Sep 14, 2019, 03:48 PM
Builder, sometime flier
Very nice indeed - I think the Asw-15 is very elegant and instantly recognizable from all the others of that era.
Just like its even sexier bigger sister, the -17!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 10:08 PM
Thread OP
I agree, simple and sweet design NSWanderer working on ribs for the 3.0 meter 1:5 scale that provide the same profile but with .016" sheeting (4mm).
Jul 22, 2021, 11:29 PM
Andrew S
Iíd love to get an update on the 3m version - did it fly?!

Iíve wanted to build one of the ASW models since I was a teenager in the 80s. The 3m seems an ideal size to me.

As a reasonably competent RE pilot on flat and slope, how hard is this likely to be to fly? Iím assuming Iíll need to get time in on an aileron trainer first - while Iím slowly building away Ö - any suggestions for one that is easy to repair and would prepare me for this ASW 15? (I wondered abt C Williams 90Ē Howzat).

Love the selection of models and plans youíve got up on etsy right now, Iíll be ordering real soon!
Jul 23, 2021, 12:51 PM
Thread OP
Osprey60,
I have reached out to Martin England but have not heard anything back. I sent an email a moment ago on our behalf and hoping he has some news and more information for us. Plans with the correction to the anti-balance rudder have been sent to our partner in Netherlands Philippe Negro at RC Laserkit with a revised cut file adding those parts that changed. I will have a set of parts sent my way as well for testing.
As far as ease of flying my experience with a 100 inch version which this is largely based on is that it's very stable with gentle stall and easily controlled at slower speeds even with just rudder and elevator control. The plan revision just sent out shows location of ailerons in which case to install the builder would need to line up the effected ribs and using a hobby saw cut small notches in line with plan to add the needed hinge point spars. If you are interested in either scale, I can add that mod to the file for you prior to cutting.
Tom
Sep 24, 2021, 03:47 AM
Baz67

She flies indeed

Hello all, I hadn't been aware of this thread, on my build of the ASW15 until now.

Yes she has been flying for well over a year now - all on slopes. I've had many complimentary comments on finish and people are surprised it is wood construction. She will fly in pretty light to moderate winds.
She certainly has a good 'scale' feel when cruising up and down the slope.

Whilst being a relatively slow flyer, she can also tolerate some medium speed aerobatics - it's worth noting, however, that I did deviate from the plan by making bagged foam core wings.
Oct 20, 2021, 10:27 PM
Thread OP
Mengan2, thanks for sharing your photos and report. Did you use the plan airfoil for your bagged wings? I for one would love to see her in motion on video... I'm willing to bet she'll fly at a pretty good clip if asked.
Oct 21, 2021, 03:18 AM
Baz67
Not sure what the plan profile was, but I used HQ2.5-12 for my bagged wings. I think it's a fairly well-used profile for scale planes, with good all-round performance

I don't have any video so far, one day I might remember to take my GoPro , but you're right, she definitely moves when there is stronger winds, onto the slope. The aileron movement is not as much as I would have liked , so hence the roll-rate is quite slow (even with the flaps mixed with ailerons).

I'm currently mulling over the idea of putting a motor up front, for flat field flying, although that would need quite a tear-up to the cockpit arrangement, to get the CoG right.

Quick Reply