direction, but I found direction doesn't matter. When you have rotated the quad horizontally enough, the transmitter will display compass calibration 2. Then you must hold the quad nose down and rotate it until that display goes away. Then you need the quad and the transmitter out in an open area so the GPS can lock onto some satellites. You have to have at least 6 satellites displayed for the quad to be able to take off in GPS mode. I don't think it matters how many the transmitter locks on to. I have seen up to 11 on the quad and 10 on the transmitter. The transmitter GPS is only used for follow me and return to home, maybe circle me. Any obstructions over the quad or the lower left corner of the transmitter can cause them to lose satellites.

I was fairly disappointed in the FPV signal at first. At 20 meters, the quad would get static and major lines on the FPV monitor that made it difficult to see where the quad was going. I changed the channel on the monitor, and that helped a little, but not much. I did manage to fly it out to 400 meters(1/4 mile) and had a view on the monitor the whole way, but not a good one. That was on channel 5780, the FPV channel the quad came on. Then I changed the antenna on the transmitter to this flat panel antenna: https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-VR-...r_warehouse=CN , and managed to get it out to 40 meters before the picture got bad. Still not that good. Since I had seen on the main H501S thread a method to change the channel on the quad's VTX, I went back and changed channels on the quad and tx to 5740, the channel I use on most of my FPV quads. That improved it greatly, I flew the quad out to 800 meters(1/2 mile) with only some slightly snowy screens(more after 700 meters), and was actually able to see the monitor well enough to fly the quad the whole time.

There are several parameters that can be adjusted in the menu by looking at the transmitter screen. To enter the menu, hold the left stick pointing down. And press the right, it will take you to the system menu. There is a sensitivity setting, you can choose expert or normal and change the sensitivity setting. There is also an option to change the 5.8ghz FPV channel so you can try different ones for possible FPV ranges. To change just the channel in the transmitter, just go into the settings and change it. To change the settings in both the quad and the transmitter, go into the settings in the transmitter while the quad is powered up and hold the transmitter very close to the quad while changing the channels. That is something that took me a while to find out about and try. That is what made the difference between 40 meter FPV range and 800 meters FPV range. My quad apparently came with the quad's FPV channel on 5785 and the transmitter set on 5780. Changing the channel on the quad to 5785 improved signal a little. But changing the channel on both to 5740 improved things a lot.

Some others posted these manual calibrations:

Manual Compass Calibration
LL R (L<->R)
Rotate clock-wise horizontally
Rotate clock-wise vertically

Horizontal Calibration
LR R (L<->R) LEDs blink yellow

Rotation Calibration
LU R (U<->D) LEDs blink yellow
Rotate clock-wise horizontally until LEDs go green.
Stop and wait. LEDs blink again
Rotate clock-wise horizontally again until LEDs return to normal

Recalibrating the Accelerometer
Quad on level surface, left stick to lower right, toggle right stick left and right until lights flash.

I have not tried them yet.

LED lights can be changed by pushing and holding the thottle down trim button.
First change is from blinking to solid(solid works better in low light).
Second change is from solid to no LEDs. Actually adds a little flight time.
And third change goes back to normal flashing LEDs.
One note is that the LEDs will not flash low battery warning when they are turned off.

Conclusions

This is a very nice quad. A beginner might do well with it, but there is a steep learning curve for a beginner. If you are a beginner and are willing to do the research, studying, and put for some effort, you will be able to fly it. Actually, it is easy to fly in GPS mode, but you have to get there first. I am fairly experienced and own about 10 GPS quads, but this one did take a little effort to get used to.

