Oct 06, 2018, 12:54 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Molded DLG Fuses,Tails, and Wings

When I first started throwing DLGs, I had a tough time finding inexpensive fuses and tails. Lately, Ive been playing around with a fuse mold and tail molds. This has given me a chance to mess with the process, layup, colors, and technique. I found there is a lot more than I expected to mold a fuse and a set of tails.

These are the Super Fr3ak horizontal and Z4D vertical. Carbon spars and Kevlar hinges. XPS foam core. So, you will have to use foam safe CA or epoxy only. I find the building and crafting process extremely relaxing and therapeutic. I have really been enjoying it. For me its all about the building, experimenting, improving and refining the process. It has been gratifying as well as frustrating to work at times. My favorite part is getting to open the mold in the morning. Feels like Xmas!

Many thanks to Gerald and Tom for their designs and developmental techniques.
Special thanks to Craig Robinson for insight and advise with my pylon and peg molds.

I have attached some pictures of my progress. Here is a place for some of you guys who have asked me for a thread to post your pics, experiences and comments.

Thanks for the support!

Brian
Last edited by Bchirrick; Jun 05, 2019 at 10:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2018, 12:54 AM
Thread OP

DLG fuse

Fuse dimensions
Roughly 25mm x 35 mm in the pod
40 1/4" long
7 1/4" saddle
Will accommodate AG series and Zone V2 wings
Or, set a new saddle with your wing
Last edited by Bchirrick; Feb 16, 2019 at 03:08 PM.
Oct 06, 2018, 12:55 AM
Thread OP

Tails

They're big!
Horizontal is the Super Fr3ak
Vertical is Z4D
XPS foam core. Foam safe CA or epoxy only

Hinging the flying surfaces. A bunch of ways to do it. This is how i do it. Slow and steady wins the race.

Going to start installing hard points in the layup of the horizontal, but if you need to install hard points, this is how i have been doing it.
Last edited by Bchirrick; Dec 30, 2018 at 11:20 PM.
Oct 06, 2018, 01:06 AM
Thread OP

Pylon

Pylon mold was 3d printed. Took a long time to get it to where it is now. I really leaned allot with this one. Thx Craig!

Trim it to your liking, then install with CA.
Last edited by Bchirrick; Oct 06, 2018 at 02:31 PM.
Oct 06, 2018, 01:18 AM
Thread OP

Wings

Wings...

Finally got a good pull on my second attempt.

2/12/19:
Took #2 set out today. Looking good. Weighed them for giggles. 65g a piece. Not bad for a second set. Missed a couple spots laying down the leading edge. The uni and textreme just didn't reach. The trailing edge was a pain to cut. Have to get the hang of cutting them. The hinge line looks awesome. Overall I'm happy with my first real pull.
Last edited by Bchirrick; Feb 12, 2019 at 05:51 PM.
Oct 06, 2018, 01:50 AM
Rick Rogahn
Pretty cool . 3D printed stab pylon?
Oct 06, 2018, 02:11 AM
Thread OP
Thanks
3d printed mold. Pylon is all carbon
Latest blog entry: Builders kit assembly
Oct 06, 2018, 07:52 AM
IHeartDLG
I’ve gotten some of his “practice” parts, and they are quite nice. Once we get into our new house, I am going to have time and space to mount them up and fly them some. I also will be looking for a fuse and tails for a Zone wing that needs to fly again, after the first of the year, and hopefully in pink. �� Keep up the good work.
Oct 06, 2018, 09:14 AM
Its nice to see your progress. I was pleased with the early tails you produced. It looks like you are on your way to a complete kit.
Oct 06, 2018, 09:50 PM
Come out swinging
At this point, just make a wing and youll have a kit. Go with high aspect, XXLite or BAMF style, molded. Each kit would easily sell for $500 or more.

What do the tails and fuse weigh?

Sean
Oct 06, 2018, 10:25 PM
Thread OP

Fuse and tails

I'm getting there. I'm really enjoying the challenge. It had been a real challenge to one, get a nice finish, then, get the weight down. I'm getting pretty consistent weights for the horizontal around 6.5g and just over 7g for the vertical. I've come to some conclusions:
1. The planforms for both are pretty large
2. The foam is heavy, not sure how much lighter rohacell would be, but planning on trying.
Not much i can do but try some smaller molds, which I'm planning to do.
The fuses are really consistent, coming in just over 30g, and really strong.
Last edited by Bchirrick; Oct 06, 2018 at 10:34 PM.
Oct 07, 2018, 12:57 AM
Very interesting. Thank you so far.

Did you like to share some pictures of the molds, the story from scratch to CAD to CAM to mold and some pictures of your laying up process.

What is the area of your horizontal and your vertical? I just finished mine in the CAD. Would be interesting to compare.

As there are a only some people left who build there own models and the others all buying kits these, for sure, would motivate some people in building again

Thank you,

Andre
Oct 07, 2018, 07:46 AM
Looks ery quality, well done...
just curious, how much does a fuse weigh?
Oct 08, 2018, 12:44 AM
Thread OP

Fuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by eitanro
Looks ery quality, well done...
just curious, how much does a fuse weigh?
I'm getting in the low to mid 30's for the fuses. Depending on which material i use in the boom.
Latest blog entry: Builders kit assembly
Oct 08, 2018, 12:53 AM
Looking good, man. Keep iterating and you're weights will come down. I've noticed my tail weights vary a lot with shop temperature. Too cold and I can't soak enough resin out of the fabric due to the higher viscosity, and I've seen as much as 0.5g just from that. What foam are you using?

Quick Reply