This thread is privately moderated by DWA, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 12, 2018, 07:21 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Thread OP
Data

Flying Log Book

So I think I’ll start a slope soaring logbook here.

This will only be for my gliders not for my Drones. So Drone flight will not be logged here.
I fly Drones professionally for Real Estate photography & videos.

((started flying RC with gliders January 1996 so this Log Book is far from complete, but might as well start now))

Whenever I go fly I’ll post where I’m flying and what I’m flying.

Today I was Flying the Trinity, the Carbon Bird, the P-51 Mustang, the Momba and the Weasel today at Lilly Shapell Park.
Was there from 1:30 to 4:40

28737 Drakes Bay, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677

And it was a good day as far as flying conditions, very windy, I would say 16-18mph gusting to over 20mph straight West.
Straight west is best for this slope.

Got a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks afterwards.

Had a really good day. And I needed it. This week was very rough, Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday were all spent at the hospital getting IV fluids for my daughter and her ongoing illness. That has been very hard on the whole family.

Lilly Shappel Park is located in the Hillcrest Estates development. The park is within the gated community and access is provided through the visitor entry gate during daylight hours. It is located on the east rim of the Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park in the City of Laguna Niguel.
Lilly Shapell Park is the home of the Laguna Niguel Slope Soaring Guild and is known for its spectacular views and thermal conditions that are excellent for flying model gliders.
The slope works best in West winds but works well in winds ranging from WNW to WSW and there is a lot of thermal elements in the lift.
The slope is a steep 280 foot west-facing slope. The top landing area is mowed grass, but it’s narrow and next to expensive homes and several trees. The preferred place to land larger and faster planes is on the face of the slope near the top rather than on the grass.
The flying of electronic or gasoline powered model airplanes is prohibited.

A City permit is required to fly gliders at the park. To receive a permit, pilots must demonstrate the ability to successfully fly a glider at this location and must comply with all park regulations. After you pass a flying test and have been approved by 5 members other than the tester then you can submit your permit (license).

A Glider Permit Application must be submitted to:
Crown Valley Park
29751 Crown Valley Parkway
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677

Thought I should update this first post. Just wanted to say I won’t be logging every single day I fly. There of been several days I’ve missed because I got busy in the afternoon. Or just forgot to put it on my blog.
Last edited by DWA; Apr 04, 2019 at 03:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2018, 06:21 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Today I went to Lilly and maidened my new Xplorer2 sailplane. At 3.8 meters it is my biggest aircraft. It flew perfect. Didn’t need any trim and the CG was spot on. I had 2 flights with it and 2 perfect landings.
I used the 2 cell Lipo that came with it. It seemed to me that I used a lot of milliamp hours for the two short flights that I had. So I will have to keep an eye on this battery.
When doing the CG before I went flying today I noticed that at 135 mm it was nose heavy (135mm is what the manufacturer recommends) and at 130 mm it was balanced. I think I’m gonna stick with 130 the plane flew well at that balance point. I did not need to add any nose weight to get this balance point just pushed the two cell battery came with all the way forward.

I flew my Momba today also.
Flew from 1:30 to 3:00
Last edited by DWA; Oct 14, 2018 at 07:14 PM.
Oct 15, 2018, 09:15 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Flew Steegs in Irvine today.
Big Santa Ana winds today. Gusting up to 50mph.
It was amazing and crazy all at once.
It was so windy today that I saw three downed trees and multiple broken branches and trees on the way to the slope!
Also practically got blown off the road while driving the truck.

The Erwin had 4 amazing flights but on the last one I came in to far back and got slamed down by the rotor.
Minor damage but she is not perfect anymore.
Looks like one of the servos got striped as well so that will need to be replaced.

Flew the Opus 4 times and Momba a few times as well, great day!

As much as I love the Erwin I would have to say that it seemed like the Opus outperformed the Erwin.

Note to self...when flying at Steegs don’t go too far back for the landing. Every time I have trouble with landing at this slope it is because I got too far back!
Oct 18, 2018, 06:31 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Flew at Lilly Shapell today.

Really good day!

Started with a quick warm-up with the Momba.

Then I flew the Xplorer2 3.8 meter sailplane. That was a lot of fun and I caught one thermal but there wasnít a whole lot of thermal activity today
Had a perfect landing with it. But I didnít fly it a second time because the winds got too strong for it.

Next one up was the Aris 3.3 meter.
Now this one can handle stronger wind and thrives in it. Had a great time flying. Did two flights each one about 15 minutes. First landing was perfect, in the bushes towards the left-hand side of the slope where we usually land. Second landing I came in over the footpath and tried to land in the bushes but missed it by about 2 1/2 or 3 feet. So I ended up landing on the compacted gravel and sand footpath. Didnít land that hard because I had full flaps on. But enough to put a substantial divit with some of my green paint in it. Ha ha. And it sounded like a hard hit. But there was absolutely no damage to the nose. This carbon fiber stuff is really strong. But next time Iíd rather land in the bushes as usual.

Flew the Momba again and then flew my Windrider Fox.

Also I charged the 2 cell li-ion battery today in the Xplorer2
I am keeping a close eye on this battery to make sure it is good. After flying for about 15 minutes today it only lost a small amount of charge so I think it is doing good.

Fun day.
Last edited by DWA; Nov 02, 2018 at 09:08 PM.
Oct 19, 2018, 09:19 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Good day today at Lilly Shapell.

This time I flew the Typhoon, Carbon Bird, Momba and my Ahi.
Really enjoying the Typhoon lately and landing most of the time on the grass.

Was there from 3 to 5pm.
Last edited by DWA; Oct 23, 2018 at 09:27 PM.
Oct 23, 2018, 09:25 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Enjoyable day at Lilly today.
Was there from 3-5 again.

Flew the Momba then the Typhoon and the Fox. Then had two great flights with the Xplorer2 and did both landing on the top grass.
I also loaded the Typhoon on the grass. Actually loaded everything on the grass.
If the wind is light then there is not a rotor and it is easy to land up top on the grass.

I have been landing a lot up top lately. One reason is that I talked to the grounds keeper again today and they saw another rattle snake. So that is 3 in the last month.
Oct 26, 2018, 10:34 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Really fun day today at Lilly.
I had a wide variety of airplanes to fly. Everything from PSS to F3J
Was there from 2-5pm

First out was the glass BD-5 PSS then the Ahi. Then Rob showed up and he wanted to see my Xplorer2 3.8 meter sailplane fly so that went up next. Rob did not bring anything to fly and he did not stay long. He did show me a really cool FPV wing that can go out 10 miles one way, 20 round-trip
Then the Momba Wing then the P-51 PSS then several more flights with the Xplorer2.
I did six flights total with the Xplorer2 and Rob was kind enough to video three of them.
Also found out I could fly the li-ion in the Xplorer2 down to 6v (3v per cell) and still be safe. Also it can sit for many months and not louse much charge. no need to top it off before flight

I have a couple short videos from today.

Xplorer2 flight 1 (1 min 46 sec)

Xplorer2 flight 2 (1 min 3 sec)

Dave
Last edited by DWA; Nov 02, 2018 at 08:41 PM.
Oct 28, 2018, 11:40 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Went to Little Mountain today for the Hallo-Wing-Fest. (this is a foam wing combat contest where we try to hit each other with our foam wing and knock the other guy out of the sky)

Had I great time. I was first one there at 11:30 and last to leave with Dan & Dave at 7:30.

I flew my 2 electric powered ASW-28's at first because there was not much wind when I got there. I flew the big and the small ASW-28. I like the bigger one much better and will probably just give away the smaller one.

The Hobbyking Volantex ASW-28 is the one I will keep. It is an excellent flying glider when set up right!
By the way the Volantex has also been sold under the names Lanyu and Modster but the current name is Volantex and that is the one I bought.

Then I flew my Dream Flight Weasel Evo, Weasel Trek, Alula Evo, Ahi, Windrider Fox.

And of course I flew my Momba in the combat contest. I did pretty good. 24 pilots started and when I went down only 6 were still up. It was a lot of fun!

Great day hanging out and flying and talking with everyone.
I flew all day and flew 8 out of the 9 planes I brought. Only one I did not fly was my small glass BD-5

Dave
Last edited by DWA; Nov 02, 2018 at 09:32 PM.
Oct 30, 2018, 07:57 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Good day at Lilly today.
Flew the Weasel Trek, Typhoon then the Fox and the Momba.

I was there from 3:30 to 5pm
Wind was light but good.

I had a rough landing with the Typhoon today.
I was landing up top on the grass and came in wrong got caught in the rotor and in turned me sideways and landed kind of sideways.
I really do like the way the Typhoon flies.
Nov 02, 2018, 08:38 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Supper fun day today at Lilly.
First I worked on the Weasel Evo in the garage today. Adding ballast inside the wing above the spar.
Flew my Weasel Evo that I loaded up with 7oz’s of ballast, it flew great. The wind was a lot stronger than it was predicted.
After the Weasel I flew my repaired Typhoon. Apparently when I made the repairs yesterday the fuselage was not adjusted correctly. Maybe not pushed in far enough. And I had very little elevator throw. Upon trying to do a loop it was very difficult to pull out.
And had another rough landing. No big deal though.
Them I flew the big Red & Silver P-51 Mustang.
After that I had a great time flying my Fox and my Weasel Trek to some music. (Khalid) I need to remember how much I enjoy flying with my music. I should definitely do that more often.

No pictures of the airplanes today.

I was flying from 2 PM till 4:30 PM

I’ll post a couple pictures from the two weather apps I use. I need to remember that if I see a 7 or even 6 mile an hour West wind, it is more than enough to fly.
My old standard was 10 miles an hour West But it is flyable in a lot less than that.
Last edited by DWA; Nov 02, 2018 at 09:11 PM.
Nov 07, 2018, 08:18 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Great day at Lilly today.

I was there from 1:30 to 4:30.

Wind was really good had a great time flying my PSS Glass BD-5.
Then the 2 Weasels and the La Fish.
I wanted to Maiden my DLG Libelle but the wind was too strong.

Also I saw a big Coyote down in the valley, I wish I had my good camera to take a proper picture. But I got a shot with the iPhone zoomed in.

Dave
Nov 08, 2018, 09:08 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Today was a fun day chasing the wind.
First I went to Steegs only to find the wind was still blowing west and had not shifted to north east yet.
So I flew (maidened) my Libelle DLG on the lower part of Steegs and then on the back side of Steegs.
It was fun but I did not stay long.
I decided to go to Top Of The World slope in Laguna.
It was actually a pretty quick drive taking the Toll roads.

I flew the Weasel there and had some really good flights. The wind was strong, to strong for the Libelle.
As I was driving home the Santa Ana Winds started to pick up as predicted.
Last edited by DWA; Nov 09, 2018 at 06:54 PM.
Nov 09, 2018, 06:53 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Today we had Santa Anna winds again. And one of the better places to fly when those winds come around is Steegs.
Today was good but not epic. The winds were just not strong enough. When I first got there they were pretty strong and I was able to fly my heavy Weasel Evo.
It weighs 24oz and they normally weigh 10 to 11oz.
After that flight I flew my normal weight Weasel Trek a few times.
Then flew my Opus.
I had my Glass PSS BD-5 but the wind was just not strong enough to throw it out.
It was a good day! The best part was that there were six of us up there at Steegs. Itís always more fun to fly with other guys and friends!
Nov 14, 2018, 04:49 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Lilly’s today. Good fun day.
Flew the Xplorer2 it’s battery was at 7.91mah when I took off and at 7.81 when I landed 15 min later. Just documenting this info for future reference.
I landed in the usual spot in the bushes on the top left. The problem was that I got inpatient and pushed the nose down to force the landing on the 3rd go around. This resulted in some small damage to the leading edge of one of the outer wing panels. Must have hit one of the bigger branches. I should have taken my time.
It will be an easy fix.
This made me think I should try the landing area that Tommey showed me on the protruding ridge on the right. Half way down the slope.
I have had several perfect landing with the Xplorer2 up top on the grass but there is a risk of hitting the cement curb on the trail doing this. Also landing up top on the grass can only be safely done when the wind is light. Because if the wind is light the rotor is mostly nonexistent.
Anyway...
I practiced a few landings on the lower right ridge with my Momba.
Landing was supper easy but it is tricky walking down the ridge while you are flying. I almost slipped and fell twice.

It was fun learning a new approach and landing technic.

I also flew both Weasels and my PSS glass BD-5.
The 2018 PSS build group is starting and they are going to build the same BD-5 I have so I have been motivated to fly mine more often now. It preformes great and I love flying it.

Dave
Last edited by DWA; Nov 16, 2018 at 01:01 PM.
Nov 15, 2018, 09:23 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Well Iíll never be skunked at Lilly Shapell again.
This Dream Flight Libelle is awesome. Iím just amazed how easily it catches thermals over the valley and how quickly it goes up. I donít think Iíve ever had any aircraft that has ascended in a thermal so quickly.
When I first got here earlier today there was very little wind but I had a great time flying the Libelle.
This thing will fly with absolutely no wind, just need a good handle launch.

Wind picked up and I did fly the big P-51 and my Fox.

I like that I can bring my big P-51 without taking the wing off.

Quick Reply