Dec 11, 2018, 06:27 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Motor install and wing work

Further corruption of Fred Reeses HOB FW-190A3 Picture/Plan. More retract braces added, inboard ribs attached, wingtip gussets, engine bay glued and then cut for engine maintenance, engine installed temporarily, conduit for wiring added and wheel wells roughed in. I think Fred would like it.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2018, 01:15 PM
Pro Hoarder
Nice...looking pretty good..Guess you will have to drink the beer from the bottle now..Lol
Latest blog entry: In flight
Dec 12, 2018, 05:36 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Hey turbo, from a store out here called Dollar Tree. I searched far and wide and then found a pack for a dollar. Very light as well as economical. They are in my electric D9 or whatever designation that plane is. Seem to be holding up well.
Dec 16, 2018, 10:44 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Weigh day!

Finally along enough to get an estimate of final weight. Looks like the weight to beat here is 20 oz. With 6 channels and a budget of cheap, if I can get my flaps and ailerons to lay flat without warping I think it stands a chance of flying! I'm running out of 1/2A trailing edge stock in the scrap box. Only have enough for the wing attachment area. Local balsa supply is for mini railroads displays and doesn't understand trailing edge stock.....

Thought about this now from the beginning with the worry of small built up structure warping but thought I would give it a shot. Enough wood and junk is on the scale to finish perhaps; so I have a target weight to try and beat. I can always order some if I have to. Starting to consider a BF109 for my next small project. Just don't care for the landing gear characteristics. Have a 65" Mustang that needs to be finished after this one. One at a time right now.
Dec 16, 2018, 10:52 PM
Nitro User
If you can keep it to 23oz covered should fly with gusto~
Dec 16, 2018, 11:51 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Hey amp! Overhead view of the scale, lots of stuff to slim down on that scale still. I'd be satisfied at 23 oz. Think my last one was around 28/30 oz. Little tank plane. It rests shredded through a tree at speed. It survived many cartwheels across the grass when I used to belly land it. This one is a bit fragile I feel.

I'm gonna shoot for 20 though as a challenge. Use spit instead of glue and a bit a polish for covering!!!!! Hah, ha, ha,
Dec 27, 2018, 11:53 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Reweigh

Another estimation weighment to see where I'm at and what I can still use for controls. Currently at 19.6 oz. One cell will be removed from that battery pack if I use it. Wing tipblocks will be less than half this weight when finished. C'mon 20 ozs! Do not see how to fashion split flaps at this scale.
Dec 27, 2018, 03:16 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Had HoB's '109 back in '76 or so. As I remember, it grossed near 24 oz. ready to go. Had an EMS 2-channel kit receiver, two ACE R/C micro servos, their 100-mah ni-cds. A new but well-broken-in Cox TD .049 having three head gaskets, with a Kustom Kraftsmanship fine-thread needle valve and his pressure tap mod on the rear cover, Cox 6-3 grey nylon prop and Fox Missile Mist fuel, which was 25% nitromethane. A good (not frantic) hand launch usually got a 6-7 minute flight and a glide to a belly landing, since it had no gear. During powered flight, you could yank-n-bank all you wanted, inverted, whatever and that KK pressurized fuel system never hiccuped once. By the way, there was no rudder and no need, as I flew it. No special starting requirements at all...just start it like any other TeeDee.

My favorite flying was to goof around for about 5 minutes or so, then climb as high as I could see it, stooge around until the fuel ran out, then do a power-off Bob Hoover routine on the way down, looping, rolling and so on until I ran out of altitude. Great fun. I did find one problem, though...that German splinter camo scheme really works. Was very difficult to see it when banked away from me, showing the duck egg blue bottom surfaces, at any real distance away.
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Dec 27, 2018, 05:33 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Hey Balsa! How you been ? Haven't seen your moniker for awhile! These small planes are a kick aren't they? So many can go in the back of the truck.

I have a small 190D that disappears against the hillside if I'm not careful. The camo is really effective on it. Guess I'm stuck on camo looking stuff right now. This build here will have some kinda camo job as well.
Jan 01, 2019, 11:06 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Closing up the main wing

My built up ailerons and flaps should be adequate. Wanted to use a single aileron servo actuated by thin cable but I have small servo's to use. Soooo.... Made up another harness for dual aileron servo's. Flaps will be center actuated by one servo. Just for fun. Not expecting them to be very scale or useful in this scale. Split scale flaps would've been a hoot. Might be able to use hard plastic sheet for the lower portion of split flaps. Fuel proof plastic sheeting might work if anyone is interested in that kind of thing.

Wing is joined and sealing it up. Full sheeting could be done this manner staying under 20 oz. A lighter build can always be done. Some carbon fiber rods and strips would have been really interesting for me. I'm still shooting for 20 oz. here. Hope my receiver can handle the load with the electric retracts. Were gonna find out! Guess bomb drop is out? Or is it?

Kinda been shying away from a final sand and shape on the fuselage as it has gotten chilly here. I like to do the final outside in sunlight where I can see the best. It's coming though. Cold or not. Look close at the left wing tip in the forth picture. Always trying to maintain the washout.
Jan 02, 2019, 04:46 AM
Nitro User
The Norvel .074 / APC 6x4 can still fly it. Hope you get some vid of the maiden flight, congratulations on your efforts so far.
Also if willing vid the bench test so I can see how much static power the engine is making. You can get some extra lights in the assembly
room if winter is not allowing any sunny days. Sometimes I will use reading specs for detail work give me a bit more binocular zoom on the work.

Jan 02, 2019, 12:05 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Hey Amp! Happy New Year! Really need to get up to speed on posting video. I think you guys would get a great laugh and smile watching some of my flying adventures. Kids are always on me about youtube.

My eyes did the typical male 38 to 45 years old fail thing. I was in complete denial at first (around 40) with the "your arms aren't long enough" jokes, trying to get focus. I use +125 to fly, watch TV, and sometimes driving. At night especially. Probably should not drive at night anymore. General small stuff +275. Building and repairing broken kids, family, and friends stuff: +325. Really lucky my vision went into a positive correction as Dollar type stores always have cheap usable glasses for me and I break and loose them quite frequently. I still walk around and do stuff without any glasses but it's become a bit blurry! Computer monitor is a 46" TV.

I don't mind crashing my planes cause I can't see it happening! Hah! ha! hah ha ! Hope that made ya laugh! The family has me moving around to their different homes to help out as I'am retarded..... or wait, it was supposed to be retired? Anyway, my well lit building area was turned into Christmas town by Grandma's request and I just try to do what she says anymore.....
She has become a fierce warrior as she got older and I am trying to behave!

Amp, give me some feedback if ya can; I used to love the speed portion of this hobby, however, now I prefer kinda just flying around so to speak... I know that sounds vague. I can't find a scale spinner the right size in glow. As a matter of fact, I dont see the selection at all we used to enjoy years back for scale builds. I 'am thinking about running this. It will be dangerous though and it's a little too big made for electric. For general flying; how about an APC 7 X 3 from their website? I noticed some plastic Easter egg halves the kids get look close to the FW190/Zero spinner shapes. What do you think about the 7 X 3 with an Easter egg spinner. Might be dangerous too. Years ago I came into a handful of APC 7 X 4 props and have been using them on my .074. They work, they just don't rev up. The 7" does get beyond the cowl and the length looks more scale. It's strange how I drift in some spots to scale and totally sacrifice scale in other spots due to this, that and the other thing. Having fun with it though!

Quick Reply