This thread is privately moderated by schumixmd, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 09, 2018, 01:57 PM
Thread OP
Idea

Jumper T12: corrected navigation

I've got my Jumper T12 for review transmitter few days ago. Unfortunately it came so late that it almost make no sense to make another review, so I thought I will not spend my time making a review, rather I will spend it on something better. I hope BGKevin who sent me the TX will understand.

The reviewers reported few problems with the TX:
1. since the Jumper T12 actually is the copy of the Taranis X7 but instead of the rotary encoder for menu navigation it got four buttons, the navigation in the menu is implemented awful and it is very weird, considering such button layout.
2. on the transmitter the switches are marked G and H, but since the companion doesn't have the Jumper T12 radio type and Taranis has switches F and H, sometimes its confusing to configure.

OpenTX team said that they will not support JumperTX in any way and the problem left to be solved by Jumper team.
I have decided to adventure myself and correct those problems by "porting" the OpenTX firmware to the Jumper T12 in a different way than Jumper team did.

First of all, having the + layout of the buttons, it make sense to have the navigation somehow similar to what Taranis Xlite has. Additionaly Xlite has the "shift" key, but it is there more for the trims, because Xlite doesn't feature separate trim buttons for both sticks, so I don't mind that it is not present on T12. This is the first task.

The second task is to add Jumper T12 board in Companion with correct switches, so that anybody can configure models in Companion easier.

To solve the task, I have forked the OpentTX version 2.2.2 firmware branch and added the Jumper T12 radio type to the firmware. The developement I did is related strictly this radio and is not over the Taranis X7 like Jumper team did in JumperTX. So my work can be pulled by OpenTX devs, if they'll decide so at any moment. The most of the work is done, hopefully. The firmware version shows 2.2.3 because the devs at OpenTX already started to work on it.

So, in my port the navigation looks like that:
Left Exit button -> works as exit
Left Enter button -> works as enter
Enter long press -> when on main view brings the Reset flight.. menu.

The right buttons are working like in the Xlite, which I do consider to be very intuitive:
It is obvious - we have navigation up, down, left and right.

Long press left -> radio configuration menu
Long press right -> model configuration menu
Long press up -> stats view
Long press down -> telemetry screens.

If anyone is interested to test, you can find the pre-built firmwares on Github.
Both have Multiprotocol, LUA and LUAC enabled.

Attention: Test at your own risk! Due to the lack of time to test, the firmware is untested. I would be very happy if you would report bugs. I tried to do my best but I do admit that in the proccess of porting I might missed something, because I had to reverse engineer the firmware . I have never looked into it until now.

Note: I don't plan to support the developement in any way except bug correction where caused by me while porting. I am limiting myself to get me a working version of OpenTX 2.2.2 on my T12, and share it with the community.

Links:
Update 13.10.2018. found few bugs and strange behaviour of the Radio. Firmware removed at this time.
Update 13.10.2018. Bugs induced due to wrongly defined PCBTYPE. Corrected and firmwares re-uploaded.

opentx-jumpert12-heli-multi-nolua-fontstd-13102018.zip
opentx-jumpert12-noheli-multi-nolua-fontsqt5-13102018.zip
opentx-jumpert12-noheli-multi-nolua-fontstd-13102018.zip

Companion-JumperT12-09102018- doesn't include any simlators. JumperT12 simulator is not ready yet. Don't use for anything else but configuring Jumper radio. Converting models to/from Jumper T12 might also not work correctly so, please avoid.

UPDATE 15.10.2018: My pull request with the mods for the button direction when changing values were merged into JumperTX fork.

JumperTX fork firmware with buttons UP = plus, DOWN = minus and acceleration
firmware-jumpertx-12102018-variant-schumixmd.zip

UPDATE 28.10.2018: Due to wrong flag while compiling the firmware the LUA page wasn't displayed.
opentx-jumpert12-lua-heli-multi.zip.zip
opentx-jumpert12-lua-noheli-multi.zip
Last edited by schumixmd; Oct 28, 2018 at 09:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2018, 02:52 PM
i haven't tried your firmware. But, thank you. The buttons make little sense in stock form.

select a value to change, press up to decrease the value, head scratcher.
Oct 09, 2018, 05:21 PM
Ersky9x Developer
Sounds about right. You may have found the existing code, but the original 9X (with stock, or SKY/AR9X replacement boards) has the same buttons (up, down, left, right MENU/ENTER and exit), just on the opposite side. So the menu operation with these buttons is already coded. This is what I used when I ported ersky9x.

Mike
Oct 09, 2018, 05:50 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Pleased to see your work here. When I started reading, I was hoping you were goint to attempt some hardware hacks to make it fully consistent with the X7 firmware. After realizing my error, I heartily applaud your efforts even though I've adapted to the buttons vs the encoder. If you can lift some code that makes the forward and back process skip through faster as you hold it longer, that would be cool.

I posted a couple very simple updates to the MPM interface in the T12 JumperTX branch, but AFAIK Jumper hasn't commented so I've held up on adding in more. Does your fork include these MPM menu and Companion edits that were made to 2.2.2 version? If not I'd be happy to work on those and the many others found in that PR if you haven't or can't pull them in directly in github, too.
Oct 10, 2018, 06:31 AM
ancora imparo
Appreciation for this contribution. I also have held off on a review as I agree the decision to use the buttons instead of the rotary encoder while cloning the X7 firmware was a really silly mistake.

Even after much use of the T12 I find myself having to stop and think which button does what! It is completely counter intuitive. The worst of both worlds - neither 6 button standard like the Taranis9 nor a logical mapping of the X7.

I will give your firmware a try and if it works intend to use it as standard.
It is a great pity the Jumper folks managed to piss the OpenTX guys off. I fear they have created a dead end for themselves.