PROS

1. Good looking quad, seems to be well made.
2. Actual flight time of 20 minutes or a little more.
3. Battery actually close to 2700mah rating even though size is about that of other brand 2200mahs.
4. Good 5.8ghz FPV and decent monitor built into transmitter.
5. Stock FPV range can be 1/2 mile(800 meters) or more if on a good FPV channel. With better antenna for FPV on transmitter, I have flown 1 mile(1600 meters).
6. Transmitter to quad range up to 1 mile with no antenna mods.
7. Telemetry and RSSI available on monitor.
8. Four flight modes: GPS, Altitude hold, Headless, and Manual. Selectable using transmitter.
9. GPS and Altitude hold are fairly good.
10. Several parameters can be adjusted using the menu and looking at the transmitter screen.
11. Photos and video can be triggered by transmitter. Video from onboard stock camera and video recorder is fairly good.
12. Propellers come close to balanced.
13. LEDs are good for night flying.
14. LEDs can be changed using transmitter button from default flashing, to solid, on to off.
15. Transmitter comes with a rechargeable 1400mah 2S battery that can be recharged using quad's included battery charger.
16. 250 meter(820 feet) altitude limit.
17. No limit on horizontal range.
18. Return to home if 2.4ghz signal is out of range, transmitter batteries go dead, or if quad battery gets low.
19. Follow me mode and circle a point mode.
20. Easy compass and other calibrations.
21, Recording video with stock VCR does not shorten flight much.
22. Motors seem strong and run cool.
23. FPV monitor sun shield included.
24. RCGroups has comprehensive support thread including support from a Hubsan employee.
25. Quad has been updated and improved since it's introduction.

CONS
1. Must calibrate compass before each flight.
2. Calibrations and other parameter changes by using the transmitter are not well/fully explained in manual.
3. Changing FPV channel on qyad's VTX is not explained in manual.
4. FPV range may be severely limited if optimum channel is not tuned in.
5. Finding optimum FPV channel may be tedious and lengthy operation.
6. Forward speed in GPS and Altitude hold modes is not very fast.
7. GPS lock on quad and transmitter can be a little slow.
8. LEDs hard to see in daylight.
11. FPV monitor is a little small and can be hard to read in bright light.
12. Transmitter lipo good for 3 flights, 4 flights is stretching it.
13. Quad homes in on transmitter for Return to Home unless transmitter signal is lost, then will return to take off point.
14. Main RCGroups H501S thread is lengthy and without all important info gathered in one place.
15. Quad was a new product in 2015, so after 3 years, it is an older model, though it has been updated.

I intend to add more to this blog post as learning, experience, and time permit.
Last edited by siriusflier; Jul 24, 2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added Pros and Cons
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2018, 09:24 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Just adding a few things:
My experience with the TX 1400mah 1C battery is that it will easily last for three non-video 20 minute flights, but might not last through a fourth flight.

Here is a picture of the electronics under the hood showing the black FPV antenna wire going across the silver box on the left, and the 2.4ghz antenna wire connecting beneath the white box second from the right:
Name: zh501fcb.jpg
Views: 514
Size: 748.4 KB
Description:

These pictures show how I ran the FPV antenna outside and connected it to the bottom of the quad before I made the 800 meter(0.5 mile flight): Name: zh501ant.jpg
Views: 485
Size: 607.5 KB
Description: Name: zh501ant2.jpg
Views: 490
Size: 697.5 KB
Description:

Then I got some connector cables and mounted a pagoda antenna on the quad, and external antennas on the transmitter: Name: zh501pagoda.jpg
Views: 510
Size: 562.2 KB
Description: Name: zh501pagoda2.jpg
Views: 484
Size: 504.4 KB
Description: Name: zh501txant.jpg
Views: 488
Size: 380.3 KB
Description:

I have not been able to test the new antenna setup as of 11/24/2018 except to make sure everything is still working..
Last edited by siriusflier; Dec 21, 2018 at 03:17 PM.
Oct 25, 2018, 06:36 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Pagoda antenna added about 12 grams. First flight with it mounted, stock battery, LEDs turned off for entire flght, I timed the flight at 20 minutes and 30 seconds until forced landing. I also flew out until I lost the FPV signal. At about 20 meters altitude, signal got bad at 700 meters, so I took it up to about 40 meters high and completely lost FPV signal at about 940 meters. That is with the cheap panel antenna I bought off of ebay. I have a patch antenna that might work better.
Oct 27, 2018, 09:22 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I did a video test today to compare the GPS hold of the Hubsan H501S-S with that of the MJX B2W. The H501S-S seems to only lock onto 11 satellites, while the B2S usually gets about 16. There was less than a 5mph breeze during this video so wind was not much of a factor. I think the B2W held it's altitude better, but the H501S-S seemed to hold horizontal position better. My first attempt to do this did not result in any video because the SD card I tried does not work. In that attempt, the two quads actually made prop contact, but did not crash. Actually chopped the tip of one of the B2W props off. No obvious damage to the H501S-S. Here is the video:
20180605 230927 (2 min 49 sec)
Last edited by siriusflier; Oct 27, 2018 at 09:41 PM.
Nov 01, 2018, 07:42 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Today I got a second H501S-S with standard transmitter from Tomtop at the sale price of $125.99 US. I managed one flight with it and did a little testing.
It has the exact same version numbers as listed in first post for my first H501S-S.

