Oct 16, 2018, 08:37 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

To Recycle or not?

Several years ago, with a set of surplus Staudacker wing panels bought for $5, a decision was made to build a sport plane utilizing them. The original thought was a mid wing stick powered with a 35cc gas engine.

As the plans were being drawn, they expanded to include a round cowl with fore and aft turtle decks with an open cockpit for a thirties era looking racer. What started out as a sport thirty five (a mid wing stick) became Big Red, a thirties looking sport racing design having an 8 ft wingspan.

Big Red turned out to be a great sport flier and was flown for many years but suffered a mishap this past year. On a very windy day, I failed to pay close enough attention to the landing down wind leg, and the strong wind carried it further down wind than I'd thought, and when turning it around onto final, it caught the upper reaches of the tree line, skipped over a tree and plummeted to the ground in clear agonizing view... leaving me feeling sick... it was my only original design... and the best flying plane in my fleet.,, and IMO, a great looking plane that made my liver quiver.

Yesterday, I retrieved the pieces from the upstairs of my out building and pondered their future.
  • The bolt on tail planes have no damage
  • The tail post section is repairable
  • The fore box including gear support is intact or repairable
  • The firewall is repairable
  • The empanage and rear turtle deck connecting the tail planes to the fore section was destroyed and would need rebuilt
  • The left wing panel (foam core) has serious damage but could be repaired with heroic effort. Otherwise straight built up wing panels could but used.
So... one option is to recycle Big Red back into the design that it started from, a mid wing sport stick by clearing it of turtle decks, round cowl, and open cockpit and replacing the tapered wing with a constant chord.

A second is to restore Big Red back to the thirties looking design it had been.

The third option is of course... to let it all RIP. I've given it several months since the crash and now should have my head clear to make an objective reasoned decision.

I expect many others have been at such a point at some time in their aeromodeling life.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2018, 09:34 AM
It sounds to me like you need to put it back into that dark corner that it's been sitting in, and ponder the situation for a while longer. Eventually, you will have just the right thought, and be driven to drag it all out again, but this time you'll have a very clear idea of a direction you want to go in - even if it involves the trash barrel! -Al
Oct 16, 2018, 10:57 AM
heh, heh.... thanks for the invitation to play non-directive psychotherapist responding to your musings

"what I hear you saying" is that these salvaged Staudeacker wing panels will help to recreate one of your best flying and looking planes...…… so if that recreation will give you more pleasure than another project in the immediate future, why not.

Certainly I would not say that you have an obligation to make use of salvaged wing panels..... if you are like many of us who are closer to end than the beginning of building activity in this hobby, you likely have much more stuff ( plans, kits, supplies, incomplete models) on hand than you will ever get to in a lifetime …. do next what gives you joy.

that's my 5cents worth,

Michael in Ontario, Canada
Oct 16, 2018, 11:12 AM
Thread OP
I freely confess some psycho stuff going on in my head... leaving an era behind and moving to another. The aging body and spirit isn't as excited by going fast and the slower floaters have been enjoyed more.
Oct 16, 2018, 03:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks
It sounds to me like you need to put it back into that dark corner that it's been sitting in, and ponder the situation for a while longer. Eventually, you will have just the right thought, and be driven to drag it all out again, but this time you'll have a very clear idea of a direction you want to go in - even if it involves the trash barrel! -Al
Hi Al....

Yep... I think you read correct.... back to the outbuilding it all went for a while longer.
Oct 16, 2018, 06:45 PM
Thought I recognized that thought process. Very similar to my own....

First hard freeze here last night. Reinforces thoughts about our trip south. Will be there in 2 weeks! -Al
Oct 16, 2018, 07:36 PM
I have no idea how old you are, Al. whatever your age, you are wise beyond your years.
Quote:
Oct 16, 2018, 07:55 PM
I'm a self confessed senior old fart (67). Thank you very much! There are a few of us around, including AA5BY. That's how I was able to relate.... -Al
Oct 18, 2018, 07:34 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
I'm a self confessed senior old fart (67). Thank you very much! There are a few of us around, including AA5BY. That's how I was able to relate.... -Al
I wish that I was just 67.

Arlyn. It would be cool to salvage the parts and you could call the new model a "Phoenix".
Oct 18, 2018, 10:37 AM
Phoenix eat their young.......

I'm afraid if I named a plane Phoenix, it would confuse my shorts for a young'un some day (about the time I get it sorted out). I have enough trouble with planes trying to eat my shorts without inviting trouble like that! :^) -Al

Quick Reply