This thread is privately moderated by nigelsheffield, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 15, 2018, 04:54 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

2s silverised brushless whoop builds

Build log for 2s silverware brushless whoop, is a very cheap build and it rocks!

Silverised brushless beta85x frame fpv flight at the park. (5 min 43 sec)

2s brushless silverwhoop first flight loose tune but lots of power!! (3 min 19 sec)

I've already made some brushless silverware quads and some whoops but up till now never a silverware brushless whoop and having recently discovered 2s brushless whoops and the recent betafpv beta65x I decided it's time to build a silverware version a little bigger on the beta75x frame.

Parts used
Betafpv lite FC ( flashed with yets brushless silverware version )
Frame and props betafpv beta75x.
1103 10000kv racerstar motors. https://bit.ly/2NFIOy6 ( tracking affiliate link as motors were provided for review , no extra cost to you but they will let me have more stuff for review if people use this link )
ESC bs06d super s https://m.xt-xinte.com/Super_s-BS06D...r-p134749.html ( mention nigelsheffield123 for $5 credit )
Any 5v bec / ubec regulator ( got mine from AliExpress for about $1 )
Camera I will be using akk bs2 depending if I can find a spare one but anything will do as long as it's small and light is best.
Battery https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...asc=3655100057

To program the FC you will need an st-linker V2 and a free program ( I will provide a bin file once it's all setup nicely or those who don't want to go through setting up in Kiel )

Soldered wires to ESC and hot glue in place to stop them breaking easily,
Connected ESC to a betafpv FC and programmed direction and put start up power to 1.0 ( note I used reverse prop direction )

Name: IMG_20181009_134857.jpg
Views: 104
Size: 1.97 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_20181011_111049.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 1.67 MB
Description:
Load brushless silverware onto the FC at this point is a good idea.
Name: IMG_20181011_164115.jpg
Views: 82
Size: 1.65 MB
Description:
I checked the input of each ESC to see which motor it controller by connecting one at a time to a reciever or you could use a servo tester ,
Made a note of the order and soldered to each fet gate accordingly so then I wouldn't have to change that in the firmware every time I update.
Name: IMG_20181012_123329.jpg
Views: 116
Size: 1.56 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_20181014_103845.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 1.59 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_20181014_105723.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 1.62 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_20181014_110758.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 1.64 MB
Description:
The 5v ubec soldered in and fits in the receiver bay and carefully covered in tape, could use heat shrink here too.
Wiring is take the red and black wires from the ESC plug to the plus and minus INPUT of the regulator, then solder wires from the output of the reg to the lite FC plus and minus, then you have 2 more solder points on the FC to power a camera.
Checked everything is working before putting on props.
Name: IMG_20181014_135435.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 1.68 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_20181014_135329.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 1.71 MB
Description:

I decided to try reverse props ( props out at the front ) on this one so note that if you copy my build you will to hear that in mind when setting motor direction ,
It is not possible to programme the ESC from the FC the way I've done it but if you remove all the fets and capacitors it is possible but it's also possible to just plug in the ESC to a betafpv FC and program it from there.

A quick test flight at this point shows it has LOTS of power and the nice silverware feel!!!

First outside flight with turnigy batts, needs more tuning but the power and flight time is really good, and no washout ..
2s brushless silverwhoop first flight loose tune but lots of power!! (3 min 19 sec)
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Jul 25, 2019 at 07:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2018, 06:48 AM
So the esc is 'hard mounted' with hotglue to the frame and the fc still mounts floating in the rubber grommets? I have a set of the cheapo 11000kv 1103's coming in and plan to build a homebrew silverware whoop and see if the washout is BF/esc related on the 75x
Oct 15, 2018, 07:42 AM
Thread OP
Yes hot glue seemed a bit of a hack job but it serves a double purpose , keeping the motor wires from a vibrating at the solder joint and breaking off which was a problem in my first builds and also holding the ESC on the whoop frame.
FC is soft mounted still like you say, line of sight flight seemed to work really well, I have a busy house now and Tuesday so probably get around to camera and fpv flights and tuning on Wednesday....

Note I have already built one with 8000kv motors and it worked ok but power wasn't all that fantastic , more than any 1s build but not as fast as the beta65x so I got those 10000kv motors to try.. but I did tune briefly to get an idea of how it will fly, very smooth as is typical of silverware and rolls and loops were easy and precise, didn't cope very well with wind but that was just the tune...

