This thread is privately moderated by DWA, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 16, 2018, 05:49 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Thread OP
Well today was fun and I got a good workout. Wind was blowing, but it was light when I got there. Good enough for the Weasel though, so she went out first.
Had a really long good flight probably about 40 - 45 minutes, which is longer than I usually stay up for one flight.
Wind got stronger so I decided to throw out my Carbon Bird. Got in a few good laps but then the wind turned off!
And wouldn’t you know it, when it turned off I was kind of low in the valley. I tried to get her back up the hill, but quickly realized I was going to have to “land out”.
For non-Slopers that means find a good spot way down the hill and do your best at a long distance far away landing. I did good and brought her in softly with no damage. But it was almost all the way down the hill.
So that ment a pretty good hike.
While I was down there I decided to take a couple of pictures of my favorite 2 trees in the valley.
I absolutely love these trees. Every time I go to Lilly I look down at these trees. In the afternoon they are beautiful with the wind making the leaves shimmer in the sunshine, especially beautiful in the late afternoon sunshine. (( Yeah I’m one of those kind of guys that really smells the roses along the way in this journey called life. I notice and fixate on things most people don’t give a second thought to. ))
I also saw the big coyote again today. No pic of him though.

Had a good session with the Carbon Bird later in the day.
I also flew the Momba today.

I found that if you are going to fly alone it is best to fly with music.

Anyway fun day and a little bit different than usual.
I was there from 12:30 to 4PM

Dave
Last edited by DWA; Nov 16, 2018 at 08:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2018, 10:49 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Good day today at Lilly.
I was there from 3 till about 4:30

Flew the Fox, Ahi, P-51 and the Weasel.

Looks like one of the homeowners bought a drone.
It is the 2nd house in on the side that has the grass park.
Anyway he flew from his backyard and crashed in the grass park near the 3 trees.
I think he hit a tree but I did not see it because I was flying my P-51 at the time.
There was a different homeowner walking his dog and he said he hit the tree. I just saw the aftermath and the drone on the grass.
It is a bright orange drone same size as a Phantom.

Just thought I should let you guys know.

I did not say anything to him but hopefully he knows we are not supposed to fly that type of aircraft over the park area.

I will keep my eye out and call Scot if it becomes an issue.

Probably no big deal, just if one of the other homeowners starts complaning about drones we need to let Scot know it is not our pilots.
Last edited by DWA; Nov 23, 2018 at 11:22 PM.
Nov 25, 2018, 09:49 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Went to the first Greg Morris Memorial Fun Fly at Bluff Park Long Beach today.

Greg passed away this year at 57 from heart problems.
He mostly flew at Bluff Park.

What a great day! I was pleasantly surprised how many people showed up. Very happy to see that.
Really enjoyed talking with everyone I got a chance to talk with.

Highlite of my day was flying in formation with Tom With our big P-51s, scratching for lift and just trying to stay airborne.
That was fun.

I am sure Greg was proud and smilin down on us.
I was also remembering my friend David Field today. He also died too young in 2012 and he also used to fly at Bluff Park all the time.

Dave
Last edited by DWA; Nov 25, 2018 at 10:12 PM.
Nov 29, 2018, 03:13 PM
AeroDan
BEAUTIFUL Flying Sites, DWA. My wife thinks so, too. How does one reach “Little Mountain” ? We live up here in Ontario. You mentioned your daughter’s ill. My wife & I are praying for her. What’s her illness? Sorry if we’re being nosey, and asking all the questions.
Nov 29, 2018, 10:07 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
It was a fun day at Lilly. I was happy to see Tom when I pulled up.
I wish he could’ve stayed longer.

It was a very windy day (stormy day) and a beautiful sunset. Although the wind with the storm was very turbulent, it would turn on and off and switch directions some.
Made for for some challenging flights and I did have to walk down the hill a couple of times when the wind dropped off.
I even ended up damaging my big P-51, easily fixable though.

I ended up flying till after sunset.

I flew BD-5, P-51, Momba and as the sun was setting and the wind dying down I had a great flight with the Weasel.
Last edited by DWA; Nov 29, 2018 at 11:23 PM.
Nov 29, 2018, 10:17 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
BEAUTIFUL Flying Sites, DWA. My wife thinks so, too. How does one reach “Little Mountain” ? We live up here in Ontario. You mentioned your daughter’s ill. My wife & I are praying for her. What’s her illness? Sorry if we’re being nosey, and asking all the questions.
Hi, thanks!