The battery is slightly larger and fits tighter in the battery bay. It also weighs about 3 grams more. The 5.8ghz FPV came with it set on channel 5795. I put the original set of props from my first H501S on it because I had them off and they have been balanced. Charged up the batteries and took it out to fly. Temperature about 50'F and almost no wind.

Calibrated the compass and waited a couple of minutes until I got 11 satellites on quad and at least 6 on transmitter. Monitor picture was very good so I kept going out farther. Finally stopped at about 800 meters distance and 40 meters altitude. A little static when I was past 600 meters but I was only at about 20 meters high, static went away when I went higher.

What surprised me the most is that I timed the flight at 21 minutes, which is more than the first flights with the first H501S. The battery is discharged a little more though, at rest, 3.45 volts per cell as compared to about 3.55 volts with the other quad. But it is a new battery and the first charge. And I know it is better not to fly until forced landing and that low of a voltage, but this was a test, it was only a test.
Nov 02, 2018, 05:53 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Ok, another range and timed test today. About 65'F and almost no wind. This is with the H501S-S and standard transmitter that I received yesterday, it's second flight. No modifications at all, 5.8ghz channel on 5795, not changed from factory setting.

I started out at about 30 meters altitude and flew almost due south up over a small hill. Somewhere around 800 meters I took it on up to 40 meters to improve signal. Then at about 1000 meters I took it on up to about 60 meters. At that point I was having to hold the transmitter just right to get decent reception. I took it on out to a little over 1300 meters, then decided that was about the limit of the FPV range and turned around. Even though the picture dropped out a few times, I was still able to fly it all that distance and back using the monitor to see where I was going. Maximum speed I saw was 5.1 mps = 18.36kph = 11.41mph. Took about 13 minutes for the round trip with a few stops to adjust height and get bearings. Since I flew it around for about 3 minutes before taking off on that trip, I was a little worried about getting back in time. Also forgot to turn off the LEDs. Still got a little over 21 minutes flight time.

There were a few glitches, was flying holding elevator full forward, and it suddenly stopped going forward a few times. When I got back, had it hovering close by, and it held altitude well, but kept moving forward and backward a couple of meters. And I had 11 satellites on both the quad and the transmitter.

Still fairly impressive to me that a straight out of the box quad(except for balancing props) would get that kind of control and FPV range and fly for that long a time.

I received the cables and antennas to modify the transmitter today and am almost afraid to change them out, but I guess I could always go back if they don't work well enough. This one seems to work better than the first H501S-S I got.
Nov 04, 2018, 12:33 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Yesterday, with these antennas from Banggood: https://www.banggood.com/Hubsan-H501...r_warehouse=CN mounted on my transmitter, I took my second H501S-S with standard transmitter out for another range test. The results were not that good for the transmitter/quad range. At just over 400 meters, the quad suddenly turned around on it's own as if to return home.
So this morning I replaced the original transmitter antenna and since I had a hole where it goes, I routed it out and affixed it to the top of the transmitter.
Name: zh5012.4ant.jpg
Views: 254
Size: 374.0 KB
Description:

Then came the range test with temperature of about 50'F and North winds less than 5 mph. I flew close to due South with about 30 meters altitude. Somewhere around 800 meters the quad suddenly stopped, but did not turn around. I raised the altitude to about 40 meters and went forward again. After a few hundred more meters, I had to go higher and also had to adjust the position of the transmitter to get better FPV reception. After several more adjustments I ended up at about 80 meters up and 1600 meters(1 mile) out. Might have been able to go farther, but reception was weak, and I looked at my stopwatch to see it had been about 10 minutes since I started the props. So I turned around and headed back, actually a little worried that I might run out of battery. Entire flight I was able to see where I was going on the monitor. When I got it back the timer was past 16 minutes. Don't think I would try that flight with the camera recording all of the way. Flight ended at 21 minutes and 30 seconds.

