Jan 31, 2019, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogasrc
Yeah My typo RCGF 15 cc
I believe that will be way too much power for the B-24. Plus you will need motor isolators due too vibration.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2019, 08:21 PM
Thread OP
I think with all the bells and whistles hooked up 15cc with scale 3 blade props would be perfect. and that its stand offs for mounting if you needed idolators it be super easy to add.
Feb 01, 2019, 01:48 AM
They claim to have FA-40s in the prototype, and they haven't even shown us a flight video yet. I don't think considering a gas 15cc is out of line at this point. But either way, it won't fit under the cowl.
Feb 01, 2019, 08:23 AM
I don't have any experience with the rcgf 15cc, but I DO have experience with the evo 15cc. I did an A/B comparison in an old H9 mustang with a OS .91fs. The evo was a drop in fit so no hacking was done. I found that the OS and EVO performance was exactly the same. Based on that, I also have experience with the Don Smith B-17 and American Eagle B-17. My DS is 138" at 55lbs. It's loaded with all the frills and flys great on those engines. I also have the same engines in the AE. It's ws is 120" and weight is 41lbs. Way way way over powered.

Knowing that, I have to conclude .91 4-strokes are gonna be too much. At 110", there's not gonna be very big cowls. The .40's sound like they will fly it fine, but I'd be more inclined to put something in the .56 to .65 or so range. You WILL at some point have an engine out. Normally a single engine out is not a big deal, lean on the rudder a bit and level with the ailerons. 100" WS is my cutoff where I'd consider electric. Long ago I had an Aerotech B-17 at 96" ws. It had Magnum 32's in it. That ate up a bunch of cowl and being 2-strokes, had issues with a low enough idle, kept walking away from me. It took off at half throttle, flew like a mustang, and landed like a F-14 Tomcat. It was fun, but a lot of work.

Just my opinion, but my engine of choice would be the saito .56. I ran a pair of those in a H9 B-25, perfect match.

My DS B-17 and Mike Liables DS B-24. My favorite picture. Those moments don't happen very often.
Edwin
Feb 01, 2019, 01:27 PM
No kidding, almost perfect formation. Great picture!
Feb 01, 2019, 01:37 PM
As to the engine size, I guess I would look for the physically smallest engine available rather than just the right power. I REALLY hate cutting up cowls.

I wonder if the FG-19R3 would fit...?
Feb 12, 2019, 04:13 PM
For those that aren't on the mailing list, container was due in port this morning and he hopes to ship next week. Getting excited!
Feb 12, 2019, 04:18 PM
I love Corsairs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmeade
As soon as you get that PDF, could you shoot me a copy, or upload it here for us to read please?

I've had VQ stuff in the past, build is usually good (if a little heavy) but the finish can be a little too glossy.
I still don't have it.
Feb 13, 2019, 12:38 AM
Thread OP
The 15cc for me are not set in stone I like a bit more power then standard but first and foremost Is dependability when my 24 arrives and I'm chopping at the bit. I will see the cowls n figure out what engines are best !!
Feb 14, 2019, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricboy
I believe that will be way too much power for the B-24. Plus you will need motor isolators due too vibration.
No such thing as too much power! You can have too much weigh or be too big, but as long as you have a throttle you can make the power what ever it needs to be.
Latest blog entry: Assembling a Spandau kit.
Feb 14, 2019, 07:34 PM
I witnessed some damage due to elevator flutter on an over powered B-17, this was a lot of years ago. It made it to the ground but had a lot of damage due to limited control and landed hard. My B-17 got some sudden rudder flutter after and an ignition upgrade that got me a bit more speed. It happens fast. If you build it yourself and you know how strong everything is, no problem. But an arf is an unknown. I crashed a perfectly good flying H9 hellcat when I changed the engined from a saito 1.00 to a dle20. First throttle up to full throttle fluttered both stabs and broke them and down it came. Just saying, there is a limit. BTDT.
Edwin
Feb 19, 2019, 01:14 PM
I thought the same thing about the fuel... right on the edge of being able to use gas and glow would be $$$$ plus four 2 strokes would make the thing sound like a weedwhacker.

Although I suppose something like four .30 or .52 magnum glows wouldn't be too bad on fuel and they are cheap. Think four .30 four strokes would power this thing for lazy scale flying?
Last edited by scottydsntknow; Feb 19, 2019 at 01:23 PM.
Feb 19, 2019, 04:43 PM
No idea. No experience with this one. I like a little extra for a single engine out.
Edwin
Feb 19, 2019, 05:56 PM
Thread OP
If you set the engines with the correct thrust angle the model should fly even if you lost one or even two engines.
Feb 19, 2019, 08:42 PM
I love Corsairs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogasrc
If you set the engines with the correct thrust angle the model should fly even if you lost one or even two engines.
WHat does thrust angle have to do with that?

Quick Reply