Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 05, 2018, 08:44 AM
Build Log

new PC6 turbo porter 1.5m (3d printed mix)

Hi guys,

more than 2 years flying my mini version of the Pilatus Porter, including 2 vesions (last one 1.1m ws) and floats , I started to use some 3d printed pieces on it trying to improve its look and endurance.
Then I started to thing in a bigger Porter and the results comply all my expectations:
-weight similar to a conventional same size foam plane 1300grs (far from 2500gr of the full 3d printed version)
-simple and and resistant landing gear system, resist lot of abuse on landing,
-lot of free internal space for future inventions (more info soon)
-easy to adjust or replace motor
-more accurate profile wing divided in two pieces,
-better and resistant union between stabilizer and fuselage simpler (weak point on the previos version
-eaiser to replace rudder fin

PC-6 Turbo Porter RC (4 min 30 sec)

the fuselage is divided in folded 3 pieces using Ed O'Beirne technic (experimental air) : tail, center and nose. thanks to that is easier to replace any of them.

Tail part is really resistant and only has 3d printed pieces to resolve stabilaizer and rudder joint.
Center piece work like a skin for a 3d printed cage that is really tought (maybe over-structured).
Nose has a floppy 3d printed mesh (planar profile 0.8mm) but convinned to foam make it enought resistant to keep the motor in place and survive hard landings. At the other side crash are absorved by this segment, that is the easier to make by far.

3d printed part are:
-One piece Motor mount with the particular nose of the porter
-Flaps and ailerons
-a couple of pieces for a joint-hinges on the landing gear
-two pieces for wing tensors
-wing ribs
-wind shield
-nose upper piece

I know this threat is for foamy scratchbuild, but it doesn't classify as 3d printed plane neither. Is more foamy by far and it's posible to make entirely of foam making some modification on the critical point , like tail union, motor mount, landing gear and tensors.

I'm actually depurate 3d printed pieces of the cage to lose Weight, and remember , the cage is because of my decision to open wide doors on the fuss. don't do this and the cage could be reduced to the landing gear seccion and wing union.

I publishing my actual foam plans and soon I will upload the STL files of the 3d printed parts with some instruction.
If anybody want to start a full foam version i could be help publishing more info or cad files..

Regards

Description:
Pilatus Turbo Porter
WS 150cm or 59''
AUW 1300grs
motor Dualsky 2814, 350w, 1100kv
ESC 45A
Battery 2200-3000mah
Servos 4 Corona MG 12.5 grs (2x aileron, Rudder, Elev) , 2 Power HD 6grs (flaps)
Wheels 3'' sponge
Last edited by rajazo; Oct 12, 2018 at 11:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2018, 09:10 AM

Landing Gear

More info soon
Oct 09, 2018, 05:50 AM
Went to mow a meadow
What a great way to use a 3d printer!

Any more progress? Looking forward to the maiden
Oct 09, 2018, 07:29 PM
It is flying from 2 month ago.
Fly on rails
I will post a video soon.
Oct 10, 2018, 02:48 PM
Retired CAD guy
I have been waiting for someone to do a 3dp and Foam Combo plane !

IT needed to be done !

Will you be posting the 3dp parts somewhere ?

I can do the Foam parts on my CNC and the 3dP parts on my Folgertech Ft-5 !
Oct 10, 2018, 05:40 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajazo
It is flying from 2 month ago.
Fly on rails
I will post a video soon.
I'm really looking forward to that!
Oct 10, 2018, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
I have been waiting for someone to do a 3dp and Foam Combo plane !

IT needed to be done !

Will you be posting the 3dp parts somewhere ?

I can do the Foam parts on my CNC and the 3dP parts on my Folgertech Ft-5 !

Yeah is a great combo mix both materials.
Sure I can post all the pieces but I donít know if it has sense to post in thingverse because the set of pieces are nothing without foam. Do you know if is possible post .stl here?
Anyway I have to update the union between wings and fuselage.. actually works but I did some modifications with the dremel...
Thanks for your support
Oct 11, 2018, 06:01 AM
Retired CAD guy
Of course you can post STL's on Thingiverse.

I have not done a full project upload yet.
I've only done a remix on the Airboat.

Try a simple download or to to get the feel of how they organize things.
Theres is usually a Dir with Pix and another with stl files or similar related files

They are always ZIPed up with explanation txt files and attribution files in the root dir.

Take your time, no hurry ;>}
Oct 11, 2018, 10:42 AM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajazo
Yeah is a great combo mix both materials.
Sure I can post all the pieces but I donít know if it has sense to post in thingverse because the set of pieces are nothing without foam. Do you know if is possible post .stl here?
Anyway I have to update the union between wings and fuselage.. actually works but I did some modifications with the dremel...
Thanks for your support
You can post .stl files here. If they do not upload in their raw state, you can just change the .stl file type to .txt and tell people to change it back when getting ready to print. Or you can ZIP compress them and post the ZIP file.

Tom
Oct 11, 2018, 01:05 PM
Retired CAD guy
Although that is a possibility,
it is just common courtesy to ZIP or Shrink large files to save bandwidth and disc space.

All of which does seem a bit ridiculous considering that some people are watching
videos on their Phones and subscribed to NETflix on their Pads.
And uSD cards ar $5 for 32 GBytes !

The Internet is just NOT what it used to be !

I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not.
Oct 11, 2018, 01:38 PM
Nice project! Any video?
I like the 3d printed ribs. I'd love to try it if you could share STLs.

BTW, thought you might enjoy this video:

PREMIERS VOLS PC6 GEANT ECOTOP / MAIDEN FLIGHTS ECOTOP GIANT PILATUS TURBO PORTER (15 min 14 sec)

Quick Reply