Oct 16, 2018, 12:08 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
I seem to remember that very scenario in post #23
"I would think that since the radio has two adjustments for ratchets-that you just need to tighten the adjustment on the L/H stick. Now as far as the center off is concerned-that's an ESC fix-maybe even program card input?"
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2018, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB
Is there a list, of what will AND what won't, work together??
For aircraft receivers it's very easy. Every ARxxx receiver works with every Spektrum transmitter, with the following exceptions:

The DM8/9 modules do not work with the newest receivers (T series).
The AR6000 works only with the original DX6 Parkflyer transmitter (2006 vintage equipment).

The MR series receivers are only compatible with a aircraft DX7S/DX8G1 and early DX9's, and with pistol grip transmitters with the "Marine Logo" (a boat picture) on them.

Quote:
At the time I learned about this "issue", I was going to buy a Marine RX, and a 4 channel "park flyer" type radio (Tx & Rx). I was informed that they were not compatible, and I was going to have to go to a higher end 6 channel Tx. This info was from one of your larger dealers/LHS, in So Cal.
You would have wanted an AR400 or AR600/610 receiver ($29 or $39) with a DX4e or higher transmitter and it would have cost less than just the Marine receiver.

Andy
Oct 16, 2018, 02:22 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Post #27 should be a sticky. LOTS of old and new questions answered in that one.

ANY chance Spektrum might consider a marine dual-throttle stick radio similar to the Nautical Commander someday? Seems like that's what was tried with the mechanically switching modes on the new TX's offering self-centering on both sticks. But without being able to make them both ratchet (hold position) and without being able to turn off self-centering on both vertical axis's, it's more of a battle tank or bulldozer controller.

With all the dual-throttle TX topics and queries I have run across in this forum, there certainly seems to be a market for them. Maybe in a future marine-specific transmitter model? (Now available! The new DX6m and DX8m (hint-hint))
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Oct 16, 2018 at 02:27 PM.
Oct 16, 2018, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Maybe in a future marine-specific transmitter model? (Now available! The new DX6m and DX8m (hint-hint))
I've been pushing for one for 10 years. Also for a SS air radio.

If we were a small shop it could be done quite profitably, but when you ship a truck load of radios every day or two, the few hundred that they think they would sell become cost prohibitive. Would you pay $4K for a 10 channel marine radio? I wouldn't.

I have a set of the Robbe throttle sticks for my own radio. Some day I'll finally get factory hardware that lends itself to DIY enclosures.

I'm still pushing, and at various levels.

Andy
Oct 16, 2018, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
I will try what Andy said to make my radio like I want it. All this discussion could have been prevented it the IM said how many turns of the screws are necessary to make it happen. I was being cautious not turning the screw excessively and blindly.

As to the Viper Marine ESC's forward/astern mix, I have them in 4 boats, now with AR610 RX's. Each boat gives the same apparent motor RPM forward and reverse, as installed. They can be adjusted for more or less RPM thru the DX8e software. Same was true with the now-defunct DX6.
Oct 16, 2018, 03:16 PM
Honestly, I was shocked that it took so much to tighten it up.

I think they used JIS screws, not Phillips, or maybe some Chinese thing, for the screw heads. I would have preferred socket heads myself. I had a heck of a time with my Phillips popping out.

Definitely a minus in my book, but the only one in the radio.

Andy
Last edited by AndyKunz; Oct 16, 2018 at 06:15 PM.
Oct 17, 2018, 01:09 PM
Old Duffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I've been pushing for one for 10 years. Also for a SS air radio.

If we were a small shop it could be done quite profitably, but when you ship a truck load of radios every day or two, the few hundred that they think they would sell become cost prohibitive. Would you pay $4K for a 10 channel marine radio? I wouldn't.

I have a set of the Robbe throttle sticks for my own radio. Some day I'll finally get factory hardware that lends itself to DIY enclosures.

I'm still pushing, and at various levels.

Andy
Not to put you on the spot Andy, but I've wondered a couple of times why some computer savvy enthusiast hasn't at least "translated" the manual into nautical terminology. Just a simple (?) downloadable PDF would help some of us "lower-percentile" get more out of their radios.
Oct 17, 2018, 02:10 PM
The small number is what hinders model boating of all sorts pretty much everywhere. There are bubbles of enthusiasm especially in coastal areas, but model airplanes and cars are like soap suds by comparison - lots of bubbles, bubbles of varied sizes, and bubbles everywhere.

I never understood how big the rest of the hobby business is until I got here to Horizon. Everything else is like King Kong and we boaters are the little biplanes that he swatted away like flies.

That tiny market is why some computer savvy guy hasn't written a manual. I wrote a book 10 years ago and it was way more work than I imagined, and I ended up only publishing one chapter (on prop balancing). I hold authors in much higher respect now!

I'm happy to answer questions and suggest ways to implement things using Spektrum radios. Somebody else can collate the info and turn it into a book.

Andy
Oct 18, 2018, 03:54 PM
Thread OP
I tried Andy's recommendation yesterday. Cranked down on the Ratchet screw on the left stick until I had drilled halfway to China Still no ratcheting action. So I packed up the radio and shipped it to Horizon Hobby, with explicit instructions on what I want.

Wish me luck.
Oct 18, 2018, 11:34 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Did you unscrew and loosen the centering springs?
Oct 19, 2018, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
If you set the Mode switch on the back of the radio all the way to the left, the centering springs on the vertical motion left stick disengage. So yes, I did that. Then turned the Ratchet engaging screw way more than the 12 turns recommended by Andy Kunz.

Beyond that I did not want to open the case. Too many snakes in there for me.
Oct 25, 2018, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
My radio came back from HH today. THE LEFT STICK, VERTICAL/THROTTLE MOTION IS NOW A RATCHET, WITH NO SPRING RETURN!! Just like I want it. I tested it with one of my single screw boats and the motor goes full speed ahead and astern, with no discernible difference in RPM.

HH had to replace the scroll board, which I knew I broke trying to screw down the ratchet screw. And they replaced the scroll wheel on the right side of the screen. I did not know it was bad. The also replaced the mode selector on the back.

All at no charge. You guys are great, Horizon Hobby.

CGAux26 OUT.

Quick Reply