Oct 16, 2018, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
New Product

VQ 110" B-24 Liberator

VQ Models is about to release this 110" wing Liberator it's all wood ARF you can get as ARC, or plane silver/grey or OD

Some B-24 Liberator History:

The Consolidated B-24 Liberator was designed with the high aspect-ratio Davis Wing. In combat, the wing had drawbacks as far as durability was concerned, but it increased fuel efficiency and gave the B-24 a longer range than the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress. On December 29, 2014, the Consolidated B-24 Liberator, one of the most famous bombers of World War II, turned 75 years old. More than 18,400 of this type were built, making it the most produced American wartime aircraft. It gained a distinguished war record with operations in the European, Pacific, African and Middle Eastern theaters. It followed in the footsteps of the other great American WW II bomber, the B-17. The B-24 brought about the following improvements over the B-17: • A longer range. • A higher top speed. • A heavier bomb load. • Tricycle landing gear. • A quantum leap in wing design and performance

The B-24J was produced in greater numbers than any other series and was the only version produced in all five plants. In the San Diego plant, it went from producing the “D” straight to the “J.” The main difference between the D-CO and the J-CO was the addition of the Consolidated A-6A nose turret, which was almost identical to the tail turret. Other defensive armament included the Martin A-3C upper turret, Briggs A-13 ball turret and flexible 0.50 caliber machine guns at the open window waist positions. A total of 6,678 B-24Js were built.

More B-24’s were built than any other American airplane. It edged out the B-17 on most performance criteria (speed, range, bombload). It’s crewmen claimed 2,600 enemy aircraft shot down. With it’s great range, it performed anti-sub work in the Atlantic and heavy bomber support in the Pacific.

About the VQ B-24 LIBERATOR 110″

The VQ B-24 LIBERATOR 110″ model is an exciting replica of the original WWII Bomber that helped turn the tide of WWII and was loved by its crew. This amazing bomber penetrated deep into AXIS TERRITORY, delivered heavy bomb loads, shot down thousands of enemy fighters and yet managed to bring many crews home to safety thanks to it’s higher speeds and 11 machine guns on board. VQ now proudly brings you this historic bomber in an impressive 110-inch wingspan model that results in a great flying bomber that is easy to see and manageable to fly, but because of its three-piece wing, the model breaks down to fit nicely into most vehicles.
Though not intended to be flown or built by the novice modeler, experienced modelers will find this B-24 easy to assemble and versatile enough to handle many different power systems both glow and electric.

Features:

– Plywood,balsa wood with some fiberglass and plastic trim-piece components
– Factory-covered airframe and painted cowls
– 2-piece wing for easy transportation
– Wide selection of power systems can be used
– Exceptional multi-engine scale warbird flying qualities
– Clear molded windshields/turrets
– Turrets can be servo operated/enabled to allow turret movement
– (4) Individual Scale Type B-24 Roll-Up Bomb Bay doors (modeler decides how to operate doors/method)
– B-24 Aluminum Scale Wheels and retractable landing gear available separately (not included)
-Qualifies as Giant Scale with its 110 Inch Wing Span

Available in (3) Colors with generous decal sheets in the box to apply your favorite B-24 final markings/nose art.

Olive Drab with gray undersides
Silver-Aluminum
ARC (Uncovered almost ready to cover bare air frame)

Specifications:

Wing span: 110 Inches
Fuselage length: Inches
Weight: approx 20-22 lbs
Engines: For Glow: Four .35 two-stroke or four .52 four-stroke engines (Pitts-style mufflers can be used).For electric power you may use (4) brushless motors, 4 x 80 amp ESCs and 4 x 4-cell 4000 mah Lipos APC PROPS
Requires a 6+ channel radio with 18 servos
Channels req: 6 + channels for the the following functions: Ail/Elev/Throt/Rud/Flap/Gear, Optional Bomb Bay Door Function and Release of Payload. Some nose weight will likely be required with glow engines, and up to 10-12 ounces will be required for electric configurations. However, on such a big plane, the weight is really not an issue – but as with all airplanes, the CG is important for proper flight performance.For flight controls, good-quality ball-bearing servos are recommended. Due to the extra forces on the nose gear/rudder combination, a metal gear servo is recommend for that.