No modifications have been made to the antennas on the quad. Really surprises me that this quad and FPV system can actually be flown out to 1 mile with just small mods to the transmitter antennas. Seems like the panel antenna from Banggood is a good one, the transmitter antenna in that package is crap though.
Nov 05, 2018, 08:53 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
So I wondered how much battery would be used by recording to an SD card, or how much time would be taken by using the video recorder on the quad.
With a fully charged battery, very low wind, and about 70'F, LEDs turned off, I took off. May have flown for a minute to check out the quad before turning on the video recorder. Left the recorder going for most of the flight, turned it off near the very end, recorded an 18 minute, 50 second video. Still got a stopwatch time of 21 minutes. So the recorder does not draw much power.
Nov 05, 2018, 09:11 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I have been looking for a suitable higher mah battery to use in the transmitter everywhere I could think of. Four flights with the stock 1400mah battery is really stretching it, 3 flights are about all that is really safe. I have found a few batteries that would fit with more power, but they are out of stock. I have an 1800mah battery that I think came from one of the MJX Bugs, and it would almost fit in the battery bay. I think width is the most limiting problem, a battery won't fit if it is over 30mm wide. The 1800mah is the right width and not too deep, but the length was a bit of a problem. I took out the AA connectors, had to cut the middle brace out, and cut the end away from the JST connector out. Still can't insert or take out the 1800mah battery with the back of the transmitter in place. The 1800mah battery has an XT-30 connector on it, so I added an XT-30 connector to the transmitter, and I had to cut out part of the ribs on the battery bay door to make room for the XT-30 plugs. But it works. Only one 21 minute flight so far.
I also replaced the stock plugs on the quad and the stock battery with XT-30 plugs.
Nov 12, 2018, 08:35 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Updates, Binding, Calibrations, and Hidden Menus

After over three weeks of owning and flying this quad I have gathered up some information that will help improve the experience of operating it. Some of this information took some studying and searching to find, so I will try to put as much useful information as I can here in one place, for myself for future reference, and for others. This is probably far from a comprehensive guide, but I will add more as I become aware of it and time permits. This represents hours of compilation, interpretation, and typing to get to this.

Updates

1. There have been many updates since this quad was introduced. I have read of many problems people have when trying to update. Mine work well out of the box, no updates needed, Hubsan support staff on RCGroups has posted: if it works well, don't try an update. I agree don't update if it works well as is, update attempts may cause problems.

Binding and Calibrations

NOTE: Before doing any of these calibrations, trims should be centered. Elevator, Aileron, and Rudder trims are centered when you hear a loud beep when pushing the trim buttons. Throttle trim does not beep in the center, only at the endpoints. When pushing the throttle trim button there are 20 clicks from top to bottom, it beeps at top and bottom, so centered is 10 clicks from either top or bottom.

2. First of all binding. Should not need to be done out of the box. If needed, hold photo button down and turn on the transmitter, then power on the quad and place it close to the transmitter. Binding is complete when one beep is heard. Repeat if needed. I have not had to try this.

3. Compass calibration may be requested on FPV monitor before every flight, if not, there is a way to initiate compass calibration.
Compass calibration is asked for on FPV monitor by "Compass Calibration 1". Hold the quad horizontally away form any metallic or magnetic surfaces, rotate either direction a few times until FPV displays: "Compass Calibration 2". The hold the quad vertically with nose down and rotate 360' clockwise or counter clockwise until Compass Calibration 2 goes away. I believe the manual says to rotate clockwise, but I really don't think it matters.
Manual compass calibration can be initiated on Mode 2 transmitter by holding the left stick to the left and moving the right stick left to right several times quickly.

4. Horizontal Calibration can be initiated by holding the left stick to the right and moving the right stick left to right quickly. The LEDs on the quad will blink yellow slowly, when they stop blinking calibration is done.

