Oct 09, 2018, 09:10 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Build Log

Ju-248/Me-263 at 1/5th scale

It's been about a month since I've built anything so time to get back in the saddle. Actually planning two planes, the A-1H and the Me-263.
The A-1H will be off Ziroli's 100" ws IC plan and I am waiting on the accessory parts to come in, so we'll get started on the 263 first.
This will be a pretty pure scratchbuild as there aren't any plans anywhere I could find. Never seen any other 263's on the net other than my old build from
many years ago. That model is still flying but has left my hangar. Scotty took it home from St. George so it now resides in the Los Angeles Chapter.
The original spanned about 48" as I remember, weighed maybe 35 oz, powered by a Mega 16/15/5 ( great little inrunner). Flies really nice.
The new model will be 1/5th scale, very light weight, retracts, and power to be determined.

The Me-263 started out as the Me-263D, changed to the Ju-248 when design and production was handed over to Junkers, and then for some reason renamed again to the Me-263 ( pretty sure Junkers wasn't too happy with that). As far as history shows, it never had a powered flight, glide tests only after being towed to height. The end of the war ended the development but examples were taken by the Allies and the Russians of course built their own variation. There is a report that powered flight with the new rocket motor was carried out by a couple of test pilots but this report has been disputed by a scientist taken to Russia. He said all the designers were scared of the new motor and it's volatile fuel. So maybe it did, and maybe it didn't.
Principle difference of the 263 vs the 163 was the extended fuselage allowing more fuel, both in the fuse and the wings. Also the rocket motor was changed to a bi-fuel HWK 509C dual chamber motor. Extra fuel gave the 263 the ability to have a "cruise" setting where it could hang around in the bomber stream longer.
The 163 and 263 shared the same wing, the Gottingen 765 reflexed airfoil. It had 7 degrees washout ( yep, I said 7 degrees!) and a 3.3 dgree wing incidence at the root and 3.7 degrees incidence at the tip.
I tried this scale airfoil in my 1/4 scale Me-263 and it worked beautifully. So it's natural to use it again, just a slightly smaller size.
The gear will require a couple of ply bulkheads so I'm thinking I will start there to establish them and then work up the fuse. The fuse will mirror my builds of the other light weight models I've done recently.
Here's a video of the 163 taken by ATIS at SEFF with our buddy Falcon5 on the sticks. The 163 had flaps but not like a conventional wing. The were on the bottom of the wing right on the CG to prevent pitch change when deployed.

SEFF 2012 JMorgan ME-163 (5 min 39 sec)

J
Latest blog entry: Me-263/Ju-248
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2018, 10:01 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Dimensions are 75" ws, fuse is 63" long.
Went through all my retracts, and for a guy who doesn't like retracts I have quite a collection not even counting those in the planes.
Have this set of RC Lander that I bought on a whim ( or weak moment) for one of their jets, I think I can modify the nose yoke to make them work.
Won't be able to quite use a scale size wheel but they should be big enough to look alright. They are a little small but should handle this light weight build.

J
Oct 09, 2018, 10:27 AM
Pro Hoarder
O goody..I like Komets!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 09, 2018, 10:31 AM
Subscribed

L.
Oct 09, 2018, 01:09 PM
EB-66C Team Member
I love Komets too.
Found the old thread that I built the smaller one in. I built it during another 163 build. The thread was buried in Foamie Kits Forum. Kits, really? That happened to several of my threads when RCG had there website meltdown years ago.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Fanfold/page13

And as always, plans change. Scrapped using the RC lander retracts in favor of the old cheap ones. More on that later.

J
Oct 09, 2018, 03:10 PM
its TALON TIME!
ooooh man! I almost forgot about the huge 163! that thing flew incredible!!!! need to make a comeback!

cant wait to see how the 263 goes
Oct 09, 2018, 03:54 PM
EB-66C Team Member
It's slow going right now. Seems like I always need to decompress or kickback a bit after a long trip. I did get the retracts/struts, wheels worked out. Not exactly scale but heck, this thing could have changed a bunch before it hit production.
Trimmed the fuse outline back to allow for the 5mm foam skin. Maybe tomorrow the building juices will be flowing better.
Pulled a pic off the old thread to show where the 3s-2500 batt was placed. I don't remember EVER having a battery back that far in a build.

J
Oct 09, 2018, 04:32 PM
Alright, I found a J Morgan build thread on day 1! You build so fast, I can never catch up once you get on a roll. I'm usually at least a few dozen pages behind
Looking forward to following along!
Oct 09, 2018, 04:49 PM
I'm in for the watch or should I say masterclass
Oct 09, 2018, 04:53 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thanks Mike,
That's because you don't have time to look since you're a full time P-38 builder.

Thanks NO153Y

Hope to make a little progress tomorrow.

J
Oct 09, 2018, 08:58 PM
They call me Lipo...
Wolf 44 Delta checking in.... !

I know, I know....I held the Currahee 95 Bravo call-sign for a ridiculous amount of time (8 years !) but now, since I retired, at least I still get an "official" call-sign....just one I have to get used to...

Along for the ride....
Oct 10, 2018, 03:03 AM
Superb. This will be epic. I have learned so much from reading some of your other build threads. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Håvard
Oct 10, 2018, 06:49 AM
EB-66C Team Member
W44D,
Welcome aboard sir!

Thanks Havard

Frankly, most of the day yesterday was spent thinking about what direction to go with things. Just received a book on the 263 ( there aren't many out there). So I read through it and studied the pics. Need to decide how and where the gear is placed, where the wing joiners will go, the best method of building the fuse and wing, etc. I think I have settled on most of it but I do know things will change as we get along on the build. Want to wait until I get a handle on weight on what motor to use but right now it looks like maybe a 40 mm on 4s will do it.
But today at least we will be cutting some foam.

J
Oct 10, 2018, 10:16 AM
EB-66C Team Member
I think I know what Prof. Hertel at Junkers was trying for on the landing gear. He needed to place it in the fuse in order to have more room in the wings for fuel so that the 263 could actually cruise awhile in the combat area. But damn, it's a really narrow stance and that should be a little fun on takeoff. Hopefully we'll be light enough that there won't be a long takeoff roll. And he did enlarge the rudder from the 163 size so that will help too.
I interpolated the CG from my initial smaller 263 to this one, just a percentage comparison, as it has always worked well in scaling my designs larger.
Found that the 3 view wheel placement put it too close to my CG so I moved the wheels back about 1.75" to allow for a 15 degree angle from the CG to the mains. Hopefully that will allow a smooth rotation.
Have the gear all tacked together, although the leg lengths may need to be changed a little later on. And probably will need to bend the axles to give a more upright stance to the wheel.
Now we need to make the first foam former at the front of the main gear so the front ply gear bulkhead can be formed.

J
Oct 10, 2018, 10:24 AM
Mike
This is going to be good! Looking forward to following your build J!

Quick Reply