Jan 13, 2019, 04:18 AM
PhatPastor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mianos View Post
Seems, even thought the lost alarm beeper has a little ST15L MCU on board it does not seem to have any smarts as far as disabling it aside from pressing the button (or mine is faulty) so I whipped it out and put a buzzer and led strip instead. I like the led strip for status anyway. The target is OMNIBUSF4SD as I thought. I updated it to the latest. I also upped the blheli32 PCM frequency to 30Khz. This thing is a stealth flyer even with the stock Cyclone T7056 props. I am going to order a few bi-blade 7" props for a bit of fun next.

What receiver did you go with? Mine came in late today! Iím going crossfire and maybe GPS from the start!
I donít know anything about smartAudio via lua scripts??? I may just fly for a while before it try the GPS.
When I put the little RDQ gps in it Iíll only use betaflights RTH failsafe and switch RTH just to get it back close to me.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2019, 04:33 AM
I put a Flysky in with my long range PCB patch antenna. Living near the city and airport I don't have much opportunity to test the range.
Jan 14, 2019, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatPastor View Post
So did you leave the green SmartAudio wire connected to the original spot?
Or did you move it to another uart? Tx4 for smartAudio. And tx6 and RX6 for gps???

Also have you had a chance to test the gps? My quad should be here next week.
I know it will be clear once I have the quad in front of me. I just like to do research first then hopefully setup once!

Thanks for sharing what you have got going on.
In the (long) post I made. Moved green wire to CH4 on Crossfire Nano RX and it saw it right away via the lua script.

I have not ordered the GPS yet, it's just my next move.

Quote:
I think Betaflight has some rather immature but working GPS 'return to home'. Joshua Bardwell did a vid on setting it up. I won't be trying iNav on the G730 until I swap the FC from one of my other quad-copters as the basic all in one FC on the G720 does not have a barometer. I'll probably put an Matek CTR in
Actually this is interesting enough. Betaflight years back (circa Naze32) had full GPS, it was more sophisticated. Then their flight code got better and in doing so took up more space on the board, so they chose to drop GPS all together at the time to make space for their flight code. iNav is based on an older Betaflight. At the time, they took the BF that still had GPS and made their spin off to continue with an emphasis on GPS. Now flash forward to today where we have more space again on the boards (memory), BF can now fit basic GPS on again but kept it simple because of what BF is geared towards, best flight performance in small kwads with GPS being more of a failsafe than targetting automation and the like.
Jan 14, 2019, 10:29 PM
PhatPastor
I think with a year or so we will see more movement to gps on small race and freestyle to quads. Also more HD mid to long range 3” and 5”.
Jan 15, 2019, 02:27 AM
Quote:
I think Betaflight has some rather immature but working GPS 'return to home'. Joshua Bardwell did a vid on setting it up. I won't be trying iNav on the G730 until I swap the FC from one of my other quad-copters as the basic all in one FC on the G720 does not have a barometer. I'll probably put an Matek CTR in
My Kopis 2 does have a barometer. Something to play with perhaps.
Jan 15, 2019, 04:35 AM
I got my G730L last week. Build quality was better than I expected. I relocated the XT60 to outside of the metal frame and moved the VTX antenna to the upper plate. I was going to use a Crossfire Micro I had, but will go with the CF Nano instead and a BN180 GPS.

How did you guys mount your CF RX antenna?

@PhatPastor GPS along with DVR footage helped me recover my 5" quad. The GPS unit sits under the battery strap. Anything I plan on flying 1/2 mile or more will have GPS from now on.

Thank you guys for posting your mods and pics.
Jan 15, 2019, 11:59 AM
@mondy, the micro as you know comes with the regular "soft" antenna, not the immortal T, so i printed these very basic antenna tube mounts:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1236535

And then since I didn't run the side plates (need to get to the buzzer and usb so until I mod the plates, they are useless) I ran them as shown:
Jan 15, 2019, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesblake View Post
@mondy, the micro as you know comes with the regular "soft" antenna, not the immortal T, so i printed these very basic antenna tube mounts:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1236535

And then since I didn't run the side plates (need to get to the buzzer and usb so until I mod the plates, they are useless) I ran them as shown:

That's a good solution. I had planned on scraping the side panels.
Jan 15, 2019, 10:28 PM
PhatPastor
Ok Iím about to install the crossfire nano....
So can I connect RX to P/S and TX to RX1???
Jan 15, 2019, 11:30 PM
No because UART1 is inverted for SBUS, Crossfire is a non-inverted protocol. You must do what I did earlier in the post. Either use T6 and R6 if you are not planning on GPS, or use T3 and R3 moving the green wire currently on there to CH4 on Crossfire nano.
See the Bardwell video in the post, it does a full walkthrough because you'll need to set the protocol and do some stuff on your TX too.
Jan 16, 2019, 05:11 AM
PhatPastor
I think I may have ruin my FC... GOT SOLDER INSIDE THE USB. I tried to flick it out. The I tried to wick it and that only made it worse. Iím shipping it to a friend to see if the FC can be saved!
Jan 17, 2019, 08:44 PM
OK all you self-build pros... do I have to unstack the vtx module to get at the flight controller to wire up the receiver (in this case a FrSky r-xsr)? Is it a plug or solder pads? Is it clear what's what? Does this thing speak sbus? How do you all know this with no documentation? Are all controllers basically the same?
Jan 17, 2019, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
OK all you self-build pros... do I have to unstack the vtx module to get at the flight controller to wire up the receiver (in this case a FrSky r-xsr)? Is it a plug or solder pads? Is it clear what's what? Does this thing speak sbus? How do you all know this with no documentation? Are all controllers basically the same?
Well, it would certainly be easier, but they are solder pads and they are all on the top for that rx so technically you could get in there with a small point and a steady hand.
See my earlier post where I attached the wiring layout for the board. You want +5, ground and sbus which are all right next to each other, top of board, left side of kwad, under VTX.
Jan 17, 2019, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesblake View Post
Well, it would certainly be easier, but they are solder pads and they are all on the top for that rx so technically you could get in there with a small point and a steady hand.
See my earlier post where I attached the wiring layout for the board. You want +5, ground and sbus which are all right next to each other, top of board, left side of kwad, under VTX.
Cool. I see that (on the right side, right?). And I've got the equipment to do those little solders. Last question... where does the audio going to the VTX come from? Can I just use the #3 UART's Tx port and then tell BetaFlight about it? I want to make sure these tiny solder jobs are going to be correct.

Thank you.

EDIT: I've got to read some more. I'm not clear on what's required for SmartAudio.
EDIT 2: OK, I got it now.
Last edited by erkq; Jan 17, 2019 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply