Oct 04, 2018, 11:37 AM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
Discussion

What Foam to Use?

Now that I finally get into foam planes, Depron has left the building!

Other than the Dollar Store foam board, what are my choices?
I am building for indoor flying.

Thank!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2018, 12:04 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
EPP works great and is readily available. There is a thread in this forum dedicated to online sources

MPF is a lot like Depron and FFF and can be purchased from Model Plane Foam. I've used it for several builds and have been VERY pleased with the product
Oct 04, 2018, 01:23 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger_i
Now that I finally get into foam planes, Depron has left the building!

Other than the Dollar Store foam board, what are my choices?
I am building for indoor flying.

Thank!
For small builds you can use free foam from food packaging trays .

Also , HobbyKing has 3mm modeling foam :
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aero-mod...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I use the 5mm & 10mm HK foam ..... it is lightweight , stiff & brittle .
Oct 04, 2018, 03:06 PM
Thanks, for the leg up!

I have used the meat tray, and white carry-out tray, foams for a little FA Stick, and it works well, but it is limited in usable size. However, it sure is nice to work with!

I will hunt up some EPP, and see how things progress.
Oct 04, 2018, 05:43 PM
Short bursts, Don't waste ammo
Springer sells model airplane foam (MPF) . It’s only available in 6mm. If you ask for a sample he’ll send you a 10x10 sheet of both “A” and “B” grade MPF. You won’t be disappointed.
Oct 04, 2018, 07:13 PM
They keep this up, and I'm gonna set up a hot wire rig, and slice off sheets from blue insulation boards!
Oct 04, 2018, 07:20 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Quote:
They keep this up, and I'm gonna set up a hot wire rig, and slice off sheets from blue insulation boards!
Move to Canada, even less options here. EPP might as well be unobtamium and shipping from the US (if you can find someone who will) makes DIYs cost more than ARFs.

I'm not bitter.
Oct 04, 2018, 09:44 PM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8R1964
Springer sells model airplane foam (MPF) . Its only available in 6mm. If you ask for a sample hell send you a 10x10 sheet of both A and B grade MPF. You wont be disappointed.
YES he does, any of you guys who want a free sample pack, just pm me your address.
Oct 04, 2018, 10:35 PM
"On the Wing"
Quote:
That is your best bet!

A hot wire foam cutter is easy to put together in less than a day and inexpensive. I am still using the same 4' x 8' x 2" sheet of foam I bought 10 years ago.

And, it's fun!
Oct 08, 2018, 09:49 PM
For indoor flying EPP is the only material that will survive any length of time...
Our indoor sessions are crash and bash, its not deliberate, but mid airs are very common and the floor is hard concrete... so a mid air tangle results in a nose dive to the hard surface, which will fracture an XPS foam model....thats depron/hobbyking foam /B&Q foam and any others you can find....
In the UK robot birds sells the EPP... 7-8mm thickness is the most used...
Oct 10, 2018, 02:16 PM
Trouble is EPP in UK ks expensive compared to HK foam.... That's what sdtops me bjuyikng it and building a nynkre foam models that are not covered with tape.
Oct 14, 2018, 09:51 AM
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
YES he does, any of you guys who want a free sample pack, just pm me your address.
I tried to send message. Error says you cannot receive any more until you make room in your inbox.
Oct 14, 2018, 01:28 PM
treefinder
Oh,oh, time to clean it out! Back in a bit. . .
Done! Cleaned out.
Last edited by springer; Oct 14, 2018 at 01:39 PM.
Oct 15, 2018, 05:17 PM
Quote:
That's exactly what I do. And it is easier than you think.
Oct 15, 2018, 05:44 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Found some new foam at Dollarama. 20" x 30" x 6mm, no waves or paper, colored one side. Haven't played with it, so no performance/build evaluation yet.

Quick Reply