Oct 17, 2018, 08:59 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

As a beginner, what factors do you consider when you buy a first new drone?

As a beginner, what factors do you consider when you buy a new drone?

i want to know what will you guys consider about your first drone,for me ,it is not expensive and practical,but it is different for everyone's needs, so how about you?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2018, 09:57 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Depends on what you feel you want to do with the first one. Primarily too many people bite off more than they can chew and expect things and functions that just plain aren't anything a normal prudent person would do. And either waste alot of money, or blow a bunch, crash and walk away from the hobby/sport.

Your first Quad (Save drone for later) should have fast change, cheap batteries. With that you should expect to buy a good bit of them, 5 or more. Your gonna get a brushed motor set up, no camera or a "potato cam" if anything. You should be focused on learning to fly more than anything else.

The ability to train your hands to your mind and know what the aircraft is doing at all times and lock that into your flying skill set is paramount. You shouldn't have to figure out orientation with a quad (As mainly all sides look the same) You should be ahead of the maneuvers with knowing that you inputted the commands and be able to visually see that the aircraft is doing what you told it to do and your one step ahead of it at all times.

You need to instill from there how to instinctively react if there is a issue and you have indeed lost the orientation and how to input commands to recover your line of site to bring it back to your track of flight. You need to know how to automatically reverse controls when it is flying towards you without thinking of it (Left is now Right...ect). You, your mind, to the remote to the aircraft must become one...yeah I know it sounds like the force and Star Wars But that is what a good pilot must become.

These aircraft are cheap, light and not easily damaged...your basically talking in the $50 range all in. You must learn (Well should) on one of these first and resist the temptation of speeding more on some wiz-bang feature set to impress friends.

So that is what I think a first drone "Should" be....and quite honestly if your smart, you should too!
Oct 17, 2018, 11:14 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Durability and low cost are the primary considerations. Nothing else matters much, assuming you're not considering a WiFI or IR controlled quad and are focused on quads you fly with "real" transmitters.

For durability, size matters. Smaller tends to be more survivable. A side benefit is that smaller tends to do less damage to things it hits. Smaller quads can be flown indoors when the conditions outside don't meet your needs. Smaller tends to be cheaper, too. So you can afford to buy replacement parts to repair your crash damage. Because you will crash. At first, you'll probably crash a lot.
Oct 18, 2018, 06:41 AM
Registered Fanatic
Most newbies would benefit greatly starting out learning on a simulator. You can crash a sim all day & no worries.

If you try to start with a real drone especially something fancy, the 1st crash/repair will likely cost more than the cost of the simulator.
Oct 18, 2018, 06:49 AM
Start off with something small and cheap (under say $40-50); that way you can practice without much thought about all the costs and like others have said: small quadcopters are more forgiving when crashed. This way you'll gain invaluable 'stick time' and meanwhile you can ask yourself what you'd like next based on your own actual experience. Much cheaper to make your beginners mistakes (which you're going to make!) with a cheapo quad than something fancier.
Oct 18, 2018, 07:33 AM
Sky Viper S1750

It has all the training wheels and really rips in high rates.
Oct 18, 2018, 08:22 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for you guys' help and advice. I probably know that for a newbie, the price is not very important. The most important thing is to learn how to operate a drone and learn the basic steps. This is a small success in one stage
Oct 18, 2018, 08:38 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
A good series of drones to look into for learning purposes these days are the Visuo models. There's even a Visuo GPS model out now for around $79, but it's 100% toy grade stuff. Fun to fly and learn on without having to worry about spending a lot of money, but full of interesting features.

There's always the classic syma x5c-1 too.
Oct 18, 2018, 08:54 PM
FA3PR9WM79
I'd go with a Syma X5 and avoid the X8 (and every thing else with brushed motors running on 2S).

I have 2 X5s. One I bought as an X5-SW with the WiFi camera and the other is a rebuild of an X5-C that a friend tried to burn up. I have upgraded the SX to "real" 5.8gHz FPV and its perfect for chasing the cat... .

Quads like the Syma X8 use larger motors that are actually rated for 3 volts, but they are being driven at 7 volts. The big failure point are the brushes. The brush compound is WAY too soft and the grain size of the carbon/copper aggregate is too large. Both of these issues combined guarantee premature motor failure due to rapid brush wear. BTDT with a WL Toys V262, threw the POS quad in the trash.
Oct 18, 2018, 09:18 PM
Thread OP
yes,but if it too cheap,i am afraid of that the quality is not good,in a word,buy a highly cost effective drone。hh。good luck
Oct 18, 2018, 09:23 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
The quality will "not" be good if it's cheap.

The point of buying a cheap drone is to learn how to fly, so that when you buy an expensive drone later on you will be better equipped to fly it.

Spending $1000 on a high quality drone is great, but not if you crash it the next day. I'm not saying you will, there are many people who have started just like that and have never crashed a day in their life. But getting some flight experience on a toy grade model is both fun and will teach you a lot about flight in a worry-free way regardless.
Oct 18, 2018, 10:04 PM
FA3PR9WM79
This is the exact aircraft I have: Syma X5-SW.

Syma makes a good product and repair parts are readily available.
Oct 21, 2018, 08:35 PM
Thread OP
My friend bought a not cheap drone, but he was still a beginner. After playing for not-long time, he was a little tired, a bit speechless, haha. Will there be such friends around you?
Oct 21, 2018, 09:01 PM
Fast access to spare parts! I build my own quads now, but my first few were RTFs from Horizon Hobby (Blade Nano QX, Torrent 110). I had been flying planes before I bought my first quad, and found it really frustrating to have to wait weeks for spare parts to arrive from overseas. I could have HH parts delivered in 24 hours from a local stockist so that helped keep me in the air when I was still learning.
Oct 22, 2018, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route666 View Post
Sky Viper S1750

It has all the training wheels and really rips in high rates.

+1 really tough and nice control

Quick Reply