Sep 20, 2021, 10:16 PM
Thread OP

Du Bro Seabird update

Back to the Du-Bro Seabird….. Worked on making the spray rails today. Thanks to Scott and RDJeff for their modification ideas on their Lanier Seabirds…
Started with sanding(220) lower hull, then glued 1/8” strip of balsa to lower hull. The strip was beveled with a 15 * cut for the spray rail . Measured and fit fiberglass rail to balsa. Tacked glued.. Check angle of rail, re-glued rail and trimmed fiberglass.Then put green 2 pt putty above and below rail. Most of the green putty is sanded off, (220/320), primed….white spot putty next.
Will increase the step height 1/8th” and sharpen step edge later this week…..Other mods, widen rudder 1/4”, install water rudder and utilize 2 servos for aileron control instead of original one with original Du Bro Seabird.

Cheers,
B
Last edited by bradl7112; Sep 21, 2021 at 11:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2021, 09:24 PM
Thread OP

Du Bro Seabird Step modification

Increased the step height by 1/8” with balsa and fiberglass.. The increased height in step should help with the planing, T/O issues.This is how I did it.
Also increased the rudder width by 1/2 “ and fiberglassed the vertical/horizontal stabilizers, rudder and elevators….with very lightweight cloth and resin.The glassing of the balsa parts is standard, old school, pattern stuff..and waterproof. I used silkspan and Aerogloss dope back in 1973 on my first Du Bro Seabird, when I was 14 yrs old …you could still see the wood grain. I’ve used Monokote for over 30 yrs which allows dents. Dan De Luca (RIP) of Pathfinder game .. is the only person I’ve ever seen that rivaled painted finishes with Monokote.…A Master monokote artist..
I’m sure many others did…..but I prefer fiberglass and paint for longevity…even for this old school Du Bro ARF.
Last edited by bradl7112; Sep 23, 2021 at 07:22 AM.
Sep 23, 2021, 09:59 PM
Thread OP

More work

Rough sanding flight controls, filling fuselage seam, dual servos for ailerons ….
Sep 24, 2021, 10:06 PM
Thread OP

Tail

Putty an
Sep 24, 2021, 10:12 PM
Thread OP

Fiberglass and putty

Lots of filling on the seam initially and then spot putty to hide ridges…Still lightweight.
IMO…Lightweight fiberglassing w/ resin is the way to go on balsa flight control parts..Sands easy .Rudder has been slightly widened.
Sep 24, 2021, 11:12 PM
Thermal Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl7112
Lots of filling on the seam initially and then spot putty to hide ridges…Still lightweight.
IMO…Lightweight fiberglassing w/ resin is the way to go on balsa flight control parts..Sands easy .Rudder has been slightly widened.
Looking good. You got a lot done the past few days. What color or colors have you chose for the bird?
Sep 25, 2021, 12:07 AM
Thread OP
Thx,McLeod Aviation,
Yes, Vacation..
Did you ever start on your Harpoon ?
Don’t know my livery yet, I’m a long ways off, but it won’t be standard or boring…I’m a classic pattern guy, so this will include multi colors …probably urethane or acrylic.
Last edited by bradl7112; Sep 25, 2021 at 12:19 AM.
Sep 25, 2021, 05:58 PM
Thermal Seeker
Quote:
Thx,McLeod Aviation,
Yes, Vacation..
Did you ever start on your Harpoon ?
Don’t know my livery yet, I’m a long ways off, but it won’t be standard or boring…I’m a classic pattern guy, so this will include multi colors …probably urethane or acrylic.
I haven't started on the Harpoon but look forward to it. Sure would be fun flying off the water.

Sounds like you will be applying an awesome paint scheme on the Seabird. I've seen some really nice paint jobs on classic pattern planes. I remember seeing a Dirty Birdy at the Toledo show in RCM magazine with an amazing paint job. I loved seeing pictures from the Toledo show every year in RCM. Guys came from all over the country to show off their latest and greatest creations.
Sep 25, 2021, 06:23 PM
Thread OP
Yes..
Regarding the Toledo or the WRAM show ..Masterpieces on display. Nowadays, folks think foamies look good ..and display them for awards at shows. Different times and generations.
If you search RC groups , Sailplanes, Sterling 1-34 …you can see the livery on my 1-34 that I “borrowed “ from a Spot On pattern plane. the Seabird won’t be that complicated, but it will have several colors …That 1-34 only took me 8 years to build, 2 to cover….LOL
Last edited by bradl7112; Sep 26, 2021 at 01:01 AM.
Sep 29, 2021, 01:04 AM
Thermal Seeker
I did a quick search on your profile page to find all attachments. Your Sterling 1-34 looks great. I'm sure the bright colors help keep an eye on the model when riding thermals out of sight. lol.