* Does not include: radio gear, engines/motors , retractable landing gear, adhesives, battery packs or silicone fuel line
Last edited by Aerogasrc; Oct 16, 2018 at 10:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2018, 08:13 AM
Thread OP
More pictures to check out like scale roll up bomb bay doors
Oct 18, 2018, 10:59 PM
Thread OP
Guess nobody likes a b24!
Oct 18, 2018, 11:01 PM
Thread OP
If it ain't made of foam guys on RCG are lost they actually have to open the mind ....... Scary
Oct 19, 2018, 11:06 AM
I think more like afraid of four engines. I personally like the four engined beasts. Have two B-17's, a Don Smith under going repairs and an American Eagle I bought used to fly while repairing the DS. Got a great deal on a 129" scratch built C-130. Needs some work. Have plans for a 169" DS B-29, a long time dream build. You have to be a bit nuts to go with four engines. BUT, losing one engine is not a big deal like on a twin. Just lean on the rudder and ailerons a bit.

The B-24 looks nice, just have way too many projects ahead of it. A buddy built and flys the DS B-24 and loves it.

Nothing looks finer than a gaggle of bombers in the air.
Edwin

PS- something I wanted to mention. At 110" ws, you're at the border line on electric or glow. As much as I like 4-stroke sound, that and glow makes for expensive flying. I got 2.5 flights per gallon on glow fuel. With glow ignition, I could get 3 flights. Im going gas on my bigger multi's. The AE B-17 is 120" and can't really go gas unless I use Evo 10gx, which IS a viable option. 20cc is my preference on the bigger ones.
Last edited by edwin1; Oct 19, 2018 at 11:12 AM.
Oct 19, 2018, 12:22 PM
Arrowhead
Very cool, but too darned big for me. No way to transport it. That said I hope they sell like hot cakes!
Oct 19, 2018, 01:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
Very cool, but too darned big for me. No way to transport it. That said I hope they sell like hot cakes!
I read that allot but you have the ability to to break it down so it's easy to transport I'm sure it's a two piece wing and instead of glueing the tail you make small mod so it bolts in place if they haven't thought into the ARF.
Last edited by Aerogasrc; Oct 19, 2018 at 01:36 PM.
Oct 20, 2018, 12:38 AM
Full scale or 1/8 scale
I love the B-24. This was a big move for VQ.
I'm torn between going fuel or electric
power. It's big enough.The motor are fairly affordable.
Oct 20, 2018, 04:10 AM
$600 us for the retracts though
Oct 20, 2018, 05:53 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I think you need to take a chill pill on the foam comment lol. Very insulting to someone who says “have an open mind” .
The model is gorgeous and real gem for those into giant scale .
The reason that I wont jump in is that its just to large for my desire to play in this size .
I have to draw the line at 90” , that is just me .
Its not about transportation ,its just not practical for me and RC .
However I wish you the best if you take the plunge .
I have the VQ Bearcat , Duantless ( both sizes ) and I wish they would offer these model without the covering .
Again this is from someone that has owned VQ planes from Day one via the original distributors in Texas ( not Thomas ) .
The covering sucks, its heavy , sticky and those that have removed it also removed some of the wood .
I plan on painting both my Bearcat and Dauntless .
Good luck with the model , should be a beauty ! I would bet someone makes the conversion over to electric .
My 90” A26 was an easy reliable e-power conversion but this VQ will be much heavier .
Oct 20, 2018, 08:12 AM
Thread OP
It got you to respond. didn't it!! .............LOL sharp looking A-26 you have!
Oct 20, 2018, 09:22 AM
Very nice weathering and detail. It sets that plane apart from the others.
Edwin
Oct 20, 2018, 11:11 AM
I never got to meet my great uncle because he was killed in a B-24 called "Tail Heavy" over Burma in '43. I have been waiting on something like this for a while to replicate his plane in scale. I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on the foamy from Motion. It looks nice, but I wanted something I could put internal combustion engines on. This VQ model is going to be expensive, no doubt, but it will be worth it (hopefully).

Oct 20, 2018, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
Finally VQ is listening to there customer and offering there plane with out the covering so we can now customize it to our preference. The Robart gear is pricey but it be easy to make your own struts and save a ton of $$$. The electric retract is just standard tri 90* gear set. But I'm going RCGF 10cc gassers plenty of power!
Oct 20, 2018, 10:35 PM
T-Squared
Oh I might have to get one of these - my dad was a flight sergeant on one in WWII.

Quick Reply