Oct 10, 2018, 07:14 AM
rshousha
Thread OP
Discussion

Schooner America in 1:20 scale

I thought you all might get a kick out of some frame parts I just drew up for the schooner America, in 1:20 scale. Hopefully these will get to see the water some day.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2018, 10:07 AM
Boaters are nice people.
I hope not, if the frames get wet there has to be water inside the hull....

Just kidding.

Looks like the right size for this type of hull.

Regards, Jan.
Oct 11, 2018, 02:01 PM

Hi Rick

The sprit will make the model past 6 feet from tip to stern......

So, this would be a good size.

I will order one after my contractor planks the next plug.

Thanks for tooling this model!

Dean
Facebook: Miniature Harken
Oct 11, 2018, 09:09 PM
rshousha
Thread OP
Jan, it took me some time but I finally did get the joke. You''re right, we don't want the frames to see the water, unless the hull is clear!

Dean, thanks. Please send me a PM when you're ready to order.

Cheers,

Rick
Oct 15, 2018, 07:46 AM
rshousha,

I might have plans somewhere for all the deck fittings, wheel house, cockpit, cabin, ect... let me know if you are interested
Oct 15, 2018, 07:55 AM
rshousha
Thread OP
Hi marcsmith,

Yes, I am very much interested in moving along with these projects. For instance, I am working on an automated system to design king planks for any boat in any scale and I am now waiting for a quote from a Spanish supplier to have deck planking made with a very fine black veneer on each side to simulate the black lines on a typical yacht's deck. By having the veneer attached to the plank itself, modeller's can sand the decks and still have the lines showing clearly.

So, yes, I want to move ahead with whatever interesting information I can get.

Thanks!
Oct 15, 2018, 06:24 PM

Planking

Rick,

Do you know who could plank this model?
My one supplier is booked with my work
I could supply sticks(basswood from Balsa USA)

Dean
Last edited by Derusha; Oct 15, 2018 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Added info.
Oct 15, 2018, 06:59 PM
rshousha
Thread OP
Hi Dean,

How many do you want to do at one time? Just one? Yes, I think I can find someone for you. Please send me a PM and we can work it out.

Thanks,

Rick
Oct 16, 2018, 07:51 AM
rshousha, one of the common ways to get the sealant lines is to use contruction paper.

shoot me a pm with your email and I'll send you what Ive got
Oct 17, 2018, 02:40 PM
rshousha
Thread OP
Hi,

The construction paper is good but it takes a certain amount of time to install and isn't super clean. What I am developing is a solid wood plank with a solid wood veneer already installed on each plank. It will be very clean, sharp and perfectly even all the way across. Of course it will be very expensive but I think there is a good demand for excellent quality for model parts.
Oct 31, 2018, 05:23 PM
rshousha
Thread OP
Well it turns out that the veneer idea for the boards for the deck planks is just way too expensive. A 1/8" x 1?8" x 48" board is $12.00. Considering a deck is some 90 inches long with 38 planks on each side, this works out to over $1000 in wood just for the deck.

OK, so on to something else.
Oct 31, 2018, 05:24 PM
rshousha
Thread OP
The first set of frames for America has arrived in Italy. Interesting that the first people to land on America came from there.
Dec 10, 2019, 06:28 PM
Hello everybody.

I am new here in this forum so I' ve to understand how it runs here.
Said this, after a little more than a year, I decided to register me and post some pictures of the model that I' m building using the frames that Mr. Shousha drawn for me and hopefully for some others.
I also want to let know that my English could be not extremely correct, I never spoke it and I write using all that I learnt at the time of school and in many e-mails written along the years.

Then, if some of you has already seen the pictures, it is surely thank to Mr. Shousha, who has many many pictures that I sent during the last year.
So, after many words, I think that pictures could be appreciated. I hope you are interested and you like them.

Thanks to everybody.
Last edited by AlbertRoss; Feb 02, 2020 at 06:00 PM.
Dec 10, 2019, 07:56 PM
rshousha
Thread OP
Hello AlbertRoss,

Welcome to RCGroups and thank you for putting these pictures on this site.

Also, I just received your nice postcard from Rome, one of my favorite cities in the world. There really is nothing quite like spending some time on the steps of the Duomo.

Ciao,

Rick
Dec 11, 2019, 11:51 AM
Hello Mr. Shousha,

So finally it arrived; I was worry.
My sister choosed the postcard for me, because I usually need an hour for this.
I was in Rome for a degree, of my sister' s "boyfriend". Only one day but enough to re-see something; we was very hurry.
I was also in Saint Peter, but I don' t entered. I' ve seen from far.
Next time I' ll go again on the dome.
Surely it was the perfect occasion for an old hand-written postcard.

The work on the model goes ahead slowly. I just cut and assembled a plywood plate for the servos and previously I deligned the hatches and the round space for the cockpit.
I' ll need to buy something to build the rudder, then install it and complete the reinforcements for the deck fittings (chromed brass blocks). New pictures will arrive maybe at the beginning of the new year, in January.

Regards,

Alberto
Last edited by AlbertRoss; Jul 16, 2020 at 03:06 PM.

Quick Reply