Aeromodelis Sense 4M F5J Competition Sailplane

Oleg Golovidov turned me onto a new glider that he's going to be offering soon from Lithuanian company Aeromodelis called the Sense.

Splash

A New Glider for F5J Competition

I'm getting pretty excited for F5J in the USA and plan to start competing next season. Oleg Golovidov turned me onto a new glider that he's going to be offering soon from Lithuanian company Aeromodelis called the Sense. This is the company behind the Flitz F3K glider which a fantastic model so I'm expecting the Sense to perform equally as well.

They've been testing the Sense for about 7 months now and its in the hands of top pilots in Europe and Australia as well as with Oleg here in the USA. Oleg says it's "amazingly light for the structural strength that they put into it. Very maneuverable, slightly short coupled for easy thermal turns. Shows a very good potential." That sounds promising for sure!

The Sense will be offered in 3 different versions, an FAI Limit Edtition (Ultra Light), a Light version and a Standard version. You can read more about the different versions here. There are also quite a few color options you can choose as well.

Specifications

• Wingspan: 3950mm
  • Wing Area: 74.3 dm2
  • Aspect Ratio: 20.97
  • H-Tail Area: 7.7 dm2
  • V-Tail Area: 6.32 dm2
  • Airfoil: 7.5% - 6.5% Rodax

Click Here for an article from Benjamin Rodax about the Sense design

Check out the Aeromodelis Sense 4M F5J Competition Sailplane Here

Oct 17, 2018, 01:51 AM
Tragic case
My wife and I were cycling in the Moselle and Loire valleys last month on a rare holiday when on a whim I contacted Aeromodelis to see if there were any Sense available that I could ship back to Australia as personal luggage avoiding very significant transport charges.

Although I have two excellent F5J models already and no need for another I'd been keeping an eye on the Sense. I was pushed over the line by some comments from one of the well known Feigl family who said he'd used for half the rounds, ( a pike dynamic was used in the other half) at the recent European championships and he liked the model

It turned out Aeromodelis had a light model in stock and it was shipped together with ballast and an Aeromodelis design prop to our hotel in Paris. My wife, bless her, did no more than raise an eyebrow.

Unpacking the box back in Sydney I was impressed with a few features.

1. The centre panel is long, longer than fits in my model bags (and they could hold an Ultima 1 or Maxa centre panel) and very well made. The top was painted white and the covering is that diamond patch carbon (is that textreme?) that Infinity fuselages are made off. It was quite stiff. The tips are very, very light, covered in carboline, 3D printed servo frames were provided for MKS servos and these were an exact fit for the servo pockets. The MPX centre plug was soldered in very competently. Much better than I could have done. Wing joiners, were light, but no foam inside and fit very well from the get go. i would rate the wing construction as supplied "A+". It would be A++ if the linkages and control horns were were installed.

2. The fuselage is also stiff made of the same carbon as the wing centre panel. It small diameter but stiff as. The elevator linkage is preinstalled. The wing sits on a wider mount, keeping wing and tail properly aligned. The fuselage half of the MPX connector is also pre soldered and installed. A tray for fuselage servos is supplied as is a ballast tube. Ballast is available for separate purchase. Wing and tail bags are supplied but not a fuselage bag.

I am a bad, if experienced builder. Better modellers who occasionally take models off my hands have been known to laugh at my building, and I can see the funny side. So it still took me a week or longer to put the model together.

The one comment I'd make about the fuselage that is not 100% favourable is its very tight at the front. There is length but no width. You need a battery of say 22 mm max width or you will have trouble.

My model ended up at 1115 g after adding significant lead at the front. This will allow me to switch out to a bigger motor, if I can just find some 3S 850 man batteries in Australia of 22 mm width. It is so frustrating seeing these batteries in stock overseas but unavailable in Australia. At the moment I am running 4S 650 man but not really happy with my chosen power system.

Weather in Sydney has been bad for model plane flying for the past two weeks. Rain and wind virtually every day. In fact on two of the three times I've taken the model out its disappeared into low cloud/mist.

From the first hand toss the model has flown very straight and went a long way. Handling is very predictable and reliable. I can't say much about its thermal performance because i've only caught one and on that occasion I ended up a long way down wind. It did come back against a steady cold breeze but it took a while. I can say that for its weight the model penetrates well and flys strongly in turbulence without any wing flex that I have been able to see so far.

Although I do not believe that light .thin winged high. aspect ratio F5J models are necessarily the way of the future I do think that the Sense is very well done example of that class and will likely see its fair share of success. Because its centre panel covering is stronger carbon, its painted white on top, and because of the wing bags I expect it to do ok in the Australian Summer. We shall have to wait and see though.

My quality problem is having 3 different brand F5J models and working out which one to fly. I think each of them is fully competitive and like them all. Bit like the kids really.
Oct 17, 2018, 02:51 AM
I am looking for good 650mah for light plane 4s setup. Which 650mah you use now? I have been testing Tattu but it is a big disappointment. For you to know their 850mah is however ok, as is Roaring Top 850mah. Roaring Top is also quite nice shape for most F5J planes.

BTW Not symmetrical elevator is an interesting design feature!
Oct 17, 2018, 04:20 AM
Tragic case
Tattu 650 mah 4S. Its either the battery, the motor or the combo. Yes the 850 is fine. Most Tattu batteries I have used are good. I have a local supplier("Daves Toys") 4S 650 and I'm sure it would be fine, all his other batteries are, but it won't fit.

Still I'm glad to have the 4S 650, I bought the only two for sale in Australia. In Europe you seem lucky to have "mylipo.de" which seems to have a good range and stock.
Oct 17, 2018, 09:44 PM
E Thermal Hack & Vtail Lover
How bout some details about specifics about its construction. What’s expected AUW of each version? And what separates this plane from the rest of the long high aspect ratio, thin Airfoil, low wing loading pack?

Jerry

Ps edit : I DO like the white wing top designs though ;-)
Oct 17, 2018, 11:12 PM
Tragic case
Jerry

It doesn't have V tail so you don't have to worry. I am not going to say its better or worse than some other model. Most of them are pretty good and all of the manufacturers, it seems to me, have pride in their products.

I don't care much about transport ease. Unlike Joe Wurts I don't fly to comps in Europe, the USA, South America every year. If it fits in my waggon that's fine. If you need easy transport better off with a Plus, or a Volo or an Ultima 2.

If you want hollow moulded construction with high aspect ratio and modern thin airfoil specifically designed for F5j then El Nino is your only choice. Personally based on what I have so far owned my self Ultima 1, El Nino, Pike Dynamic, Infinity and now Sense I think that rohacell is the best way to do the thin, high aspect ratio. It's stiffer. That said I also think the Dynamic/Infinity approach has merit and I deeply enjoy flying both those models. In most activities design tends to eventually converge but we are not there in this class yet. Explorer gets lots of good results, as does Dynamic and Infinity has also done well in Europe this year.

There aren't that many models that actually do 1100 g and 3.9 metres, maybe an Ultima 2, or Ultima 1 or a Plus or an El Nino. What I personally like, at this early, early stage, is that the Sense has done that and still kept both a stiff centre panel and a stiff fuselage. I like the construction and covering of the centre panel. I like the details of the way the rudder attachment keys in, and keying in of the centre panel to the fuselage. I like the quality of the provided soldering.

In the air I have found the Sense, so far, very predictable in its handling. It responds well to rudder and aileron and elevator commands. It speeds up with reflex and slows down with camber, as do my other quality models. Every landing I have done so far has been within 2 metres, but that won't last. Its light weight lets you come in fast and hot and then dork. The nose is good and strong and seems to be designed for this treatment.

All that said new models generally fly well. As a buyer I like to validate my purchase decision by concluding I did the right thing. It won't be until I fly it in comps or against other models that its or my strengths and weaknesses will become more apparent.
Oct 17, 2018, 11:21 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Jerry,
there are detailed descriptions on the factory website linked above in the article.
http://f3-modellbau.de/?page_id=411
http://f3-modellbau.de/?page_id=421
Oct 19, 2018, 05:17 AM
Tragic case
We had a break in the rain so at 9:00 I was at the closest flying field, certainly not flat but a fun place to fly. There was mist and cloud at 60 meters for the first flight but it soon cleared and the temperature rose from say 19c at 9:00 am to about 24 c by the time I left for work at 11:45. No wind all morning, ideal really.

Of maybe 10 flights I missed 10 minutes once due to flying too slow and getting bumped out of a low thermal. Motor offs were 40-80 meters and a better pilot would have successfully started lower.

The low sink rate and good speed range made for an ideal style of model for these conditions. Even if I didn’t find a thermal immediately I knew I coul hunt for some time even from 50 meters.

Lift was signalled easily, good thermal climb rate, even though my settings are probably not optimal. Cg at 103 mm there was no pullout in a dive test. Did a couple of rolls with no drama as expected.

I did find the light tips required some concentration when hitting edge of thermal turbulence once or twice and 3.9 meters doesn’t have quite as tight a radius circle as 3.5 meters.

All in all I’m well pleased, the “Sense” is a great addition to my squadron and I left the field with a happy smile.

Next up is to see how it does in active, windy air.
Oct 19, 2018, 10:48 AM
This design looks to be very cutting edge. Since the flitz ( which they also make) is soooooooo well respected. Iíll be keeping a close eye on this one.
Oct 20, 2018, 11:54 PM
Great quality ����
Oct 22, 2018, 01:51 PM
Make sure you add this one to the easy hand launch clinic Jerry
Oct 23, 2018, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Kindrick
Make sure you add this one to the easy hand launch clinic Jerry
I will ;-)

Ps edit : suggested future Soaring format for your approval: 4m handlaunch ;-)
Forget the motor and esc,, just add a throwing peg ;-)

Ps ps edit : NAW!!! Forget THAT!! I’m waaaaaaay toooooo lazy to throw a 4m plane! ;-)

Ps ps ps edit : yet another suggested soaring format suggested for your approval : ALES with a 50m cutoff :-O,,, simple, yet challenging
Last edited by airman749; Oct 23, 2018 at 10:38 PM.
Oct 28, 2018, 09:37 AM
Oleg Golovidov

First Sense samples in the USA

While the factory in Lithuania is ramping up there production of Sense preparing for new orders, I have the first two samples here in the USA, available for trial by adventurous F5J pilots. These two are light version planes, with Textreme skins on the center panel and Carboweave type skins on the tip panels. The final RTF weight is expected on the order of 1050-1100 g depending on the equipment of course. My personal Sense, a standard version, came out art 1150 g, with a 650 mah 4-cell battery, Reisenauer+Scorpion power, and a backup battery. The light version will be about 50 g lighter at least.

The retail price in the USA will be on the order of $1900-2000, to be finalized soon. These two test samples are for sale at $1750, with a requirement that the buyer post his build pictures, and a review of first flight impressions. The factory is eager to hear of what can be improved in the plane. So if you want to be the first USA pilot with a Sense, send me an email please (oleg.golovidov@gmail.com).
I will have my Sense flying at our Fall contest in Farmville this weekend.

---
Oct 28, 2018, 03:35 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Just went to put some air under my Sense's wings. The weather was sunny and nice, but quite windy and turbulent. Sense flew well without any ballast. In speed mode it comes back against some significant wind despite the ~1150 g weight.

--

Quick Reply