Jun 25, 2019, 12:32 PM
Henke

Is there any basic formula to make a pipe for turbine.

Almost certain is not atomic science calculate basic dimensions.

Building them for sure need some metal skills and specific equipment.

Cheers

Juan
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2019, 12:56 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771
NICE !!

Do you have any vids of the 3D printed pipe?

Thx in advance
Sure, tatanium, 85gram weight. The shape is very much limited to the little aircraft it went in to. Else it makes no sense making it in that shape or with the EBM printer.

Impossible (0 min 43 sec)

Freewing A6 Turbo, Soloshot 3 (7 min 38 sec)
Jun 25, 2019, 01:05 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom 3D
Would be nice to add power with just a proper pipe! Are you getting the x45 or k45g3 to test it?
The manufacturers are quite eager asking questions while developing, but I think I fly way to many orange engines to be trusted with test units from the other guys. I'm happy to help as always but I don't have the money to buy engines I don't need just for testing. I fly the Lamberts as you know and as long as they put out more power it makes no sense getting a K or X engine. I'm happy to borrow and test units, but most are not too exited doing that either as the numbers found are not always what they like to be shown.

Old test side by side for example. Fun to know and interesting to measure with external sensors

P20SX vs Kolibri T25-HP (9 min 9 sec)
Jun 25, 2019, 01:12 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjulian
Henke

Is there any basic formula to make a pipe for turbine.

Almost certain is not atomic science calculate basic dimensions.

Building them for sure need some metal skills and specific equipment.

Cheers

Juan
Yes! It's about making a good envelope tailor made for the airplane and it's engine. Air inlets sized properly togeather with the engine and pipe of use for the expected speeds you would see. Testing things dynamic is hard. And as the turbines got so much power compared to EDF for me it makes most sense just testing static making the static thrust as high as possible as that it the weak point of the turbine.

So, instead of calculating too much just pop the engine in the test bench open a beer and toy around for a while.

I mean for testing the engine won't care if your tube happens to be a waterpipe or exhaust from a corvette... just find a 38mm pipe, 45mm pipe, 50mm pipe or what ever and test it. Make a bell mouth from kitchen cookware. A prototype won't need to be too fancy, just functional.

HAB Electronic test and tune bench (1 min 45 sec)
Jun 25, 2019, 03:20 PM
Well I likely will try the x45 with Grumania 46mm at 52cm length for my next project. I likely would not have tried this as Grumania suggest the bigger size but have already seen Henke had good results with Super Viper and T50 with the smaller pipe.

End of day if it does not work out during testing it will be usable for k30 even if not optimum.
Jun 25, 2019, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke
The manufacturers are quite eager asking questions while developing, but I think I fly way to many orange engines to be trusted with test units from the other guys. I'm happy to help as always but I don't have the money to buy engines I don't need just for testing. I fly the Lamberts as you know and as long as they put out more power it makes no sense getting a K or X engine. I'm happy to borrow and test units, but most are not too exited doing that either as the numbers found are not always what they like to be shown.

Old test side by side for example. Fun to know and interesting to measure with external sensors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkH_ezJU6Hg
I understand. I know a bit off topic, I will be just keeping my T35 but I'd like to keep it as updated as possible. How do you like the new ECU? I contacted Amir on cost for upgrade and nearly spit out my coffee Does the extra performance justify the price?
Last edited by Doom 3D; Jun 25, 2019 at 04:47 PM.
Jun 25, 2019, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke
Sure, tatanium, 85gram weight. The shape is very much limited to the little aircraft it went in to. Else it makes no sense making it in that shape or with the EBM printer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cucHLe6Wv6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKtW-rn1dkk
Do you have any interest in selling these pipes?

Thx in advance
Jun 25, 2019, 11:15 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771
Do you have any interest in selling these pipes?

Thx in advance
Sure but its a $7500 thingy....

You would also need a custom fuel tank....

The A6 conversion is impossible, so I really had to put hours in that one to make it work.
Jun 27, 2019, 09:04 AM
Quote:
I understand. I know a bit off topic, I will be just keeping my T35 but I'd like to keep it as updated as possible. How do you like the new ECU? I contacted Amir on cost for upgrade and nearly spit out my coffee Does the extra performance justify the price?
If you have had the opportunity to fly your new ecu.
Jun 27, 2019, 01:42 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Quote:
If you have had the opportunity to fly your new ecu.
Sure will chime in more in a bit when back at the computer.
Jun 27, 2019, 04:22 PM
Hi! I am Jet Skyhawk and have a question about getting an airplane for my 30" ram-jet glow plug engine I have. Can anyone help me ??
Jun 28, 2019, 01:36 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Skyhawk
Hi! I am Jet Skyhawk and have a question about getting an airplane for my 30" ram-jet glow plug engine I have. Can anyone help me ??
We need a new thread on this togeather with pictures of the engine.
Jun 30, 2019, 07:48 PM

Ram Jet Engine

Hey guys, I'm new to this, and don't know how to post a picture of the engine. It is a "Dyna Jet " glow plug engine about 30" long with the exhaust pipe being about 20 " of the 30" length. The combustion chamber is a square enclosure about 2" long and 2" wide , with a glow plug inserted to get the engine started. By pulsing air into the chamber with an air pump, the fuel gets ignited, the explosion force closes the four reed valves to the front, and the exhaust goes out the back. This process sucks new air mixed with fuel in through the reed valves and the engine fires again. Hence, a pulse jet engine!! ( about 40 to 60 years old, and works good! )
James - Jet Skyhawk
Jul 01, 2019, 12:29 AM
Tbh buddy you need to open a new thread, your pulse jet is not a k30 and you will get very little interest/love here as your question is out of topic. It's generally against forum etiquette to do this.
Jul 01, 2019, 06:43 AM
used to build now i fly
yes i suggest you look into starting a new thread within the fuel jets section asking for pulse jet airframe suggestions.. my personal thoughts are the tamecat prop f14 and such older prop jet planes should allow you to mount the pulse jet on top.. i have seen them mounted to performance gliders too.... have fun and should you want to go full turbine we will hear from you again here in sure..........

Quick Reply