The T2A-MKlV in your attachments looks awesome. Did you paint that beautiful model?
Sep 29, 2021, 02:10 AM
Thread OP
Thx,
The Sterling 1-34 was finished over 3 years ago and is a little heavy at 4.75 lbs. I built it for the slope out here in CA. My intention is to maiden it on the slopes of Torrey Pines when the wind is at least 12kts. I haven’t been around when this has occurred….work…LOL.
The test flights went very well at a local beach with a very small slope.
No.My T2A-Mk IV (RIP) was painted by a friend(Chris) who was an RC modeler when I lived in Dallas in 1992. His auto bodyshop, in N. Dallas was called Christian Bro’s..Just OUTSTANDING work ..He was very familiar with weight issues. Chris painted my pattern models in his bodyshop when he had time..We used PPG products and I provided the paint schemes. A very talented young man…
Last edited by bradl7112; Oct 08, 2021 at 12:18 AM.
Sep 29, 2021, 10:36 PM
Thread OP

Tail group attachment

Worked on priming, sanding the empennage and attaching it to the fuselage. First measured and leveled the stab. Then re-sanded the area area on the rear fuselage for the stab attachment. The original Du-Bro Seabird does not have the plywood plate in the rear area of the plastic fuselage to attach the stab. (I presume that Lanier did this to strengthen the area.) I used the original Du-Bro idea and used 15 min epoxy to attach the stab to the fuse and 5 min epoxy to attach the vertical stab. The vertical stab was slightly warped , so we pinned it straight before epoxing..We took multiple measurements to ensure the angles between wing and stab, horizontal stab and vertical stab, etc, Many more measurements than I took as a kid in 1973…. Last few photos of the Seabird with the wing and stab on…It’s starting to look like a flying boat.
Last edited by bradl7112; Sep 30, 2021 at 01:39 AM.
Sep 30, 2021, 07:37 AM
Hi,
I have question , I am not sure but why did you round edge of fuselage after step?
It will have significant impact during start from my point of view.

Marecisko

Quote:
Increased the step height by 1/8” with balsa and fiberglass.. The increased height in step should help with the planing, T/O issues.This is how I did it.
Also increased the rudder width by 1/2 “ and fiberglassed the vertical/horizontal stabilizers, rudder and elevators….with very lightweight cloth and resin.The glassing of the balsa parts is standard, old school, pattern stuff..and waterproof. I used silkspan and Aerogloss dope back in 1973 on my first Du Bro Seabird, when I was 14 yrs old …you could still see the wood grain. I’ve used Monokote for over 30 yrs which allows dents. Dan De Luca (RIP) of Pathfinder game .. is the only person I’ve ever seen that rivaled painted finishes with Monokote.…A Master monokote artist..
I’m sure many others did…..but I prefer fiberglass and paint for longevity…even for this old school Du Bro ARF.
Sep 30, 2021, 09:29 AM
Thread OP
Greetings Marecisko,
I did not round the edges of the hull aft of the step. I left this section of the hull as designed by Du- Bro in 1970.Based on previous Seabird reports, the planing and T/O issues of this early ARF design were related to the smaller, rounded plastic step that was a part of the molding process. The deeper, sharper step that I made should help with this issue and resolve the water separation issue.
Last edited by bradl7112; Oct 01, 2021 at 02:05 AM.
Oct 05, 2021, 12:33 AM
Thread OP

Servo installation

Used a 3/32” plywood plate vs the 1/8” plate as specified on the Du-Bro plans.. Du-Bro has a full size paper mock up of the installation…glued the provided hold down blocks for the plate. For the ailerons, 2 servos used , instead of the one servo…which will allow flaperons,… some photos..
Last edited by bradl7112; Oct 05, 2021 at 12:41 AM.

Quick Reply