This thread is privately moderated by Clickety, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 20, 2018, 04:36 AM
Isaiah 40:31
Thread OP
Download

Bae Tempest up to 70mm EDF / Pusher

Work in Progress

6th Generation Stealth fighter concept from British Aerospace.

Plans have moved to :-
www.jetworks.online
Last edited by Clickety; Jan 12, 2019 at 04:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2018, 04:08 PM
What goes up...
Didn't take you long to model that! Looks to have captured all the lines from the limited pictures available. The wing looks huge (thinking reminiscent of YB-22 concept) should be a floater at low speed, but with a decent set up be able to punch through at high speed too.
Keep up the good work.
Nov 09, 2018, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
thanks very much! coming along...
Nov 09, 2018, 07:06 PM
What goes up...
I'm liking the moment calcs, though that bifurcation angle looks severe, do you move fan forward, but battery moves back... or twin 50/64 fans?
Oh the fun of design decisions!
I sketched the plan form out on my desk jotter pad on the day the news broke, but didn't progress from there.... seems every plane I think about you get the jump on modelling, which isn't a bad thing..
Obviously as the design program is still inits infancy it could lend you some design leniency, I fancied canards on the inlets, though I had sketched longer inlets before the wing, which would allow bringing the cofg forward, though obviously deviating from the current press release which is what you are emulating.
Nov 09, 2018, 07:19 PM
What goes up...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F...02_CVA-59.jpeg
Reminiscent of the F4 Skyray from certain angles
Nov 10, 2018, 01:55 AM
Thread OP
I'm glad you like the design, TW, I'm trying to open up a compartment for either an emergency parachute or a 'bomb' drop.

The Bifurcation angle I didn't think was so bad, but I have no experience of them, this is my first bifurcated thrust tube. I thought I would try it and see.

Without the 3d printed tube, I was going to run the thrust tube straight back and 'fake' the rear avionics pod, as I'm not a huge fan of the 50mm EDF's as they are really screamy. I like the efflux whoosh of the 64/70's but at this scale, you could only get one in. you would have to go large.

"seems every plane I think about you get the jump on modelling, which isn't a bad thing.." .. I guess we both have good taste?

Yeah, I'm sure the design is gonna evolve as the program progresses. I hope it progresses and isn't canned. I guess it will have to as the US won't share their Raptors, and after Brexit collaboration may be harder... who knows. Certainly Japan has gone it alone.

Yeah I've tried to emulate the design as much as I can make out - I can't wait until 2035 to capture the lines!!. from certain angles it is a bit ungainly. There's scant information, but I attach some of the images I have found helpful in creating my design...
Nov 17, 2018, 01:20 PM
Looks really great Craig can’t wait to get my hands on this one , like the bifurcated tube, this seems to work for other model manufacturers, like freewilly
Nov 20, 2018, 12:50 PM
The skyray F4 was a plane based on the cutlass , which uk designed and gave to America after WW2 in part payment for loan we borrowed from USA
Dec 31, 2018, 06:36 AM
What goes up...
Wow! someones been busy, looking good!
Dec 31, 2018, 07:02 PM
2 left thumbs!
Subscribed to this one, cool looking jet and some awesome building skills brother!
Feb 23, 2019, 08:18 PM
What goes up...
Happy new year I hope Clickety. You've gone uncharacteristically quiet on this one for the moment, I hope its just simple engineering brain scratching and nothing serious in the personal department. If you need perking you up I'm currently cutting out shapes for your Su 47.
Still got the Mig 29, I enjoy flying her, tho' taxing as I'd glassed 100% so wing loading high, anhedral and high battery position make for a high pilot work load. Can't complain as looks absolute killer in late evening sun.
Last edited by Twisted Wings; Feb 23, 2019 at 08:27 PM.
Feb 24, 2019, 01:19 AM
Thread OP
Happy New year to you TW! Not so quiet, I tend to update Facebook a little more than I do RCgroups at the moment. generally daily in fact. I've been updating the F-16 construction guide, and currently upgrading the A-10 design, so I'm all alive and kicking, losing weight on the Keto diet - feeling good - thanks for asking. The Tempest flies! Still dialling her in at the moment, trying to get the sweet spot with the CG. At the moment, I'm experimenting with separate elevators and ailerons.

Test flight - in difficult conditions....

Bae Tempest (4 min 52 sec)

Sorry the Mig29 is a taxing plane for you. I took a risk with the anhedral wings, but I knew with the EDF version it would fly sweet, and hoped that it wouldn't be too tricky with the pusher version. I thought that a little belly weight could always be added or a flight stabiliser could be added if its a handful. If you watch Jonny pellagro's twin EDF flight though, it handles a dream with really neutral handling.

Jonny Pellegro's Mig-29 HD (2 min 26 sec)

Currently Steve Tuttle is building the Su-47 too, and is making a cracking job of it!
Mar 16, 2019, 07:37 PM
What goes up...
Good to hear you're busy as usual Clickety. Nice to see the Tempest fly. I had hoped to have built and flown all 5th Gen fighters before 6th Gen had come around, but you've moved the game on!!!
Mig 29 is taxing but not in a bad way, my vertical CofG is obviously high and the plane is happier inverted but hey we don't like anything as boring as Cessnas!!
Su 47 is moving on, tho I'm wondering how my small hands are going to hold it for launch!?!
Mar 17, 2019, 01:34 AM
Thread OP
Too Busy!! Work is demanding, and there are too many awesome planes to try and replicate in foam!! I don't have enough time!!!!

With the Mig, try putting weights inside the air intakes to bring the VCG down, or fit a cheap Orange flight stabiliser. might make all the difference.

You might need to fabricate a finger grip on the under belly of the Su-47. Its quite a wide flat body. Would love to see your build pics.

Cessna's Schmessnas! yawn!

Quick Reply