Thread Tools
Dec 27, 2004, 02:15 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP

Got Sombra?


Sombra Shadow-1 6 channel Rx

This little receiver is terrific! 6 channels, programmable frequency, DSP, dual conversion, terrific range. All for only 8 grams. I can't wait for the 4 channel version to come out.

To program the channel you set the freq using the dials, plug it into the receiver connector, press the end button, voila! It's programmed. The 5th and 6th outputs can be programmed for channels 5, 6 or 7. Pretty cool.

http://www.dionysusdesign.com/Shadow1.shtml
Last edited by thunder1; Dec 27, 2004 at 02:17 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2004, 10:06 AM
Registered User
I have one too, getting another shortly. Agree, it seems to work very well. I have some apps that require certain behavior when TX signal is lost: basically, I require servos to remain where they are, no chatter, no default position, no "last frame hold", nothing, just don't move the servos. The Shadow does that perfectly, some others with DSP do not. For some models, killing the throttle, say, is certain model death, and I'd rather have that done separately by my throttle controller if I decide I want it, don't want the RX to do it by default, just be a RX and nothing else.

I am curious why Sombra would even bother with a 4 channel unit. Unless the servo connector is maybe rearranged on that unit to horizontal. I don't see how the RX could be that much smaller, though maybe a tad lighter, as pretty much the same main guts are needed for 4-8 channels. 6 servo connectors are handy: don't need any Y-connectors with my apps, even though they are only 4 channels I have 5 or 6 connections to the RX...you'd lose most of the weight advantage with even one Y-connector. Oh well, guess it depends on your model.
Dec 27, 2004, 05:12 PM
Registered User
sombra's Avatar
The 4ch. version (Shadow-2) is 4gms only, i.e. half the weight of 6-ch. Shadow-1 version. There are no performance compromises though

======
Sombra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigF
I have one too, getting another shortly. Agree, it seems to work very well. I have some apps that require certain behavior when TX signal is lost: basically, I require servos to remain where they are, no chatter, no default position, no "last frame hold", nothing, just don't move the servos. The Shadow does that perfectly, some others with DSP do not. For some models, killing the throttle, say, is certain model death, and I'd rather have that done separately by my throttle controller if I decide I want it, don't want the RX to do it by default, just be a RX and nothing else.

I am curious why Sombra would even bother with a 4 channel unit. Unless the servo connector is maybe rearranged on that unit to horizontal. I don't see how the RX could be that much smaller, though maybe a tad lighter, as pretty much the same main guts are needed for 4-8 channels. 6 servo connectors are handy: don't need any Y-connectors with my apps, even though they are only 4 channels I have 5 or 6 connections to the RX...you'd lose most of the weight advantage with even one Y-connector. Oh well, guess it depends on your model.
Dec 27, 2004, 06:16 PM
Holger Rusch
Prof. Dr. YoMan's Avatar
Remember to build a 8 channel sombra-1+ or whatever for full-house planes.
And dont miss the 35/40MHz variants ASAP. (I will test!)
Last edited by Prof. Dr. YoMan; Dec 27, 2004 at 06:31 PM.
Dec 27, 2004, 07:44 PM
Stress Be Gone
GBR2's Avatar
I got one on the 24th. Haven't gotten it in the air yet but all the testing I've done with it so far on the ground seems to work well. The channel changing is easy. I'd like to see an 8 channel unit, plus an extension cord, so that the programmer can be plugged in from outside the plane without having to take it apart. I believe the cable is coming. Sooner is better.
Dec 27, 2004, 07:49 PM
Registered User
Sombra: Guess I assumed the -2 would use all the same chips etc., just have 2 less outputs. Any pics of it? Like Prof. Dr. YoMan, I like to have lots of RX channels for flexibility with my TX, and RX size/weight is of no concern for my models (within reason, I have to add weight anyway to get a good balance). Maybe I'm in a minority that way... So far though, 6 channels suits everything I have.
Dec 27, 2004, 08:20 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Hopefully it will be lighter on the wallet as well;-)
Dec 27, 2004, 09:17 PM
Registered User
sombra's Avatar
Here are some pictures of the Sombra Labs. 4gm (this is the weignt with antenna + enclosure), 4ch. Shadow-2 Rx. Its full range, DSP, synthesized for 50, 72, 75Mhz bands, etc.

The pictures are of one of our pre-production/samples unit. I've been using one of these units for the last few months with excellent results

We've not finalized the pricing strategy for Shadow-2 yet....

We've promised our European friends for a Shadow-1 Euro version availability early next year, therefore, Shadow-2 will be on hold for a little while

======
Sombra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigF
Sombra: Guess I assumed the -2 would use all the same chips etc., just have 2 less outputs. Any pics of it? Like Prof. Dr. YoMan, I like to have lots of RX channels for flexibility with my TX, and RX size/weight is of no concern for my models (within reason, I have to add weight anyway to get a good balance). Maybe I'm in a minority that way... So far though, 6 channels suits everything I have.
Last edited by sombra; Dec 27, 2004 at 10:20 PM.
Dec 27, 2004, 11:23 PM
Registered User
ebill3's Avatar
This is great news. Small, light 50 Mhz receivers at a decent price are hard to find.
Bill
Dec 28, 2004, 12:40 PM
Registered User
Great, really great.

This is what I've been dreaming of for a long time, but I would need a 35MHz version
Dec 29, 2004, 05:50 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Schweet 4ch!

I've done a little comparison testing between the Shadow-1 and my Hitec and Berg Rxs. I must say I like the way the Shadow-1 behaves the best. It seems to recover from glitches really fast and doesn't have the anoying servo twitch that Bergs have when powering up. Totally blows the Hitec Rx away in terms of size...
Dec 30, 2004, 05:45 PM
2 Mistakes Downwind
ToyBoy's Avatar
Sombra,

Apologies if this has been asked in another thread: are you offering your Shadow receivers without the programming module, for those that already have one, for a few dollars less?
Dec 30, 2004, 07:24 PM
Registered User
sombra's Avatar
Right now we offer the Rx + programmer as a combo package. We figured most people will want both units during the early introduction of the product.

Some time early next year we'll definitely offer the two separately.

=====
Sombra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBoy
Sombra,

Apologies if this has been asked in another thread: are you offering your Shadow receivers without the programming module, for those that already have one, for a few dollars less?
Dec 31, 2004, 06:54 AM
Registered User
KAMarks's Avatar
Bishop Power Products is now offering for $69.95 with free shipping till 1-2-05.
http://www.b-p-p.com/products.htm
Ken
Jan 01, 2005, 07:39 PM
Registered User
Geoff_S's Avatar
Sombra, any plans for a 36MHz version ?

I know there are plenty of Australians who'd love a receiver with the size/performance of the Berg/Schulze Alphas combined with the synth feature


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools