Oct 09, 2018, 06:18 AM
1 can never have 2 many planes
Build Log

mini spitfire (laser cut/3d printed/thermo-formed)

Hi all,

Have been playing around with a project for a while now since i've bought myself a laser cutter.

This is the first prototype to come from it.

Based around the mk9 spitfire.

wingspan: 500mm
auw: 160g
battery: 2s 950mah lipo
motor: park250 2050kv
esc: turnigy 6amp
flight time: 15min spirited flight with 3.8v p/s remaining
4ch
scale 3d printed 4 blade prop (replaceable blades)
scale 3d printed exhaust and radiator scoops
thermo-formed canopy

build time for an average builder (me) was about 6-8 hours

im very happy with the speed envelope of this model as well as its handling and characteristics. I was surprised to find that the 4 blade prop holds up very well to the abuse of landings without gear, it was designed to be able to replace individual blades or to run 2 or 4 blades.

hoping to get a flight video up soon but here are some pics.

long term plan is start producing these and many more like it of similar size in kit form. let me know if you would have an interest in something like this and what you would be keen on.. if the mass production goes ahead, ill be providing assembly instruction via a thread on here with pics and descriptions. kits would come with pre-cut sections, 3d printed parts and a molded canopy.

build time for an average builder (me) was about 6-8 hours
Last edited by chambo88; Oct 12, 2018 at 03:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2018, 09:09 PM
Reads as a BIG battery for a little plane.
Reduce that mah by Half ? and enjoy better flying.
Oct 12, 2018, 03:02 AM
1 can never have 2 many planes
i couldnt agree more. However, short of placing lead in the spinner this was the only way to balance it out. I did start with a 300mah 2s in the nose, but that nearly ended just as soon as it left my hand. CG was really aft of the prediction. with a WS of nearly 550mm and a weight of 160g, the handling is sublime. more than 1:1 thrust and i feel after trying to fly it super light in the beginning, the extra weight feels nicer on the sticks. im not a fan of ultra-light/twitchy model, but thats just me.

Quick Reply