5. Rotation Calibration is initiated by holding the left stick up and moving the right stick up and down quickly until the LEDs blink yellow. Then rotate the quad clockwise hoizontally until the LEDs go green. Wait for the LEDs to blink again, then rotate clockwise horizontally again until the LEDs return to normal.

6. Recalibrating the Accelerometer is done with the quad on a level surface. Hold the left stick to the lower right, then move the right stick left and right quickly until the LEDs flash. When LEDs stop flashing it is done. I had forward and backward drift on one H501S, it has not happened again since doing this and the stick calibration.

7. Calibrating the transmitter sticks is initiated by holding both sticks to the upper left corner and powering on the transmitter without having the quad powered on. The transmitter display will show "Calibrate Stick Mode 2". Rotate both sticks in circles on the outside for at least three times, release sticks, then press and hold any trim button for 1.5 seconds and the transmitter will beep once to indicate stick calibration is done. Sticks not being calibrated could also cause drift, I did this also when I had forward an backward drift. It seems to have helped.

8. Manual mode is entered after turning on quad and transmitter. First flip toggle switch from GPS to Altitude Hold, then hold the left stick down and push the right stick straight down to enter the menu. Scroll down to Set Manual and click on it, then scroll to OFF and move right stick to the right - it will show ON. Then exit and exit the main menu. You can still switch back to GPS, but the quad may not hold altitude. It is not a true manual mode, I think the gyro and acclerometers are still working.

Hidden menus

1. FPV channel changing is partially explained in the manual. What is does not explain is that to change the settings in both the quad and the transmitter, go into the settings in the transmitter while the quad is powered up and hold the transmitter very close(within at least a meter) to the quad while changing the channels. This will change the channel on the transmitter and also on the quad's VTX, and they will match.

2. There is also a way to access the frequencies the and versions of the transmitter. Hold both sticks straight down(you can feel them click), then turn on the transmitter. It will show the transmitter battery voltage instead of the bar graph, transmitter and FPV channels, version, and LCD version. If you leave it on long enough, it will also give you your GPS coordinates. Mine showed 7 satellites and GPS coordinates while sitting inside my house.
Name: zh501svslcd.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 597.3 KB
Description:

3. You can access the RSSI to monitor it during your flight by powering up the quad and then turning on the transmitter while hoding the video button down. When I did this I think I first turned on the transmitter, powered up the quad, then turned the transmitter back on while holding the button.
Name: zH501S TX RSSI-1.jpg
Views: 37
Size: 473.8 KB
Description:

There may be more hidden menus, but this is all I have found so far. I will add to this post if I find anything else worthwhile.
Last edited by siriusflier; Nov 27, 2018 at 02:20 PM. Reason: UPDATE menu functions/add manual mode procedure.
Nov 17, 2018, 03:59 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Today, 11/14/2018, I checked the RSSI data on the transmitter by flying out to 800 meters(1/2 mile) today. This H501S-S came set on channel 5795 and I have not changed it. I do have a panel antenna on the transmitter. I have flow this quad with that set up out to 1 mile(1600 meters). At 10 meters the 5795 signal strength was at 70, at 100 meters it would fluctuate at around 50, at 200 meters it would still go to 50. At 20 meters altitude and around 6 to 7 hundred meters the signal strength was dropping to losing picture temporarily, but when I raised altitude to 40 meters, it went back up around signal strength of 50. These tests were all done over open ground with no obstacles. I will have to check some other channels to see if I can maintain a stronger signal.

11/17/2018, I went out and tested different channels with th 14dBi XDAModel flat panel antenna on the transmitter, then I switched that for my Triple Patch antenna and tested outside again.

.................... Channel/Signal Strength...................................... With Triple Patch antenna
.......................... 5795......... 5830......... 5740......... 5800............... 5800
Distance
.. 0 meters............. 91............ 91............. 89............. 90................... 92
.10 meters............. 70............ 70............. 65............. 70................... 70
100m/20m high..... 50............ 50............. 50............. 50................... 60
800m/40m high..... 50............ 50............. 50............. NA.................. 50

My conclusions are that there is not a lot of difference in any of the channels at least with this particular H501S-S and it's FPV system. It seems like I have a good XDAModel antenna, I have read about some of these not working well. The Triple Patch antenna may work slightly better than the XDAModel, but there is not a significant difference at long range. These tests could be done better, but for a general estimate of FPV signal strength, they give some info on performance.
Last edited by siriusflier; Nov 17, 2018 at 04:30 PM.
Nov 22, 2018, 08:05 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP

H501S antenna

The last few days I have been testing the first H501S-S that I bought that did not have quite as good signal strength for the FPV straight out of the box. I had changed the channel to 5740 on it and that improved the FPV range, then I also changed the FPV antenna on the quad to a Pagoda style antenna like the ones on my B2Ws that I get very good range with. But the B2W does not have RSSI that you can look at to judge the signal strength at different distances. I tried several different channels on #1 H501S and finally ended up back on 5740, but was not getting nearly as strong a signal as with #2 H501S with stock antenna.

So I decided to switch back to stock FPV antenna on the quad to test the difference from the pagoda antenna. Should have been a simple job of taking the quad apart and unplugging the pagoda antenna then reinstalling the stock antenna, but it wasn't. When I unplugged the IPC connector from the quad's main board, the ground ring came off with the connector. That ground ring is less than 3mm in diameter and I think it was soldered in two places to the board. I had to use my jeweler's loop just to see if it was in the proper place. I tried a little glue to hold it in place before I soldered it, but that didn't work. As soon as I touched it with the soldering iron, it moved out of place, I think the heat melted the glue. I finally put the tiny ground ring back into the IPC connector, then pushed the connector down onto the center pin, put a metal washer on top of the connector, and firmly taped it into place. Then I checked the ground for continuity and turned on the quad to make sure I had a good signal and FPV before re-assembling the quad. All that took a couple of days.

It did work, I got in a test flight today and the stock antenna performed as well or better than the pagoda antenna. Signal strength never went above 85(the #2H501S would get up to 90), but it would stay near 50 out to 600 meters, down to about 40 at 800 meters. I did route the end of the antenna out through the bottom of the quad and pointed it down.

Another thing I had done because of the extra weight the Pagoda antenna and mount added(about 12 grams), is take off the LED lens/landing gear(about 12 grams), and intall clear plastic lens over the LEDs at the end of each arm. Then I used plastic golf tees mounted in the screw holes near the body as landing gear. It reduced the AUW by about 10 grams less than my #2 all stock H501S. Timed test flight came in at 22 minutes and 10 seconds with the LED lights turned on. May not look as sleek, but improved flight time by about 40 seconds.
Name: zh501stees.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 481.3 KB
Description: Name: zh501sante.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 533.1 KB
Description: Name: zh501sleds.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 516.0 KB
Description:

I tried to add photos heretwo days ago and yesterday, but I knew RCGroups was having trouble with photos today. When I tried to drag and drop a photo, it messed up the whole post, and I had to start over. Luckily I had typed most of this in another place before trying to post it. So just copy and paste.

Actually, the AUW of #1 H501S with battery installed is now 450.67 grams, it was 460.60 grams. The #2 H501S with battery weighs 460.98 grams.
Last edited by siriusflier; Nov 23, 2018 at 09:35 PM.
Nov 23, 2018, 10:18 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Yesterday, on the main H501S thread, someone posted that HubsanUS was having a fire sale on the H501S on ebay. They posted that you could probably get one for under $100 US. So I went to check it out. I found a white H501S with a standard transmitter listed at $147 or best offer. Made an offer of $85, they declined. Upped my offer to $99, they declined, said something about that being under their cost, and counter offered it for $139. I passed and pointed out one could buy them at Tomtop US for $120. When that listing ended it showed that someone had bid $147 during the last few minutes. Looked suspicious to me.

I have two white H501S with standard transmitter and I thought it would be nice to have a black one and a pro transmitter. I made an offer of $99 on a black RTF H501S with pro transmitter and was declined on that one too. Still I didn't give up, went and found a BNF black H501S that came with battery and extra props with a minimum bid of $49 and no bids. I waited until about 20 minutes before that one was scheduled to end and went back and checked, there was one bid for $49. Watched it until about three minutes before the end and bid $50, and won that auction. So then I had a black H501S coming from mifly2017, and I think that is just another ebay name for Hubsan US. Still no pro transmitter.

