Oct 21, 2018, 07:16 AM
Thread OP
Idea

FPV combat - Dogfight - Lasertag

Hello every body!

I'm starting this new thread because I'd like to share some information , opinions and get some suggestion for a project that I'would really like to became real!
Have you ever dreamed about combat fight with our models? It happened to me a lot of times! Now that FPV is affordable and so popular I have worked on project that will allow FPV aerial fight!(not only aerial).
The system is already tested and is working just fine now I'd like to make it accessible for all the other people that could be interested in it!
I'm planning to start a project on kickstarter to try to start the production of custom PCBs, before that I have to develop and test the final hardware platform.

These are some features:
- lifes and ammo;
- when you shoot someone else, he loose life and part of the control of its aircraft ( plane, drone or other...);
- OSD integration to view cross-hair, lives, ammo, battery levels,current consumption and RSSI;
- power output for LED indication (to show when you are hit or "dead" or other status;
- power output for IR led to shoot other vehicles ( or ground station);
- sensors to allow others to shoot your aircraft;
- RF module support to have a realtime feedback either on player's OSD and future expansions;

UPDATE:
The PCB has been developed and produced, now is under deep testing, check pics an other update in the rest of the thread!

Here is the first "Official trailer" , all the footage are real of the system working in real conditions no fake accepted!
FPV Combat Trailer - Lasertag on FPV plane (1 min 28 sec)

This one is the very first video showing the system working
FPV Combat part 1 (2 min 2 sec)

The rest of the original post:
I'm designing the PCB, I have to choose where to put the pins, if put connectors or just simple servo wires.
I think the best shape would be rectangular, more or less the same size of minimOSD with the main pins on the short side and for the auxiliary
functions some welding pad.
How would you like to be the hardware? give me as many useful information and suggestions as possible!
Let me know if you are interested and what you think...
Last edited by ioteo; Feb 12, 2020 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Update links and description.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2018, 10:41 AM
Hi ioteo

Hows the progress on this?
Would be a really fun spring project for our rc club.

Regards
Christoffer
Dec 28, 2018, 08:23 PM
great idea.
with chibios or inav integration it could be a real beat to have
Dec 29, 2018, 02:46 PM
Thread OP
Hello guys, Iím happy that someone finally answered to this thread...
The first version of the project is actually working just fine.
Due to the limits of micro controller Iím starting to move the project on a different platform (STM32f103) this will take a lot of time.
Iím planning to star a kickstarter campaing in the next spring to start the production of the PCBs.
Do you think is better to start the production of the first version or wait until the final will be ready? The main improvement of the second version will be telemetry for frsky and s.bus support.
Dec 29, 2018, 04:58 PM
Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioteo
- when you shoot someone else, he loose life and part of the control of its aircraft ( plane, drone or other...);
Idea seems good and it may be funny, but you should definitely forget about this part, there are enough reasons for crashing aircrafts alreay. This is not a videogame, losing control can be dangerous irl.
Dec 29, 2018, 05:41 PM
Thread OP
I've tested the function on a plane, where the system was "simply" cutting the throttle...
I could land the model without any problem even if I was not so high.
A lot of people are scared about overriding the control of the plane but in this case I don't think that could be a big deal.
Anyway it can always be set so if you like it you can use that feature if you don't want you don't have to!
Last edited by ioteo; Dec 29, 2018 at 05:42 PM. Reason: grammatical correction.
Dec 29, 2018, 06:19 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
IMO having the FPV FOV get smaller, or feed just be more glitchy would be a nice anolog for being hit.
Dec 30, 2018, 07:18 AM
Thread OP
How much important is to have telemetry and S.bus support?
Dec 30, 2018, 08:04 AM
for me this project is really good idea
Dec 30, 2018, 07:47 PM
Telemetry would be cool for a ground station or some form of coordination system.

Quite a few fly with systems like the crossfire, where the transmitter has a builtin bluetooth repeater, that can be used for bidirectional communication with a pc.

This would technically let you have telemetry flow between the combatants in the air.
as for affecting the plan in the air.
Limit it to a small random input on roll on planes. and either restricted throttle to a value you can setup. Or have it "pulse" the throttle.

There's several in our rc club that have been looking around for a dog fighting system. Iv been keeping an eye on yours for a while, but never posted anything as i was waiting for more updates. But then there was none so i had to ask

If you need some testers we would gladly help.

Not sure if you saw my comment on the Youtube video, but have you considers talking to the inav airplane developers?

This seems like a project that would greatly benefit from interacting with their autonomous code, onboard osd and fully implemented telemetry links.
Like some form of extension module for the inav board.
Dec 31, 2018, 10:18 AM
Thread OP
Hi,

I'm collecting all the ideas and suggestions from different forums and social...
It seems that a lot of people are interested in this project and they would use it on different platform and models. This mean that it will be hard to implement everything needed.
I'm working on this project in my free time (non that much as I'd like to have...) and implement all this stuff will take too long time for me also because I'm not an expert programmer.
I'd love to collaborate with any people who would get interested, but I'd let it for future development...
At the moment I think that I could develop a stand alone PCB with the main features (OSD, shooting gun, receiver, buzzer etc...), start a kickstarter campaign to start the production of the first "release". If the project will be appreciated I'm pretty sure that expert that are working everyday on firmware like beta flight and Inav will implement it in their platforms!
The product that I have in my mind is simple, easy to use and to configure...
You will be able to install it on any aircraft that uses standard PWM signals and have fun with our friends.
Jan 02, 2019, 08:28 AM
Should be able to just connect the dogfight osd between the vtx and the flightcontroller osd.

That way one can keep all the useful osd stuff like artificial horizon/groundspeed/airspeed and so on.

Would be useful for also having things like geofencing and altitude restrictions enabled in the fc.

Regardless, If your up for making a few prototype boards our club would gladly help you with testing
Jan 02, 2019, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
The system should not interfere with other OSD (or flightcontroller with integrated OSD) but I need more testing to be sure about that.
I'll keep you all updated with the progress of the project.
I hope to release it for this spring/early summer!
Jan 02, 2019, 04:42 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
Id even be into it as a single player game. put some random targets in some tough spots around a track. like FPV biathlon.
Jan 03, 2019, 08:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
Id even be into it as a single player game. put some random targets in some tough spots around a track. like FPV biathlon.
Great idea and easy to implement!
I already have some interesting element that we used in the last event of "Drone Kombatt" by www.modeldrome.it
The drone was controlled by two person who had to shoot to some structures...

Here we were testing one of them..
Drone Kombatt - Nuclear Tower test. (0 min 16 sec)
Last edited by ioteo; Jan 03, 2019 at 08:23 AM. Reason: missing parts.

Quick Reply