Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 08, 2018, 06:39 PM
Play that funky music right
Discussion

And you thought working on an RC engine was difficult...

Not RC but kind of cool. Burt, I think I spotted you there some place. haha

Crankshaft exchange on the MS Zaandam cruise ship (11 min 14 sec)

Ken
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2018, 07:10 PM
>>Not RC but kind of cool. Burt, I think I spotted you there some place. haha<<

Wow, I wonder how many days that took.
Oct 08, 2018, 07:56 PM
Club Saito | Genesis 8:11
Man, i bet that crankshaft costs more than my car!
Good thing it was designed to come out

Same goes with the WWII engines used in the ol' war planes. They were quite a bit more complicated than my Saito Thumpers

The small model 4-strokes are about as simple as they can get
Latest blog entry: UMX Touch-up
Oct 08, 2018, 08:07 PM
-insert witty saying here-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyshooter223
Man, i bet that crankshaft costs more than my car!
Good thing it was designed to come out

Same goes with the WWII engines used in the ol' war planes. They were quite a bit more complicated than my Saito Thumpers

The small model 4-strokes are about as simple as they can get
It weighs more, that's for sure. Said it was 7.5 tons, so that's almost 17000lbs US.

Working in manufacturing for twenty years, I've come to realize that heavy equipment rigging is an art form.
Latest blog entry: ECSF 2017 SWap Meet - 4/2/17...
Oct 08, 2018, 08:20 PM
Club Saito | Genesis 8:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller
It weighs more, that's for sure. Said it was 7.5 tons, so that's almost 17000lbs US.

Working in manufacturing for twenty years, I've come to realize that heavy equipment rigging is an art form.
Wow, yep! i bet that thing costs $40k easy, but that's a wild guess. I have no idea

My car, a sedan, must weigh 3,400 lbs. for reference
Latest blog entry: UMX Touch-up
Oct 08, 2018, 08:55 PM
I saw a y-tube vid of a turbine changeover at a power station . The crane was rated 10 T too small and dropped the lot . Total damage I think was 6.5 million . Someone got reamed a new one over that Im sure .
Oct 08, 2018, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyshooter223
Wow, yep! i bet that thing costs $40k easy, but that's a wild guess. I have no idea

My car, a sedan, must weigh 3,400 lbs. for reference
I am very sure the new crank cost way more than $40K US.
Oct 08, 2018, 09:53 PM
Play that funky music right
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller

They sure made some pretty tight turns getting that crank to the engine room. I have to wonder if repairs were taken into consideration then access to the engine room was designed???

Ken
Oct 08, 2018, 10:11 PM
It would be bad if:
"Hey Joe!",
"Yeah?"
"The crankshaft is in backwards."
"Awww......"
Oct 08, 2018, 10:54 PM
Master re-kitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by the pope
I saw a y-tube vid of a turbine changeover at a power station . The crane was rated 10 T too small and dropped the lot . Total damage I think was 6.5 million . Someone got reamed a new one over that Im sure .
I was doing consulting work at one of the big pharmas in NJ where they had their own power station. Same thing happened. Now you know why drugs cost so much!
Oct 08, 2018, 11:35 PM
$ 8.5 MILLION TURBINE WRECKED WHEN CRANE CABLE BREAKS (1 min 54 sec)

Best advice I ever got when working with cranes . NEVER stand under a load . If u do your asking for it .
Oct 09, 2018, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497
They sure made some pretty tight turns getting that crank to the engine room. I have to wonder if repairs were taken into consideration then access to the engine room was designed???

Ken
What very often happens is that a large portion of the vessel is cut away to provide access ... if it should become necessary to remove a major component. This is fairly conventional practise.
Oct 09, 2018, 04:46 AM
Whatever It Takes
Quote:
Originally Posted by the pope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLBE4hLpFEw
Best advice I ever got when working with cranes . NEVER stand under a load . If u do your asking for it .
Good tip. Back when I was doing heavy machine repair we did a lot of crankshaft fitting. Fitting the bearings often required installing and removing the crank three or four times in one night. We would spot the bronze bearing high spots and scrape them in. Often one of us would have to be inside the press frame, guiding the crank into place. Not a job for the claustrophobic.

Glad that is all history!
Oct 09, 2018, 08:23 AM
The great Brutifier
Quote:
Not RC but kind of cool. Burt, I think I spotted you there some place. haha

Ken
27 years ago I applied for a job at that company, but at the time market was good and another shipping company managed to reel me in...
But I have done similar jobs.

Quote:

Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogbeagle
What very often happens is that a large portion of the vessel is cut away to provide access ... if it should become necessary to remove a major component. This is fairly conventional practise.
Correct... sometimes extremely tight clearances... 5 years ago we replaced the entire engine. The removal was done in parts (not much useable stuff left of the old engine anyway) and normally, engines are dismantled, brought on board in parts and built up inside the vessel.
That time however, for reasons unknown. the insurance company insisted that we left the "mechanical parts" of the brandspanking new engine untouched.
We were allowed to remove rocker covers, flywheel, exhaust and intake tubing, bu that's it. We had literally less than 2 inches to spare, and when 8 tonnes of irregular shaped metal is suspended from a 150 foot building crane (fairly flexible things, those cranes), and you have to aim it through a hole in the side of a floating vessel (changes in waterlevel when other ships pass) that becomes quite a challenge....
The 15 foot shift from " in front of the opening" to "last part inside" was a 3 hour job, welding lifting eyes to the ceiling as we went, rigging chainblocks, constantly adjusting to distribute the load...
Oct 09, 2018, 09:37 AM
I now work in that sort of environment and my sup came from maintenance in the merchant marine world. I've seen both successes and failures so can relate. In one job worked on up to 3500T sheet metal presses and can remember removing electric motors larger than my van. At least there we had 100T cranes so no problem rigging the load. I do remember not liking crawling into the top of the mover to repair lube lines, hoses or overloads. Or especially underneath for all sorts of reasons. Have to give a lot of credit to one guy I worked with that regularly goes down to Mexico to do complete overhuals. There is NOTHING small on those.

When in aviation used to sub for a friend doing maintenance on a turbine power unit that ran a GE LM6000 on natural gas, (32 1" nozzles) for power generation and heat. It took over 8 hours with lasers and rigging just to separate the core from the gen so it go back in correctly. In one long weekend we had the entire hot end replaced and back up and running. Not much sleep.

Quick Reply