Again, thanks for the effort.

John
Oct 10, 2018, 06:48 AM
ancora imparo
If I understand correctly, you are intending in time to update Companion 2.2.2 to work fully with the T12 and your new firmware, including the Simulator?

If so, that would be fantastic. I agree maintenance and updates are an unrealistic expectation but just having a fully working version of Companion 2.2.2 for the T12 with your modified firmware would be marvellous.

John
Oct 10, 2018, 09:30 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
If I understand correctly, you are intending in time to update Companion 2.2.2 to work fully with the T12 and your new firmware, including the Simulator?

If so, that would be fantastic. I agree maintenance and updates are an unrealistic expectation but just having a fully working version of Companion 2.2.2 for the T12 with your modified firmware would be marvellous.

John
it already works for configuring Jumper T12.
But at this moment I would say - it is not replaceble with the original version of companion. Meaning you have to have both versions installed.
I don't know why when I compile the companion and simulator I get different names for dll files than the ones in original firmware.
Oct 10, 2018, 09:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blandford View Post
Sounds about right. You may have found the existing code, but the original 9X (with stock, or SKY/AR9X replacement boards) has the same buttons (up, down, left, right MENU/ENTER and exit), just on the opposite side. So the menu operation with these buttons is already coded. This is what I used when I ported ersky9x.

Mike
Thanks Mike for chiming in.
I have to admit, I have never ever tried ersky9x, or any other version, since this is the first Tx (except the Horus x10) capble of Open source firmware. I'll have to give it a try and have some inspiration for my future projects/developement.
In my case I choosed to use Taranis XLite code for button operation for even easier integration.
Oct 10, 2018, 10:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom View Post
Pleased to see your work here. When I started reading, I was hoping you were goint to attempt some hardware hacks to make it fully consistent with the X7 firmware. After realizing my error, I heartily applaud your efforts even though I've adapted to the buttons vs the encoder. If you can lift some code that makes the forward and back process skip through faster as you hold it longer, that would be cool.

I posted a couple very simple updates to the MPM interface in the T12 JumperTX branch, but AFAIK Jumper hasn't commented so I've held up on adding in more. Does your fork include these MPM menu and Companion edits that were made to 2.2.2 version? If not I'd be happy to work on those and the many others found in that PR if you haven't or can't pull them in directly in github, too.
To be hones, I don't know what my fork includes.
I am absolutely new to Github and don't know how to properly use it other than storing files there
I'll need some more time to understand this push-n-pull things
But really, I haven't planned to work on MPM part at all, due to the fact that I've considered that everything works already
Oct 10, 2018, 11:13 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumixmd View Post
To be hones, I don't know what my fork includes.
I am absolutely new to Github and don't know how to properly use it other than storing files there
I'll need some more time to understand this push-n-pull things
But really, I haven't planned to work on MPM part at all, due to the fact that I've considered that everything works already
Heh, I can definitely relate!!!

In JumperTX 2.2.2 (also OTX) a couple of the Hubsan JP4in1 sub-protocols don't show in the OTX menu (but can be used with Custom). As new protocols have been added and the JP4in1 gets updated, more protocols and subtypes won't show unless that pull request is included (it is current through MPM 1.2.1 firmware).

The quickest way to check if they were included is to look in your 2.2.3 radio menu and see if Hubsan protocol has subtypes showing in your new version (there are none in the JumperTX version). If it does, then that Pull Request was included. Same for Companion.
Oct 12, 2018, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
Heres the fimware from JumperTX fork.
I've corrected the UP/DOWN buttons when changing values and added some primitive acceleration.

firmware-jumpertx-12102018-variant-schumixmd.zip
Oct 14, 2018, 12:38 PM
Very interesting
Oct 29, 2018, 01:37 PM
early retired & loving it
So... I started playing with the T-12. It's my first venture into Open-TX type programming. Although I have understood, not mastered, the button use, I'm very interested in using software that would be "supported". I'm reading many good improvements from schumixmd and MikeB (er9x) and although my first choice might be Open-TX, companion and Jumper that sounds more like a wish than a plan. I also have 2 older 9x's (flySky and Eurgle) that still have the original factory software. I have upgraded one to the back-light display. EEpee, Jumper 4-in-1 programming, not bricking are a few of my priorities........
I found some interesting and helpful YouTube videos on er9x, and Open-TX.
Thank you guys for your efforts.
INPUT, I NEED INPUT!!
Oct 29, 2018, 02:50 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnrusso View Post
So... I started playing with the T-12. It's my first venture into Open-TX type programming. Although I have understood, not mastered, the button use, I'm very interested in using software that would be "supported". I'm reading many good improvements from schumixmd and MikeB (er9x) and although my first choice might be Open-TX, companion and Jumper that sounds more like a wish than a plan. I also have 2 older 9x's (flySky and Eurgle) that still have the original factory software. I have upgraded one to the back-light display. EEpee, Jumper 4-in-1 programming, not bricking are a few of my priorities........
I found some interesting and helpful YouTube videos on er9x, and Open-TX.
Thank you guys for your efforts.
INPUT, I NEED INPUT!!
IIRC, OTX will be stopping upgrades for ARM radios like the 9X. So, Mike's software might be one way for all of your radios to be similar firmwares. He'd be the best source to tell you what his plans are for the ARM radios, and where the best support communities are for it.

He also has a firmware solution for the MPM updates that might be useful in terms of doing updates to the JP4in1 ... where you can possibly flash it from the radio's SD card. Not sure if you'd have to do an install of a bootloader via USB first, or not.
Oct 30, 2018, 05:02 AM
I need help..
How do I install LUA..

Quick Reply