Jul 08, 2019, 02:51 AM
Lol all the gliders we have here in Spain are up way longer than 10 minutes plus Saturdays its only a few of us, basically have the field to ourselves. Also I grew up flying before all the electrics started taking over and 10-15 minute flight times were the norm so... ppl who want me to fly 4 minutes and land can wait.

Anyone know of one of these that has flown on gas/glow yet?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2019, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
I believe Thomas at VQ models has one with Saito 40 fourstrokes nitro engines
Jul 09, 2019, 01:36 AM
I know the Vietnamese who first put the prototype together had 4 strokes in it from the video that got posted awhile back. But I mean I'd like to see someone who got one of the actual ARFs do it.

I'm gonna do it, I'm just going to have to figure out WHEN. I have 2 or 3 other planes in front of me right now plus actual life stuff that requires money... damn life stuff...
Jul 15, 2019, 05:07 AM
So starting to pick up/break in the engines for this thing on a mule trainer. Plan on purchasing the silver one sometime in the fall and then getting it together over the winter. Thinking ASP/Magnum .52s converted to CDI. On 0% nitro fuel I can turn a 12x6 or 11x8 2 blade prop at 9300 RPM all day so thinking four 10x7x3 or something along those lines.

Anyone know what size fuel tanks come with this thing/size allowances in the wings?

My biggest issue is definitely going to be shipping, likely will have to be international and then VAT on top of that if I can't get a VAT exemption. If the box is 70x20x10 I might be able to go with MilAir shipping but IIRC its not that size? Max size for me is 130" length+girth so 70+20+10+20+10 is literally right at the max.
Jul 15, 2019, 12:00 PM
Thread OP
My composite B-17 is 120" span I'm looking at RCGF 9 cc gasser but I'm going to bench run each and mount them on a stick and make darn sure there dependable.
Jul 15, 2019, 03:31 PM
Would look forward to hearing how they work. I've heard mixed reviews on them. Seen people claim they work well and seen run-in videos on youtube where they work fine but a lot of others on here say they don't run worth a damn. Recommend thinking about getting a high wing trainer or 10cc size Stik or something to run them in on... those chinese rings take a pretty good amount of time to seat...
Jul 15, 2019, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow
Would look forward to hearing how they work. I've heard mixed reviews on them. Seen people claim they work well and seen run-in videos on youtube where they work fine but a lot of others on here say they don't run worth a damn. Recommend thinking about getting a high wing trainer or 10cc size Stik or something to run them in on... those chinese rings take a pretty good amount of time to seat...
Exactly why I'm going to run each on there own !
Jul 15, 2019, 03:41 PM
I will be doing the same thing next year on my AE
B-17. I didn't know rcgf had a 9cc. I just bought a rcgf 10cc for use in club trainers. Glow fuel is getting harder to come by. If the 10cc works out, I'm planning on trying it in my multis.
Edwin
Jul 16, 2019, 01:31 AM
They don't, there is a NGH 9cc, RCGF's smallest is a 10cc.
Jul 17, 2019, 02:36 PM
Anyone have a good phone number or more reliable way to contact VQ than the web form? Trying to figure out shipping on this monster and if it is truly 70x20x10 it can go MilAir but that's literally the max size it can be as 130" is the limit length+girth. I just had a Phoenix P-40 shipped out here that came in at 129.5" lol.

edit: Nevermind I'm an idiot, the phone hotline number is at the bottom of the homepage...

edit2: nobody picking up. oh well i'll try later...
Jul 24, 2019, 09:14 AM
The RC Geek
Hey Guys,

Got video of my B-24 flight posted on my channel last night. There's still more work to be done (mostly in the form of sorting out the bomb bay doors) but the airplane flies absolutely beautifully!

Chris
http://thercgeek.com

From the Field -- VQ Warbirds 110" B-24 Liberator Flight & Initial Thoughts (The RC Geek) (11 min 28 sec)
Jul 24, 2019, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
Saw the video great flight, looked very stable. The only thing missing was the noise of gas engines!!! Way to quiet for me.....
Aug 19, 2019, 10:07 PM
I got a little sidetracked on the "rolling door". All the parts are printed and installed in the plane, and I just need to route the pull-pull cable (Kevlar string).

But the reason I stalled is that I got the idea to stuff the bomb bay with spring-loaded exploding bombs. Normal plastic bombs kind of look like duds hitting the ground, so I thought it would be cool to have a spring that throws a little debris up in the air.

Here is a bomb design that has a compression spring inside, and when the "detonator" pushes the tail off the back, the whole thing pops open and throws the load into the air. I just got it working, and tried it once (video below). I used rice flour for the load, and unfortunately it wasn't the freshest rice flour, so it was basically a clump. But you can see one clump flew up about a meter in the air. So I think with better powder, this can work well. Better than a passive plastic bomb, anyway.

I think 16 of these can fit in the B-24. I will post the files on Thingiverse. This was printed in ABS plastic.

Spring-loaded RC bomb (0 min 5 sec)

Quick Reply