Oct 31, 2018, 11:59 AM
Care with the retracts.
Back in '76 ? I built a p51 HOB with micro robart retracts (Lighter than yours) It turned out as a heavy plane at ~26 ounces.
My td 051 proved barely adequate to needs.. truth be told
Soon enough ripped out the retracts landing hot ..on a less than perfect surface.

Real FW 190 series planes featured a fuselage thick rudder.
A signature element.
Possible room for a concealed rudder linkage in there.
. Unfortunately HOB didn't bother to include the scale rudder assly.. just a silly piece of 1/8 sheet.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2018, 04:00 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Hey Bare, my FW-190 D9 has micro Robart mechanicals. They work fine but were a pain to install. Around 30 oz. 35" W.S. 5 Channel. Fly's great, comes in hot without a headwind. Not sure how you would conceal rudder linkage this small. This build I will be using .100 balsa rudder from the scrap box. Horizontal stab is around .090 with the elevators .095. Verticle stab a bastard .086, all from the scrap box. They will change dimension a bit when sanded. All a bit thinner of course.

I promise I can rip these retracts out with the best of em Bare! Hah, ha, hah! (old style laughing)
Nov 05, 2018, 04:04 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Top Fuselage Fabricating (Scratchy)

Alright, so I am fabricating the top fuse structure and not going to touch my intact emergency build HOB FW-190 that I 'am now properly hoarding a s you guys have taught me!

Added some formers and started planking with strips that were in the scrap box. Not sure where I'm going with the tail yet, but installed a crutch to sand against. And possibly rip out the tail when its time to remove.....

Have been using the Elmers wood glue to plank with. Ahhh!!!! Regrets!!!... Ambroid or Sig-Ment is probably best for this. Wish I wasn't so cheap. Stay away from CA when planking. Impossible to sand the joints smooth. However...... Elmers has surprised me .....
Nov 05, 2018, 04:18 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Gave up on planking...

I even made some of my own strips! This is the issue; I should have ordered Sig-Ment. It sands at the same rate as balsa. I've gotten away with the Elmers so far because I have been sheeting and using it inside structure. But the planking has a lot of outside joints. So I sheeted the rest , ladled on the filler and started sanding. Cripes all mighty, there is no plane left!!!
Nov 05, 2018, 04:54 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Feels like a foamie

I can't believe how cheap I've become. Asking for Sig-ment for Christmas. The Elmers has proven tougher than me to sand on the planking. Sanded most of the filler off and part of the plane. Notice the weight: 104.7 grams. Its like a foamie and I usually try to build a bit stronger to compensate for my lack of reflexes and eyesight nowadays. I can feel the planking joints and don't dare sand anymore......

My GIANT SCALE ParkZone canopy is on for further engineering and thoughtin n a figerin! Black stripe tape is about where I can envision a more scale like appearance. Unless one of you can suggest a closer canopy, going to use this in some form or fashion. Not done yet..... Hmmmm.....

Need help with
1. spinner- 1 1/2"/ 38mm
2. canopy- smaller
3. micro retracts- smaller than HK5094
Last edited by J40; Nov 06, 2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Nov 05, 2018, 05:50 PM
Pro Hoarder
Looks like its getting there...
Latest blog entry: In flight
Nov 06, 2018, 12:42 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Card stock accessories and hardware research

Hey turbo, we have rain here again so I've been at it.

Want to wait till its sunny out where I can see better before I do any more sanding. After researching main gear retracts I can find a height of 21mm by several different manufacturers and nothing shorter to fit in the wing depth. At one time it appears Change Sun had a Version 2 unit with a height of 15mm. Can't find a seller though with stock. If I can't fit the HK 21mm units in will have to use Robarts micro and a metal gear servo. So thats the plan for that.

Card stock print provided by HOB has the instrument panel and cover I'll be using. I think it was a great touch back then from HOB.
Nov 15, 2018, 06:08 PM
Pro Hoarder
Hows the 190 coming along?
Latest blog entry: In flight
Nov 16, 2018, 07:00 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Hey turbo! Snowcopolips of 2018 has stalled the build a bit while I shovel it away...... we had a big storm! Painted inside the cockpit and doin more thoughtin n a figerin.... it will crash! Be patient... hah, ha, hah !
Seriously, I stalled out a bit while contemplating extension of the tail to a more scale length. Decided to stay with what I have now though. Now I'm stalled out thinking about glassing the fuselage but probably won't. New method I saw on here I haven't used before. Probably won't on this one. I'll see if I can find it. Pretty interesting method.
Nov 16, 2018, 08:34 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Found it. One of our members here, ckimmey uses "Minwax Polycrylic gloss to impregnate the glass cloth instead of using polyester resin".

Seems very viable. He does great miniature WWII fighters with it. 1/2A size stuff!

I chopped up my canopy a bit to fit this scale. It will work I think. Hoarding the factory canopy still.

Turbo, you have made some nice WWII acquisitions from the classified lately. Curious about that 109 U.S. company kit. Have you built their kits before?
Nov 16, 2018, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J40
I chopped up my canopy a bit to fit this scale. It will work I think. Hoarding the factory canopy still.
Pour Plaster of Paris into your hoarded canopy .. thereby making a Vacu form plug against future need.
Nov 16, 2018, 11:12 AM
Balsadustus Producerus
I covered one of those little foam wannabe pattern airplanes with 3/4 ounce glass and Polycrylic. Worked well, but when I tried a sample on a piece of Depron, it warped while drying on one side. Solution was, cover and paint both upper and lower surfaces at the same time, on, say, the left half, then the right half after the first one dried. I overlapped the glass about 1/2" or so in the middle, and was happy. That way, when everything dried, it dried evenly. Seemed to help.
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Nov 18, 2018, 09:09 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Mock up

Hey Bare, I might at some point for another 190. Suppose a crutch would have to be used to prevent the sides from bulging out. See what you think of the cut down Parkzone canopy.

Hey Balsa, I was going to do the fuse only because I feel like I've over sanded it. Compared to resin it looks really easy? Less messy? Still strong as resin?
Nov 18, 2018, 10:47 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
I thought it was less messy than the West Systems epoxy resin I've also used, didn't need mixing and stuck pretty good. Don't know about strength, I would assume less strong than resin, it might be less weight as well, but that could easily depend on how you apply the resin; more importantly, how much you take off. My experience, most resins don't like being piled on, allowing them to pool, and may crack later under load. Just enough resin to soak the glass, and no more. Correctly done, the glass weave will be quite visible, wetted-out (filled), but not glossy or shiny. At least, full-size airplanes such as the Cirrus or Lancair do it that way.

Seems to be durable enough for my flying, landing on a dirt runway, although I did apply a strip of leading edge tape on the fuselage bottom, left over from a full-size airplane project. It's a belly flopper, as I didn't install the gear for weight and drag reasons. By the way, I finally remembered--it's a GWS Formosa, the first version.
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Nov 19, 2018, 09:10 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Thanks for the input men! Wanted to go flying today with the kids but there is still too much snow for my 190D. Melting fast though.

Quick Reply