This morning I decided to loook for a pro transmitter. I picked an ebay listing from hubsanus for a pro transmitter that had no bids, minimum bid $69 or make an offer, and ending this morning. I made an offer of $49 and just waited. A while later, they accepted my offer and I bought a pro transmitter for $49. So I did actually end up buying a black H501S and pro transmtter for $99, may not be getting the transmitter battery, but no matter, I have a lipo to use. Free shipping and they are supposed to be here on Dec. 3.

This may be something that is a fairly common experience for many, but I should mention, this is my very first experience with making offers or bidding on anything at Ebay. If the items are good when they get here, I will think I did fairly well for a first try.

Today is my birthday, and I think this makes a fairly good birthday, Christmas present for myself.
Nov 27, 2018, 02:45 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
With the quad lightened by about 10 grams, and the LEDs turned off, I timed a flight at about 22 minutes and 30 seconds, about a minute longer than any previous flight.

Manual Mode
Today I had my first flight to try out Manual mode.
1. First thing I noticed after changing to manual mode on the transmitter is that if the transmitter is turned off, it will reset to default settings that include Altitude hold instead of Manual mode.
2. The throttle stick must be managed, if left spring centered, the quad will gain altitude. Throttle takes a little getting used to in manual mode, with the spring I had it going up and down a lot at first.
3. The gyro and accelerometers seem to both be turned on in manual mode so the quad self levels quickly. No where near an actual manual mode.
4. At first, it seemed like GPS mode had it holding altitude fairly well, but near the end of the flight it was not holding altitude, so you still have to manage altitude when switched back to GPS mode.
5. The biggest change was in forward speed. In normal GPS mode, the highest speed I have seen is about 5 meters per second. In manual mode, I got the quad up to about 15 meters per second. It will get out of site in a hurry.

So there is a little more pitch and roll in manual mode, but not enough to be easily able to do flips and rolls. You are still flying a 6-axis stabilized quad.
Dec 02, 2018, 08:33 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP

new $50 H501S BNF

I received the H501S I bought from miflydone2017 on Thursday, 11/29/2018. It also is actually an H 501S-S. I bound it with a standard transmitter I have and flew it within 1 hour of receiving it. I calibrated the compass and it picked up the satellites normally. Then I flew it and it worked right except for the FPV.
I bound it with my transmitter and it flies okay, but there is no FPV picture on the monitor screen.
I tried almost all of the FPV channels, and checked the signal strength on each channel. Signal strength showed about 35 on all channels, and all I got is a black screen on all channels.
I put a good(tested with my other H501S quad) memory card in the quad, and tried to make a video recording. It did record for 1 or two seconds, then turned itself off. When I tried after that, it did not record again.
There was a red flashing light under the quad where the camera module is located.
The FPV and camera simply did not seem to work, So I took it apart to check the connections.
The antenna was connected and grounded good, the plugs from the camera unit up to the main board were connected good, I unplugged and looked for bent pins, then plugged it back in. There were appropriate looking voltages everywhere I checked, though I don't really know what the voltages should be.
So I opened a ticket on Ebay and of course they asked for a video of the problem.

Then I put the quad back together and was getting ready to make a video. The quad was not bound for some reason, so I had to rebind it to the transmitter. After I had them bound, I decided to try one more time changing channels. I went from 5735 to 5740. And suddenly I had FPV signal and video. Actually turned out to be a very strong signal too. I flew the quad out pat 300 meters and still had good FPV signal and video. Recorded for 5 mninutes and the video came out good.

The only problem I had was after I landed and turned off the motors, I lost the bind and had to rebind. But I did not lose the FPV signal when I lost the bind.
Only possibilities I can think of is that when I was changing channels on the FPV, the quad was not actually bound to the transmitter, so maybe it wasn't actually changing channels on the quad. Or my messing around with the wiring to the VTX and camera connected something that was not making a good connection before. Anyway, if losing bind is the only problem I have with it, I can live with that. And a little while ago, I plugged them both in again, and it was still bound with good FPV signal.?

I checked the H501S version and it is V2.1.50, not sure what that means, my other two H501Ss are V2.1.29. The only other difference I have seen is that I don't have to do the compass calibration every time I pair up this new H501S-S.

Quick Reply