This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 05, 2018, 06:37 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Lots of projects moving along nicely

In the last couple of months, I've done pretty well regarding the acquisition of castoff models.

In my last blog, I mentioned how I had received a couple of small foam P-51 Mustangs from Jimmy Dixon, a fun user here on RCG who goes by the handle "jdixon."

Of the two, one is flying again and the other is undergoing a major refinishing job. The latter is the one which will be representing Bunny, the Tuskegee Airmen tribute at the Palm Springs Air Museum. A link to that flying exhibit is in my previous blog entry.

A friend of mine who, sadly, is in poor health, gave me some models of his own design. He used to design and manufacture kits. A beautiful little one-off model wound up crashing due to a failed servo arm, but it's repairable. I haven't heard back from him regarding a visit so that we can fix it and I hope and pray he's ok. It'll be a real privilege to learn some wood modeling skills with the help of a master. The other models are gliders, both powered and unpowered. My goal is to get the big 2m unpowered bird ready for the big glider tow event my club holds every December. The powered models are total "old school" with brushed motors and old 72MHz receivers.

Finally, please see two of the three models I scored at the club when one of our seasonal visitors announced that he was giving away some old models. Two are shown below, cleaned up and ready. The E-flite Mini Ultra Stick is back in flying condition, but it'll need a prop before I take it up again. The pitch was way too steep. That said, it was screaming fast with the battery protection circuit in the ESC bumping the revs.

That E-flite Adagio 280 glider is next to go up; a binding plug is on its way. Since the model is discontinued, I had to go through a seller on Amazon. I did some bodywork and I had some custom matched red paint from another model which was a nearly perfect match! The canopy was warped and I straightened it out as best I can. I found a replacement at an online hobby shop since that part as well is discontinued. If it flies, I'll finish making it look pretty! The missing landing gear wheel was replaced by an extra wheel from a Hacker Model Production kit I'd reviewed here and is secured with a cut down 1.5mm bolt and nuts. Perfect fit, better than stock and all for a cost of zilch.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply