Oct 11, 2018, 07:27 PM
Picco 60. Similar size/weight. All gear in stock location and no balance issues. I didn't even bother putting the battery behind the servos. It's a tad nose heavy per the manual. Flies great.
Eric
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2018, 07:33 PM
I fly a DB wwith a Novarossi .92/pipe and it's a blast. I also fly a P7 with a NR .91, no pipe.
Oct 11, 2018, 09:41 PM
AMA 843524
Thread OP
Thank you guys for all the great info! Its nice to finally know what engines are the short strokes and long strokes and how to identify them. David, I realize now and makes sense what Frank Hurd was talking about after you explained it further. So far, I do have my servos set up to be mounted in the aft wing saddle/radio bay right about at the TE of the wing in the P7. I'll have to take a look and see what it would take to mount the battery behind the servos. Eric, I like that DB of yours it looks real nice, is that the ARF with the engine mounted vertical? I would like to mount the engine vertical in my DB ARF rather than on its side, but wasn't sure it was possible? The cowling looks to be shorter than the original Dirty Birdy cowling. Again, appreciate all the info from everyone posting in the thread!

Brent
Oct 11, 2018, 10:02 PM
DavidsPlanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by edh13
All the Rossi's were short stroke.
Eric
An article on the venerable Rossi 60 RE SS:

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng...2061%20RE.html

However, just a minor correction as I was surprised when I learned this myself (only) some 10 years ago:

Not all Rossi engines are short strokes (SS). Toward the end of the Rossi brother business, they started to produce long strokes sometimes denoted with "ringed" heads (not to be confused with ringed pistons). Subsequently, AXE continued to produce these engines in different displacements (61, 65, 81) and geometries (e.g., see attached).

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow...fo-please.html

Further, NR, Cesare Rossi's new company also made long strokes. In fact, the well known NR R61F Speed/13 (released in 2013) as well as it's lower timed version better suited to pattern (simply the NR R61F) and it's SE counterpart (R60F) are also surprisingly long stroke engines. They don't sound or behave like it but they are...

There are several threads on Rossi engines here in the classic forum as well as in engine forums both here and on RCU.

David
Last edited by doxilia; Oct 12, 2018 at 06:08 AM.
Oct 11, 2018, 10:33 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia
Here are some photos from the early 90's Rossi catalog slightly before the brothers split so the engines were not yet branded AXE nor did NR exist yet.

David
I will take one of each of those airplane engines please.
Oct 11, 2018, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agcat88
Thank you guys for all the great info! Its nice to finally know what engines are the short strokes and long strokes and how to identify them. David, I realize now and makes sense what Frank Hurd was talking about after you explained it further. So far, I do have my servos set up to be mounted in the aft wing saddle/radio bay right about at the TE of the wing in the P7. I'll have to take a look and see what it would take to mount the battery behind the servos. Eric, I like that DB of yours it looks real nice, is that the ARF with the engine mounted vertical? I would like to mount the engine vertical in my DB ARF rather than on its side, but wasn't sure it was possible? The cowling looks to be shorter than the original Dirty Birdy cowling. Again, appreciate all the info from everyone posting in the thread!

Brent
Yep that’s the ARF, the stock mount is square so you can mount it either way. I like the look of the more traditional upright engine. It makes the pipe thing easier also. The cowl is too short. With the longer Italian engines there’s too much spinner gap for my taste. Even with the engine as far back as possible it’s over a 1/16 of an inch.
Eric
Oct 12, 2018, 08:15 AM
What Eric said! I mounted the engine upright also (OS 61FX with MAC header and pipe) with no balance issues. Flew great, sold it for someone else to enjoy!
Mark
Last edited by hook57; Oct 12, 2018 at 02:54 PM.
Oct 12, 2018, 09:09 AM
AMA 843524
Thread OP
Excellent, I will definitely be mounting my engine upright now that I see it's possible. I to like the original or traditional look of the DB. Do you guys know if the classic black head and AXE Rossi 60's will run with the Nova Rossi long black tuned pipe? The reason I ask is, I have one of those pipes and thought it would be neat to have a complete Rossi setup on the DB.

Brent
Oct 12, 2018, 09:55 AM
KM6UBL
Quote:
Excellent, I will definitely be mounting my engine upright now that I see it's possible. I to like the original or traditional look of the DB. Do you guys know if the classic black head and AXE Rossi 60's will run with the Nova Rossi long black tuned pipe? The reason I ask is, I have one of those pipes and thought it would be neat to have a complete Rossi setup on the DB.

Brent
Yes. I have yet to find an engine that did not like the NR pipe.

Robert
Oct 12, 2018, 02:45 PM
AMA 843524
Thread OP
Good to know, then I am going to use that setup. Now, to decide on using one of the classic black heads or the AXE. Thanks.
Brent
Oct 12, 2018, 11:54 PM
DavidsPlanes
Quote:

Brent
Brent,

Not only can you use the NR pipe on most “Rossi” engines but you can also use the headers. This is especially true with RE engines where the NR silicone rand and “soft mount” header will mount on every Rossi I’ve tried. For SE engines the screw spacing on the rectangular exhaust port engines changes from engine to engine but if you have the correct SE header adapter, the exhaust nozzle is then the same as in the RE engines so NR SE headers also work.

In addition, Joe here on the forum has kindly made aluminum side and rear exhaust adapters to fit the NR soft mount header system to other engine brands including YS, OPS and Webra classic engines. They were made for YS engines but OPS and Webra happen to have the same mount spacing and flange type (though the size of the screws differs between engines).

David
Oct 13, 2018, 07:30 AM
My P7 on a o s. 55ax and pipe. Perfect combination. Man I shouldn't have sold it
Oct 13, 2018, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182
My P7 on a o s. 55ax and pipe. Perfect combination. Man I shouldn't have sold it
Glad I have mine. Gonna fly it this weekend.
Oct 13, 2018, 11:03 AM
AMA 843524
Thread OP
David, thanks for all the info on the Rossi engines. I have one of the 5 port Rossi 60 Fire SS and have been contemplating swapping out my only YS SS60 engine and pipe combination in my LA2 with the Rossi 60 SS? I am definitely more familiar with the Rossi engines and wouldn't mind having only Rossi's powering all my fleet. I'm not sure about the performance comparison between the two and how much modification it would take on the engine swap, but I might take a look into that this winter. As it looks today my flying season is pretty much done as we have a major snowstorm working its way through with 5 inches of snow on the ground so far.
Brent

Quick Reply