Oct 18, 2018, 04:08 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

NV14 Frsky Modules XJT DJT

Hey everyone

We have noticed there are some issues running the XJT and DJT modules, some people are managing to and some are not. However we can confirm this is a voltage issue, if you are technical minded you can fix this yourself by replacing a resistor to increase the voltage. I have attached a picture to this post showing the resistor that needs changed.

We will have this change made for all future batches of the NV14.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2018, 01:05 AM
Can you please elaborate a litte bit more what is changed by this modification?
Is the supply voltage of the JR module bay raised? If so, from which to which level?
Is the supply voltage cut completely when no external module is selected in the transmitter?

Thank you in advance!
Oct 20, 2018, 09:55 AM
Is there a warranty service path for this?
Does this DIY fix void warranty?
Is there more technical detail available for the mod? Such as recommended values for specific voltages? The specs for the bay are pretty well established, it never occurred to us as buyers something so basic would be so broken.

I'm trying very hard to suppress my reflex to rant on how something like this escapes QA. Apparently voltage isn't the only thing way out of spec, the voltage drops to battery voltage when disabled and doesn't turn off. Why are we not hearing about a recall or warranty process to address these issues? Hearing that future versions will be fixed doesn't help anybody who supported you in the beginning.
Oct 20, 2018, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhmEye1 View Post
Hearing that future versions will be fixed doesn't help anybody who supported you in the beginning.
Oct 31, 2018, 01:43 PM
Just did the mentioned swap on one of my available nirvanas. It requires a complete disassembly of the transmitter, but this can be done with patience.

The required soldering is in a different league, in my case a hot air rework station with VERY steady hands (tweezers) was required. The resistors to be exchanged are really tiny and you donīt want to move or solder-bridge any surroundings of them.

The external module bay supply voltage is now at max. 6.4V when external module is enabled (before 5.0V).
This meets the specified demand of power supply of the external modules I know about.

However, when disabled it is still 3.9V which means FrSky R9M (and Crossfire probably also) will stay turned on until complete transmitter shutdown.
Last edited by M8A4X; Oct 31, 2018 at 10:54 PM.
Nov 01, 2018, 02:14 AM
Ok, let me understand. Before changing the resistor, voltage of the external module was 5v. Now changing the resistor it will be 6.4. I'm using crossfire, so the voltage required by micro tx is 3.5 - 13v. So what is the advantage of doing this mod?
Nov 01, 2018, 04:31 AM
In case of crossfire you gain nothing from this mod as far as I can tell.
Operation should be without any problems, it only seems to not power down completely when no external module is selected.

The mod only gets the supply voltage within the specification of e.g. Frsky DJT / XJT modules or similar which require 6 - 13 / 15Volt according to their manual.
Nov 01, 2018, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8A4X View Post
In case of crossfire you gain nothing from this mod as far as I can tell.
Operation should be without any problems, it only seems to not power down completely when no external module is selected.

The mod only gets the supply voltage within the specification of e.g. Frsky DJT / XJT modules or similar which require 6 - 13 / 15Volt according to their manual.
My external full crossfire module shows the signal output strength fluctuating between 10 and 100mw even though dynamic power is turned off. Would the mod help fix this? Is this reading from the Crossfire module's external display inaccurate? Also, I get constant low battery warnings when the external Crossfire module is plugged in. How do I fix that?
Nov 02, 2018, 12:13 AM
No crossfire tx module (full nor micro) available here so no testing possible.

In general even the unmodded 5V supply of the module bay should be sufficient for crossfire as itīs voltage range is from 3.5 - 13V.
There will be a transmit power limitation due to limit of current supply of the module bay. This is where you would switch to an external power supply for the module. Not sure where the transmit power limit is when only module bay power supply is provided.

Regarding the low battery warning check your battery range and battery low alarm settings in the transmitter menu.
Just for reference here are my settings: Battery range 3.4 - 4.2V, Battery low alarm 3.6V.
Nov 02, 2018, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySkyRC View Post
Hey everyone

We will have this change made for all future batches of the NV14.
Hello FlySky,

Can you please confirm when models with this hardware change will be purchasable?

Thank you!
Jan 22, 2019, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beison8000 View Post
Hello FlySky,

Can you please confirm when models with this hardware change will be purchasable?

Thank you!
Hopefully when hardware includes this fix and also the jr module bay power issue and shutting off properly when turning off the external rf
Jan 28, 2019, 05:05 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by beison8000 View Post
Hello FlySky,

Thank you!

Don't expect a reply soon, this is from FlySkyRC's RCG page: Last Activity: Dec 28, 2018 11:16 AM

Support doesn't seem to have changed much since the scam with the promised replacement receivers for the many unhappy A8S customers...
Jan 29, 2019, 04:14 PM
Jet Foamy addict
Any idea if you can lua scripts on the NV14, need to run one for the S8R for configuration of the receiver
Jan 30, 2019, 08:28 PM
Jet Foamy addict
Just tried new load LUA do execute but crashing the radio
Feb 03, 2019, 08:59 AM
I should read this before I purchased Nirvana.

Can anyone confirm this issue resolved in latest radios?

Quick Reply