Name: IMG_20180920_133503.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 1.45 MB
Description:
Oct 16, 2018, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinuZ
So the esc is 'hard mounted' with hotglue to the frame and the fc still mounts floating in the rubber grommets? I have a set of the cheapo 11000kv 1103's coming in and plan to build a homebrew silverware whoop and see if the washout is BF/esc related on the 75x
where you buy 11000kv 1103's?how cheap they are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
Parts used
Betafpv lite FC ( flashed with yets brushless silverware version )
Frame and props betafpv beta75x.
1103 10000kv racerstar motors. https://m.banggood.com/Racerstar-Rac...244425201308OD ( tracking affiliate link as motors were provided for review , no extra cost to you but they will let me have more stuff for review if people use this link )
ESC bs06d super s https://m.xt-xinte.com/Super_s-BS06D...r-p134749.html ( mention nigelsheffield123 for $5 credit )
Any 5v bec / ubec regulator ( got mine from AliExpress for about $1 )
Camera I will be using akk bs2 depending if I can find a spare one but anything will do as long as it's small and light is best.
Battery https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...asc=3655100057
how good the power of 10000kv 1103 using 40mm props and 2S battrey compare original betafpv75X ?
then, wich one have longer flight time?
have you try 0802 brushless?
Oct 16, 2018, 11:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald_bjm
where you buy 11000kv 1103's?how cheap they are?

how good the power of 10000kv 1103 using 40mm props and 2S battrey compare original betafpv75X ?
then, wich one have longer flight time?
have you try 0802 brushless?

https://www.banggood.com/nl/4X-1102-...244425201308OD these look a good deal, a little heavy but probably ok still.

The 10000kv has a longer flight time than the beta75x power is hard to say between them , in theory the beta75x should have more power but till I get it tuned and flown outside I can't say for sure.
I have the beta65x which uses the 0802 motors and I'm getting the mobula7 soon..
I will be able to compare them all.
Oct 17, 2018, 03:53 AM
Quote:
https://www.banggood.com/nl/4X-1102-...244425201308OD these look a good deal, a little heavy but probably ok still.

The 10000kv has a longer flight time than the beta75x power is hard to say between them , in theory the beta75x should have more power but till I get it tuned and flown outside I can't say for sure.
I have the beta65x which uses the 0802 motors and I'm getting the mobula7 soon..
I will be able to compare them all.
Already see the deal, the review make me run away from that deal LOL.

Still waiting n see your comparation for flight time 1103 10000kv vs beta75X vs mobula7

By the way, i see your creation. Brushed board can use brushless esc and motor, that was awesome man!!!
I have betafpv f4 osd brushed. I want to do like your doing. Can it done? Hope you can help, what i must do
Oct 17, 2018, 05:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald_bjm
Already see the deal, the review make me run away from that deal LOL.

Still waiting n see your comparation for flight time 1103 10000kv vs beta75X vs mobula7

By the way, i see your creation. Brushed board can use brushless esc and motor, that was awesome man!!!
I have betafpv f4 osd brushed. I want to do like your doing. Can it done? Hope you can help, what i must do
Should be possible to convert your f4 brushed to brushless ,
Trace the - from the motor connection back to each FET drain ( centre pin ) to identify which get is which ( should be fairly obvious ) and then solder to FET gate as I have done here and connect that to each ESC input on your brushless ESCs.
Then in betaflight select d shot for motor output...
I haven't tried betaflight mod like this myself but I know it has been done so there might be steps which I've missed in which case you will need to google it!
Oct 17, 2018, 05:48 AM
Thread OP
Name: Screenshot_2018-10-17-11-37-24.png
Views: 49
Size: 206.5 KB
Description:
First attempt at tuning without camera indoors.
Probably need to scale it up for outside but this is at least stable and a good place to start for now.

Edit
Just tested outside in gusty winds and these pics are working fine line of sight without camera .....
And the power is great gets up to my roof with a short blip on the throttle.
Loops and rolls all nice and I even tried a dive all worked fine, will put the camera on next and see what happens then.
3:20 mins outside to 3.76v from 2*1s 250mah cells, I have the 300mah 2s coming from hobbyking so should be even better with that.
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Oct 17, 2018 at 06:25 AM.
Oct 17, 2018, 11:31 AM
Thread OP
Got a few minutes in between school runs dog walking etc and stuck on a camera, not a lightweight this build , it's heavier by nearly 10g than my 2s bamboo skewers quad...
Charging up now, if all goes well I should have a video of a garden flight at least soon..if not today ( getting dark already and windy ) then tomorrow is looking nice for flying.

