Jun 08, 2021, 02:22 PM
Made one more gudgeon, brazed a little out of squared, but the great thickness helped for trimming with file and sandpaper. It' s usable.
Four remain to be done.

Alberto
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2021, 04:17 PM
Sorry, it required more time to take two pictures than build the fitting. When you forget the head is between the ears it can happen.
But I' m happy with the work done.

Here is what I was able to do. I think the pin can be banally glued in place.

Alberto
Jun 14, 2021, 04:28 PM
Discovery of the day.
I am going on brazing the pieces for the gudgeons and today I decided for a sort of experiment.
I used the three pieces of brass depicted in the pictures of the post #446.
The three pieces were brazed together in steps: first I brazed one side plate with the central one, then I also wanted to braze the other side plate.
The first joint made was not affected at all by the second brazing process, neither was melted nor deformed.
This interesting fact lets me think that I could braze complex parts in several steps with good results.
I will have to try again.

Alberto
Jun 14, 2021, 04:54 PM

Sheathing??

I know one can get copper foil and even copper sticky back tape. But Alberto, are you really planning to sheathe the hull? if so, I am interested, since my new project the Picket Launch Mars called for a copper sheathed bottom (but I was planning to paint it ). This will be interesting!

Carl
Jun 14, 2021, 05:34 PM
Hello Carl,

I had the thought a couple of years ago, but nothing more. So, to answer, no for the moment.
In the spring of the 2019 I fiddled with the paints to obtain a good copper color and I obtained it (actually two), then I looked at the hull and imagined it painted in brown. I didn' t like the idea.
Conclusion, the hull is a particular red with a consistent component of yellow that makes it change a lot in different light conditions.
In low light it looks light brown, in bright light it looks like a Ferrari.

In pictures two of the samples I worked out. Both are suitable but I preferred not to use them.

Alberto
Jun 14, 2021, 05:45 PM
Carl,

If you are interested I have noted the composition of the two samples on their back.

Alberto
Jun 18, 2021, 07:38 AM
Ok, lets the painting thoughts in a corner.
Other two gudgeons have been built. This time I haven' t been so precise, as when coupling them, how to say ... they swing a bit. Luckily they are the central ones.

I will see, when I will assembly all them onto the rudder how they will work together.
An adjustment is still possible by brazing a piece of brass rod of the suitable diameter into the hole and drilling a new, better hole.

The little parts for the last two gudgeons have been almost all cutted and trimmed.
However here it is becoming hot and hotter, I will maybe have to find the time for brazing along the night.
It' a fact that at night it is much cooler and silent.

Alberto
Jun 22, 2021, 04:08 PM
Today afternoon I arrived to build the third rudder gudgeon, then I fitted the three gudgeons on the rudder and tried to insert a brass tube. It fits perfectly in all the three gudgeons without effort.
I am not surprised in how well these fittings turn out, I am simply incredulous and also I have still to fit them on the hull.
I have to finish taper the last gudgeon then I will take a picture or two. Possibly it will be later in the night, as here in Padana Valley we are having some temperatures maybe worth of Texas!
However, this is not surprisingly because it is pratically like this evey year.

Alberto
Jun 23, 2021, 02:59 PM
It has become so late at night that it is the next day...
The "funny" inconvenient has been to finish the sandpaper on the past night while the fitting wasn' t completely tapered yet.
I' ve finished tapering it today.
Then I try-fitted the three rudder gudgeons on the plywood parts for the rudder and inserted a brass tube through them, as like as I had done yesterday.
The tube goes through all the three gudgeons and rotates pretty well and that is all I wished and hoped for.
I have also taken the pictures.

Alberto
Jun 23, 2021, 03:23 PM
One gudgeon only remains to do and I have now 5 meters of sandpaper to taper it, then I will have to find the way to get the brass taste off me.

Alberto
Jun 23, 2021, 05:35 PM
Looking GOOD!
Jun 23, 2021, 05:41 PM
THANK YOU!

It has also been very funny to build these small metal fittings.

Alberto
Jun 24, 2021, 05:13 PM

Brazing Jig

Alberto, The ceramic plate that makes your jig with locator pins is brilliant! Is that a purchased set-up or did you make it? You are doing amazing precision work; I am inspired!

-cm
Last edited by carlfmiller; Jun 24, 2021 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Correction
Jun 25, 2021, 03:43 AM
Hello Carl,

Thank you a lot!

I like very much to try myself in precision works. Sometimes I work out something very good and sometimes not... This time it is the first case, luckily for me.
In past time, when I was very young, mom used to call me Mr. Precisione. I still think she didn' t joke.

I wasn' t sure at all of the result when I started, there was mainly an idea and no more, then I tried to build one of these fittings and I saw it could work.
So, I went ahead and build a couple of gudgeons per week. (I can be precise but I remain slow......)
I needed only six gudgeons, or three hinges, that means it took me three weeks to build all them.
I am quite confident that when installed the effort will pay off.

The ceramic plate is not a self build tool. Too many holes to make.
Micro-perforated ceramic plates like this can be found easily here in specialized shops.
The one I have is 197x140x13 mm and is quite large. There' s another size available but it looked too small to me.
It is a quality tool of very good standard.

Alberto
Last edited by AlbertRoss; Jun 25, 2021 at 05:42 AM. Reason: added an old memory

Quick Reply