F5J Team USA - looking for artists with logo ideas

If you have some artistic ideas and talent the team would love to see what you can offer.

Splash

F5J Team USA is getting ready to compete for the first world's championship in Slovakia next year.

As you are all aware, a big part of getting ready is soliciting donations to the team fund. The first donation opportunity is now - we are running a logo contest. If you have some artistic ideas and talent the team would love to see what you can offer. If your design is selected by the team you get the satisfaction of seeing your logo on the web site (coming soon), on promotional items, and on the official apparel. Credit to the artist will be given on the web site, but the selected artwork becomes the property of the team.

Submissions must be made by October 26th, and we will announce the winner by Halloween.

Design requirements:

• Logo must include F5J Team USA
  • Digital file must be vector based (able to import into Inkscape)

Additional considerations:

• Will be used in both large scale (shirts) and small scale (web logo)
  • Should translate well into embroidery (solid colors)
  • A theme submitted with both complex and simple images would be great
  • Must be patriotic and 'family friendly'

The logo below is based on my feeble attempt at artistic design and greatly enhanced by Duane Beck. I'm attaching the .svg file as well. You are welcome to use it as a starting point.

Click Here to Download the File

This thread is privately moderated by dbeach, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 09, 2018, 09:53 AM

Here is another idea

A little time with Inkscape and here's another idea (I know - still boring).

I really like the model outline on this one. It's in the attached Inkscape zipped file on a separate layer. Feel free to incorporate it into your own design.

David
Oct 10, 2018, 07:38 PM
E Thermal Hack & Vtail Lover
Maybe the plane needs to be little more stylistic?
Oct 11, 2018, 01:08 AM
Team USA F5J
Itís a Sploder, how much more stylistic does it get
Quote:
Originally Posted by airman749
Maybe the plane needs to be little more stylistic?
Latest blog entry: My sailplanes
Oct 11, 2018, 03:19 PM
Duane, LSF IV
Any comments on this design sketch? Still need to add a plane.
Oct 11, 2018, 04:29 PM
Overkill is underrated
Why does a plane need to be part of the graphic?
Oct 11, 2018, 05:25 PM
To have fun or to Wang Chung?
Personal opinion. Any sort of shield is not a good idea. Too many connotations and too 'old school'. Probably better to use a stylised eagles head in profile with beak facing to the right ( similar to the USPS ) in red, white, and blue.

Do not use a full eagle body as the reflects too much back to Federalism.

Plane not needed but if used then place below eagle head and place at slight angle with left wing up, right wing down and nose of plane facing to the right.

Use white background overall and build images with red and blue set on top of white. Place 'USA' to the bottom and slightly to the right of center where it moderaly fills up space between nose of plane, bottom of eagle beak and right border. The 'USA' should not overpower the Eagles head or throw rest of images off balance.

Bump map all of it to get 3d effect or use 3d filter but do not over do the 3d.
Oct 12, 2018, 08:13 AM
Here's another concept - not sure I like the fill, but the style is a bit more modern.
Oct 12, 2018, 08:38 AM

Same graphic - different fill and stroke

Is this better?
Last edited by dbeach; Oct 12, 2018 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Added slant
Oct 12, 2018, 09:06 AM
Red Merle ALES VII SJ
Me, unlike my Mom, am not an artist but I would say the logo must have the colors of old glory since you guys are representing our great nation on a world stage. This is the olympics of our hobby.
It’s more about the USA than being about F5J...like the Team USA F3J logo on the top left side: https://www.teamusaf3j.com
You can see the country is larger than the event class.
Just my .02 cents worth.

Curtis
Oct 12, 2018, 09:54 AM
E Thermal Hack & Vtail Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Garber
Itís a Sploder, how much more stylistic does it get
It COULD be MUCH more stylistic
Oct 12, 2018, 10:27 AM
Team USA F5J
Agreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Suter
Me, unlike my Mom, am not an artist but I would say the logo must have the colors of old glory since you guys are representing our great nation on a world stage. This is the olympics of our hobby.
Itís more about the USA than being about F5J...like the Team USA F3J logo on the top left side: https://www.teamusaf3j.com
Just my .02 cents worth.

Curtis
Latest blog entry: My sailplanes
Oct 12, 2018, 12:08 PM
To have fun or to Wang Chung?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Suter
Itís more about the USA than being about F5J...like the Team USA F3J logo on the top left side: https://www.teamusaf3j.com
Just my .02 cents worth.

Curtis
Entirely disagree. This is not about the U.S. but is about F5J and the skills of those involved. This is nothing like the Olympics. Leave the flag out but use 'U.S.A.' on the logo somewhere. Rest assured that outside of this very, very time RC sailplane group, no one cares one whit about F5J. Promote the discipline (F5J) and leave the country out of it.

F5J is what should be promoted here and not any country.
Oct 12, 2018, 01:29 PM
Red Merle ALES VII SJ
So I wonder that when the three USA team members are standing on the podium with the numbers 1, 2 and 3 below them will they play the USA’s national anthem three times?
Oct 12, 2018, 02:29 PM
RV7guy

The original one

Hi Dave,

I like the one you already have. Now frame it with all of the Team members and call it done!! You've got the flag, the F5J, a plane!!!

Darwin

Quick Reply