Name: IMG_20181017_172336.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 1.60 MB
Description:
Oct 17, 2018, 01:25 PM
Thread OP
It flew pretty ok but I didn't have my DVR goggles on so no recording yet, I upped I a bit more to this
Name: Screenshot_2018-10-17-18-54-14.png
Views: 29
Size: 205.9 KB
Description:
Not sure if my FC is completely flat or maybe cog is off a little but sharp 180 turns leave it drifting a bit so not quite right yet, I did loops and rolls and dive tests and no problems there, power is better than on the 8000kv build for sure, flight times are about 3:20 to 3.73v outsides giving it some stick around the garden..
Should get my 300mah hk batts tomorrow or next day hopefully so I can try it on those for a bit more power and flight time, probably not worth spending too much time tuning until I get those .. but I'm probably still going to tune it anyway as tomorrow is looking good!
Oct 17, 2018, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Should be possible to convert your f4 brushed to brushless ,
Trace the - from the motor connection back to each FET drain ( centre pin ) to identify which get is which ( should be fairly obvious ) and then solder to FET gate as I have done here and connect that to each ESC input on your brushless ESCs.
Then in betaflight select d shot for motor output...
I haven't tried betaflight mod like this myself but I know it has been done so there might be steps which I've missed in which case you will need to google it!
Oke ok, the esc is on the way. Will do after all parts ready. Thank you
Oct 18, 2018, 11:00 AM
Thread OP

First flight on the turnigy batts, defo better on those and needs more tuning but it's looking good, lots of power and decent flight times and no yaw washouts.
Oct 18, 2018, 08:36 PM
Just an earth-bound misfit
This is the Betafpv lite board you were working on converting to brushless? Looks like that worked quite well. Your builds do turn out really good. That's way beyond anything I would even try. I'm putting aside the Crazybee 1S board I got for now. The super tiny and close little dots just to hook up the battery plug wires are giving me fits, and even epoxying them if I could solder them on doesn't seem like they would hold for ([email protected] . . . I was thinking about getting the Betafpv 1S board and using that for now. It looks a LOT easier to solder on to. Maybe later I'll use the Crazybee with the old B06 motors. I got a pack of 10 bearing/bushings sets cheap so hopefully I can fix that 1 motor that keeps throwing the bell housing and over winter try making one of those. I am getting spoiled with the Beecore/Silverware brushed boards and as good as those Whoops fly, and I'm sure Silverware on a brushless would be every bit better too . . . Can the BetaFPV brushless board be flashed with the Silverware? Even more important to me, if it can, how much of a PITA would that be?
Oct 18, 2018, 11:06 PM
Thread OP
Yes you need to be confident at tiny soldering ,
Silverware can't be flashed to any beta flight boards right now.
Good news is that betqfpv planning to release a silverware fc for brushless soon so that will make this a LOT easier.

The beecore brushed fc is so good though if I was you I would just build one like I did with 19000kv motors on beta65s frame, 2s brushless is not for the feint hearted lol .. The extra weight and power can very quickly bite you in backside!
Bug its fun once you master it a bit.
Oct 19, 2018, 12:30 PM
Just an earth-bound misfit
I saw you mention the upcoming BetaFPV Brushless Silverware board on another thread . . . right after I made my post here, of course . . . that does sound good, but BetaFPV seems to have very premium prices on their products . . . a kind way to put it . . . the quality may very well be there to justify it, but still, seems to be well above the "average" prices . . . I'm still thinking about getting one of their 1S AIO boards instead of fighting with the Crazybee . . .

My stock motors B03 with the Beecore/Silverware board does seem quicker than my stock B03s, but is it really that noticeably faster with the "hot" motors on it? I do have a couple sets I can try. Acro with the stock B03 Beecore is a LOT easier for me to start getting a grip on than the 75/820 I made, and really don't need any more speed/punch on it just yet. I do have one more good Beecore board, but was thinking about putting it on an 85 frame with 8520 KKs and Angle around FPV with that. If two of the five Beecores weren't bad, I could have built that, a "hot" 65 and a 75/720 version too . . .

I'm sure the 2S Mobula is going to be a handful inside, and am not even thinking anything but Angle with it for quite a bit yet . . .

Quick Reply