Mar 06, 2019, 10:50 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Strut flats filed and gear reinstalled.

Struts are locked into HK5094 retracts after filing flats on both sides. The units are shipped with plastic trunnions that have to be tapped for set screws to work properly. I tapped mine for 4-40 set srews. Self tappers without flats are asking for trouble and twisted gear.

I have some paint repair to do. I can't fault the paint really. I clear coated with poor lighting and no patience.... Globbed it on all at once in the dark basement.... hah, ha, hah, ha..... I just want to fly it!
Actually, after the last two builds I 'm ready to do something with already cut parts. Making these last two planes piece by piece by hand ate up all my exacto blades. Had to pick up some more today. My Mustang should be finished next but I wouldn't mind chopping up a Corsair or BF109. Gonna finish this first.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2019, 07:35 AM
Team Spektrum FPV
wow, what an inspiration, that Butcher Bird looks mean!! I have always been torn with insignia (lots of Jewish heritage in my family history) but a scale airplane just needs to be done right, you can't erase history and its a mean mambo jambo that needs to look dead set on taking down a spit or stang!

I am not going to tear into my '190 to try to go to the .074, but I did manage to find a new .061 bigmig to replace the cranky AME, so hopefully mine will fly this spring! My friend built mine for aileron and elevator only, and we have plenty of grass around here, so I'm just going to fly it without gear.

Looking at your build is great inspiration for me, I need to decide what is next. I'm tired of looking at my Herr Mustang, I just want it done and flying! I would have gone with retracts and more, but the spar had a really weird forward location on that design and I just gave up right there and kept it simple. I do have (2) HOB mustang kits (the .19-.40) and I was thinking about building one and going all out with flaps and retracts and use an inverted Saito 40a.... eventually, we'll see if that lands on the table next...
Mar 11, 2019, 07:44 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Almost ready for taxi test

Glad ya like it aaron! I think it's ready for taxi testing. I fixed most of the paint issues that didn't look like weathering effect. Hah, ha, ha,.... Good enough! Ready to fly at 23.4 oz. 6 channels. CG achieved by moving the receiver back and forth. Most of our snow melted so I brought him out for pictures!

I too, am ready to build something else. Not sure what yet. Some kind of WWII fighter I'm sure.
Mar 12, 2019, 05:42 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Got a couple of these on the way.

https://www.apcprop.com/product/7x3/

These are lighter;
https://www.masterairscrew.com/colle...-7x3-propeller

A hair cheaper as well. Notice the claim of "Factory Balanced". Might get a couple of these too! Definitely committed to the Norvel .074 and .061 till I can't fly anymore.
Mar 12, 2019, 11:49 AM
Pro Hoarder
Super cool..cant wait to see it airborne
Latest blog entry: In flight
Mar 15, 2019, 06:48 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Weather is improving here. Might get to start it and taxi today. Might have to rework my tail wheel bearing or it might be fine. Need engine and taxi testing next!
Mar 15, 2019, 01:01 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Norvel .074 and APC 7x4 data

Tests performed with Byron Fuels Aero Gen2 15% Nitro with 20% synthetic/castor blend allegedly. Fuel is at least a year old. 60 degrees around 900' elevation. Don't forget to add a 0 for these tach readings.

After engine testing, went to taxi on the street and one of my gear is stuck up. Engine is running nice though. So far anyway! Got to play with the toy airplane with a toy spinner with toy landing gear!!!! I'll be back!
Mar 15, 2019, 06:32 PM
Nitro User
Nice yep with that 7x4 prop it ticks over with ease. I imagine a 6x4 will do 5k ish.

IF 60F
Static: 7x4 / 13,080 / 19oz thrust / .154hp - 115w / 50 mph pitch speed
Should do 60 mph with enough thrust to keep the pace all around the field.
Down wind passes with a bit of a breeze should hit 65 ish.

Mar 16, 2019, 12:27 PM
Pro Hoarder
Good numbers! Time to fly!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Mar 18, 2019, 08:10 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Not time yet, have a few bugs to work out. Hard plastic wheels I appropriated from my little AT-6 are still very hard plastic..... I think this one rates real rubber. I want to do something different for the gear door attachment too.

