Dec 28, 2004, 12:07 AM
Closed Account

Update for NEW CNC molded DLG

Great News!! Mark Maughmer has agreed to develop winglets for the CNC molded DLG project .. Once Joe Wurts finishes the optimization of the wing, the files will be transferred over to Mark Maughmer where he will begin working on a new type of winglet developed specifically for this glider.. We hope to improve launch height as well as L/D with the new winglet design. The above pictures are of the current prototype...email me if you have any questions: RobertHaas@mail.com (waiting list is available)
Last edited by RobertTHaas; Dec 28, 2004 at 12:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2004, 12:54 AM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
I'm sure the winglets will be in the way of the launch peg??

-Tomi
Dec 28, 2004, 01:05 AM
Life's a garden, dig it.
She's a hottie, what's her name?
Dec 28, 2004, 01:14 AM
Closed Account

name

im thinking she might be called the Complex or the Quantum.. what do you think?
Dec 28, 2004, 01:27 AM
Life's a garden, dig it.
I seem to remember a glider "back in the day" called Quantum, maybe an old Airtronics, when the made Sagittas..."Complex" is pretty cool. I just named my new design and I ended up thinking about it for days until I figured it out.
Dec 29, 2004, 02:30 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
That's a really good looking plane!!!
How much?
When will it be available?

jc
Dec 29, 2004, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomi
I'm sure the winglets will be in the way of the launch peg??

-Tomi
Will the winglets be the launch peg?
Dec 30, 2004, 01:24 AM
Closed Account
i would like to design the winglets to be the launch peg... but it is not fully figured out... we have a few different ideas.. it just a matter of picking out whats going to work best...
Dec 30, 2004, 09:54 AM
i did not hesitate to get my name down on the waiting list for this.

With DLG being such a new technology in the RC world, there still seem to be significant steps forward with each new design.

from what I can see so far this model is going to be one of the bigger steps forward, particularly in the construction techniques.

i love the attention thats being paid to the tail feathers too, this is where a lot of commercial models are let down.

are the plans for the wing to be moulded as one piece?
Dec 30, 2004, 10:08 AM
Funny, I was thinking the opposite - that hlg's are pretty much improving only incrementaly from design to design and that for any given days conditions we were pretty much there... Not disagreeing with you, just thought it was intersting that I was coming at it from the opposite opinion.

XP-4 Taboo encore ...relatively similar designs - I think the improvements might come in the strength category so these fantastic models could provide more enjoyement/$....or maybe more enjoyment/build...
Dec 30, 2004, 10:10 AM
What Canary?
The Osiris has "winglets" that act as a ambidexterous launch pegs, they extend up as well as down. In fact I find my Osiris "winglet" easier to throw than other DLG's with a peg.
Dec 30, 2004, 12:45 PM
xp-4 taboo and encore are all bagged as far as i know.

fully moulded gliders enable us to get closer to an ideal planform and much more accurate sections.

i think the cost involved in getting good quality alu moulds has so far outweighed the returns from what is still quite a limited market so far.

i've got an xp-4 and imho, it suffers from rather basic tail feathers. but gains from the strength and quality of the wing.

dlg wings in general still have a relativly basic planform because of the need for high strength and the launch peg considerations.

as for the drela foils, im guessing we are pretty much there in the ideal profile.

i've got a blaster arriving later in january and am interested to compare it to the xp-4, particularly the wing
Dec 30, 2004, 09:48 PM
It would seem to me that you should build the plane before hyping it. It's easy to draw pretty pictures, but for this to be an improvement over existing designs there should be some facts behind the fancy.

I agree that future changes in hlg will probably be incremental in nature, and that takes testing, evaluating and scrutiny.

Now if you could get Dr. Drela to design winglets, I might be more impressed. But then they would probably be on the SG III, right?

Anyhow, good luck and have fun.

Gary
Dec 31, 2004, 12:02 AM
Life's a garden, dig it.
Doesn't look like this plane is being "hyped" to me, just looks like a very interesting thread with some very forward thinking philosophies. Also looks like a quality team between Robert, Mark, and Joe Wurts. I've seen and heard about Joe Wurts, he seems to know what he's doing.

This also looks like a little more than "pretty pictures" that not just anyone could do. Looks like alot of thought went into it.

This DLG sport is dying for new designs that don't discourage its participants by having to wait many, many, many months for just a wing, let alone a plane.

I for one applaud Robert's efforts and don't dismiss them "hype" and "pretty pictures".

Matt
Dec 31, 2004, 12:28 AM

winglets

winglets are only effective over a small speed range,
outside of that range are worse than nothing.

on my hangglider they look cool and caused poor handaling.
they did add some directinal stability,
great when your getting your ass kicked!
but would hurt a dlg durring launch.
I think if they were of use DR..Drela would have!

Quick Reply