Jan 31, 2020, 06:30 PM
Mr. Stephen Vick,

Sir, I am grateful for your awesome comment.

For the moment, slower has meant better.

Alberto
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2020, 05:48 PM
Hello,

I finished to fiberglass the inside of the hull where will be fitted the ballast, and added some longitudinals for strengthness and woods for screwing eyebolts. It was a three days of immersion in low cure resin and quick epoxy... Tomorrow I will take a breath of fresh air as here it seems that the weather is oriented quite to spring. Next, I will give a coat of resin to all the added parts, and a second coat to all the ensemble of beams, longitudinals and hatches, before taking some pictures.

AlbertRoss
Feb 12, 2020, 05:53 PM
rshousha
Thread OP
Spring? Here is my street yesterday.
Feb 12, 2020, 06:15 PM
Today afternoon we had here eighteen C degrees. Actually it was not today, it was yesterday; it is tomorrow, here.
Feb 14, 2020, 12:29 PM
Spring... as usual I spoke too early. It rained all the night, temperatures went down ten C degrees. Today morning was windy with gusts. Now it is better.

Rshousha, that is for sure what can be called winter. Here trees are near to beginning flowering, fifteen days in advance.
Feb 18, 2020, 05:39 PM
Fiberglassed some four spaces more inside the hull. "Melius abundare, quam deficere". Also I gave a second coat of resin to beams and longitudinals. I hope having finished with resin, even if a second coat on the glassed parts could be good.
Totally, with hatches, longitudinals, fiberglass and resin, I added to the hull 200 gr. I know this is the weight of three IOM hulls together. Weighted in July last year, my hull, painted and with two coats of resin inside, was 4000 gr. It isn' t certain a feather, and there isn' t still the ballast. I' ll have to register in the gym before launching.

AlbertRoss
Feb 19, 2020, 09:07 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Will you utilize a false keel? If not I recommend it. A keel box can be made to accept a "Fin and Bulb" keel which can be easily removed for transport and display. Scale models of early sailing vessels often require such, to sail more efficiently.
Feb 19, 2020, 10:39 AM
Stephen Vick,

I will not utilize a false keel. I avoid "Fin and Bulb" due to the fact that I consider them inestetic for old boats and the pond where I can sail is also a fishing reserve (lines and similar stuff would get caught in the bulb). I know, the boat will sail quite well, however... this is not exactely scaled down. This model has a deepened keel, of 1.75 inches. This should be enough for having more displacement, that mostly will become ballast.
You can see this in the attached file in the first post of this thread.

My first experience was with a Nottingham J-Class (the Canterbury with complete hull) that is a very funny boat. I know that you have a Canterbury J-Class (Shamrock V? I saw it in pictures), so I think you understand my point of view. Some little modifies can let you sailing, so it is good to go in this way, however, in those boats which absolutely require fin and bulb it is wise to use it. I read somewhere that "Simple is good, except when complicated is better".

AlbertRoss
Feb 19, 2020, 11:16 AM
Stephen Vick,

For transport I would make part of the ballast removable in practical small bags. Having said this, the boat will be in every way more than fifteen kilograms, that is more than thirtythree pounds. This is the main problem of the deepened hull: weight, due to a quite short righting arm.
So for once I will use the muscles instead of brain... even if it is usually the exact opposite.

Alberto
Feb 19, 2020, 12:30 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I see your point, and yes I've built three Canterbury J's and they do have a deepened keel. Also weeds , fishing lines, etc... don't seem to bother a Canterbury J. Carry on smartly, she's going to be a real beauty.
Feb 20, 2020, 01:06 PM
Alberto,
Your thoughts on removable ballast are the same as mine.
I find working on & handling the model much easier with out the ballast in it.
I did not want to have transporting problems with a heavy model either. Sometimes you are in awkward positions trying to handle the model in and out of a vehicle and the lighter weight can make a huge difference. My ballast is 18 Lb so I am close to the same weight range.
My bow sprit will be removable too .
Feb 20, 2020, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
I see your point, and yes I've built three Canterbury J's and they do have a deepened keel. Also weeds , fishing lines, etc... don't seem to bother a Canterbury J. Carry on smartly, she's going to be a real beauty.
"A beauty, a little overweight but still a beauty despite the years". Please, don' t ask where I found this. It is one of that phrases that sometime come out themself. I think was referred to Mrs. Bennet, the mother in "Pride and Prejudice", read more than twentyfive years ago. So I' m not sure. Then, we discuss of boats.

So... "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!". I couldn't resist and I used this famous phrase. I think that you know it well. I am only worried of my full speed. I think that it is called slowness. But we have already wrote on this.

Also, many thanks, I' m doing to make her a beauty. The result will speak by himself, a day.

RegH,

I have still to work on the removable bowsprit supposing that will not take much time. For the moment I haven' t yet decided to beginning the works on masts, but I think that will be the next step, together with the fitting of servos and lines. This boat has a matter with the diameter of masts: it is huge, more than a inch. It will take a week each to taper them. However I' ll not proceed until the inside of the hull will be right as I want.
We are in the same weight range only for the number as mine is around 17, but these are kilograms, that is a little more than double of 18 Lb, making approx 37.5 Lb. This is why I said she will not be a feather. The displacement is supposed to be more than 50 Lb.

Alberto
Last edited by AlbertRoss; Feb 20, 2020 at 06:10 PM.
Feb 20, 2020, 07:42 PM
Alberto,
Yes my boat will be lighter.
You need to start going to the gym!
Feb 21, 2020, 05:17 AM
RegH,

Tomorrow...

Alberto
Feb 21, 2020, 10:02 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Yes, as Admiral Farragut said at the battle of Mobile bay " Damn the torpedoes, Full speed ahead". We suffer for our art. My Newport 12 meter weighs in at just over 40 pounds , with 25 pounds of removable keel weight. My Schooner weighs in at over 45 pounds with keel weight fixed. Its a royal pain getting them to the pond. However, they are so majestic on the water! I will leave you with another quote; "Give me a fast ship, and a star to sail her by" (John Paul Jones). Keep up the great work!

Quick Reply