These last two planes here in 1/2A were built with the mindset of using my existing supplies as best I could. However, this plane has a lot of potential as light as it came out fully loaded 6 channels. I think it deserves rubber wheels.

Having not flown since last year, I need some stick time on my other planes before baby goes up. Please be patient! Still have to figure out how to post up videos. It's also 32 degrees here this morning. Hurts my old man skin!!!! I don't want baby out in the cold either..... looking at wheels....
Mar 19, 2019, 10:23 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Wheels and propeller stuff

Hard plastic wheels from somewhere and what I currently have at home. I've used these hard plastic 35.6 mm/1.405" wheels on a few planes in the past. Off asphalt. They are real hard! Don't want to go smaller. Kinda pondering the wheels at the moment. Tail wheel is hard plastic as well. Can make a beast to track well. Also received 7x3 props and will do some testing and post up data again. Weather is getting better. This morning would be great to fly!

Was not going to do gear doors cause they always get ripped off and add weight. Well, you know I did. So I ended up liking them.... and now I'm going to make them a bit more permanent. Argh! Easy material to replace and I stapled the template to the manual. Crazy plane stuff!!!

If I make another retract equipped one of these, going to enlarge the wheel well area/wing leading edge to a fatter design like the real A3 had. This will still be light and make it easier to have longer legs and larger diameter scale wheels and tires. I learned in this build that the Fred Reese design can easily be modified for all kinds of fun! Design changes, lightening experiments etc.
Apr 03, 2019, 05:08 AM
Wow great build. Good luck on the maiden!
Apr 03, 2019, 09:15 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Thanks Paul. Hope it's been entertaining. Me and grandsonny are getting over some kind of death flu 2000. Knocked me on my rear and had to put anything complicated down for awhile. Will get back to this. Gonna try to get some stick time in today on my Cub. First flying for me this year. Feel like a rusty old bolt......
May 29, 2019, 02:29 AM
Nitro User
HI J40 checking in hope all is well did you get a chance to fly the plane?

Here check this out you should enjoy!

Me 109 50 % - Hervé Ferauche (6 min 26 sec)

By Dopeuls
Published on Mar 13, 2014

Messerschmitt 109 1/2 scale.
Envergure: 5,20 m / Moteur: 520 cc Hirth Boxer / poids 120 kg / Hélice 39/18
May 29, 2019, 11:34 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Man, that 109 looked sexy coming in all dirty, gear and flaps down!

190A has flown over 5- less than 10 flights now. Including 2 dead stick landings from being a bit lean. Richened it a bit and that stopped. The plastic wheel/tire issue I had got worse in a funny way. One of them split open a bit on the perimeter seam and gravel got trapped making a horrible rolling sound during takeoffs till I noticed it.

I think it flys very well due to being very light. .074 pulls it around with authority and the 7x3 APC. Been trying to gear up to post video still. I have both the deadstick flights recorded but need better stuff. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Summer weather you know! Last child is home from college and we are hanging out a bit. Got a lighter receiver for my Global FW-190D and installed it last night. The HOB 190A is getting a new one as well.
She's getting a bit beat up at the little school I fly small planes at. They keep putting up stuff for me to hit!!!!! However, school is almost out and that will give me better access. Very rural and no one goes there in the summer. Used to be a great small carrier type deck place to fly but trees have grown the last 25 years or so and they put up new playsets for the kids ruining one side for takeoffs and landings. Very nice rural valley scenery though.

You might have noticed I picked the next build to post here. Rich Uravitch P-47. Have been gathering stuff for it. Been reading about you guys messing with the engines and such. Very interesting, thanks for adding stuff here amp!

Must admit I did a new darkside thing you guys might be disappointed at me for..... I bought a HK/Durafly 109 a month or so ago. Goes like a bandit but ya can't hear it like a slimer. Needs an OS .25FX or something. Hah, ha, ah!

Quick Reply