I’ll look and see if I can find some directions to Little Mountain. It’s a great place to fly.
Here is a link to The PGR Pages website.
It has the best directions on how to get there.
http://pgrpages.com/slopes/little-mountain/

My daughter has some kind of problem with her stomach. To be honest the doctors aren’t exactly sure what it is. Now they are saying it is something with her nervous system miss firing with the brain-gut connection. I have lost count how many doctors we have seen. Doctors in Stanford, LA, Orange County and San Diego. It is severe vomiting and severe pain. The vomiting has been so bad she has been on a feeding tube twice for several months each time and at one point she even had (TPN) Total Parenteral Nutrition. ( that’s when they feed you through your veins) She couldn’t hold anything down not even water. Digestive track was not working at all.
So we also had many trips to the ER to get a IV to prevent dehydration.
She is doing much better now not vomiting at all and able to eat normally but still has lots of stomach pain that comes and goes. Some days pain some days not.
The whole thing has been very hard on all of us.
My only escape is my hobbie.

Thanks for the prayers they are absolutely appreciated!

Dave
Last edited by DWA; Dec 02, 2018 at 11:43 AM.
Dec 28, 2018, 06:21 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Well that was a long spell with no wind. But it was broken today.

I flew with Rob at La Paz. It wasnít great but it was flyable.
I had the Opus and the Momba with me but I only flew the Momba.

The two pictures are of the parking area and of the slope as you look out.
Jan 03, 2019, 01:17 PM
AeroDan
Thanks for the link (directions), Dave. Valerie (my wife) & I will keep your daughter in our prayers. Although I don’t fly sailplanes, Little Mountain might be a BEAUTIFUL spot for my wife & I to watch the sunset after we visit Oak Glen (in Yucaipa) or something. Are powered aircraft allowed @Little Mountain? Daniel
Jan 08, 2019, 10:15 AM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
Thanks for the link (directions), Dave. Valerie (my wife) & I will keep your daughter in our prayers. Although I donít fly sailplanes, Little Mountain might be a BEAUTIFUL spot for my wife & I to watch the sunset after we visit Oak Glen (in Yucaipa) or something. Are powered aircraft allowed @Little Mountain? Daniel
Thanks Daniel!

Yes powered aircraft are allowed. But if itís a Wing with a really loud whining motor those are generally frowned upon.

Dave
Jan 08, 2019, 10:19 AM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Update on my daughter health. She has been doing much better!!!
She is even applying to colleges. For a long time there we thought her health would not allow her to be able to go to college. But that has changed because she has improved so much.

I believe everybodyís prayers are working!

Dave
Jan 21, 2019, 09:09 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Great day today flying at Lilly and Ridgeview.
I was first there but soon after I got there everybody else started showing up. We had a couple of guys show up today that did not have permits. So I took them to fly at Ridgeview. We all had a really good time lots of fun. Excellent wind and lift.

I saw a red tail hawk flying with what looks like a very large rattlesnake in his talons. Took a picture with my iPhone so quality is not that good, he was a little too far away but you can still tell.

Dave
Jan 21, 2019, 09:22 PM
I can fix that
Looks like a great time was had!
Jan 23, 2019, 05:43 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_Tested
Looks like a great time was had!
Yeah we had an especially good day that day.
Jan 23, 2019, 05:45 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP

This was actually yesterday on the 22nd but I forgot to update the logbook.

La Paz has been really good this morning. When I first got here it was amazing, probably one of the best days Iíve had here in years. Then the wind completely died I actually flew my drone and took some pictures of the area. ( I will post those later ) Now the wind is back and the flying is incredible. Really enjoying my yellow carbon Bird.

I also met a new pilot yesterday his name is Ed and he was from Tustin. Really nice guy!

Dave
Feb 07, 2019, 01:00 AM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Great day flying today at Lilly.
Perfect actually!
Flew my Libelle, Momba and mostly my BD-5 and P-51.

Wind is strong enough to blow the gate open every once in a while. And cold enough to take retreat in the warm truck in between flights.

It was beautiful how well you could see the snow on the mountains.

I also went to Ridgeview slope to fly my Mavic 2 Pro.

Dave
Last edited by DWA; Feb 09, 2019 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply