This thread is privately moderated by montis, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 03, 2018, 09:55 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Eachine VTX03S review, power output test

Inside of the box there is only the VTX03S itself and the instructions leaflet.

The PCB layout is very similar to the VTX03 with some minor changes.

Leaflet provides basic info and the basic operation instructions for manual channel/band/power selection.

Notice, that channels 4, 7 and 8 on the band E are disabled due to the FCC regulations. Also bands U, o, L and H were removed.

Weight of the VTX03S is 3.3 grams with wires. You can shave about 0.5 gram if you will strip the connectors and shorten the wires.

Power output measurements

Connected the VTX03S to the RF power meter to test. VTX was cooled with fan while taking the measurements.

First test: 25mW output setting. In the reality it is outputting almost 80mW (19dBm).

Next step 50mW outputs nearly 118 mW (20.7dBm).

At 100mW setting it outputs even 398 mW (26.0 dBm)

And at max setting of 200mW it outputs enormous 501 mW (27d Bm)!

Tested the 25mw setting without cooling and it drops from 80mW down to 28mW (14.5 dBm) after a few minutes.

The power output test results are very disappointing. 25mW power setting exceeds the declared output by 3 times, outputting almost 80mW!

PROS

Small and lightweight (3.3 grams)
Smart Audio control (to be tested)
Pit mode/25m/50/100/200mW switchable power modes

CONS

Output power is boosted enormously
No microphone on board, no audio in

CONCLUSION

Eachine VTX03S is very lightweight (3.3 grams with wires) and small VTX. It fits into wide range of the aircrafts from the micro brushed, brushless quadcopters up to the high perfomance racing quads, where the weight is crucial. The added Smart Audio remote control feature is a must have in the modern video transmitter. VTX03S have 5 switchable output power modes Pit/25/50/100/200mW. However we have a bad news for racers output power is enormously boosted over the expected values. 25mW mode outputs almost 80mW, 50mW outputs nearly 118 mW, at 200mW iy outputs enormously much 501mW (!) of the RF power. If you are flying alone, more mW probably is welcome it will increase your flying range and will slightly improve the picture, but it also means that VTX is consumig more current and leads to the less flight time, especially on the smaller quads. On the race events you probably will be asked to turn your quad off after the VTX power measurements you cannot exceed the 25mW requirements.

Im also missing the audio feature for this transmitter. It should be relatively easy to add the mic on the board or at least break out a pad for audio-in.

Available @ Banggood: https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-VTX...ampaign=montis

More info can be found @ https://www.multirotorguide.com/revi...h-smart-audio/

Disclaimer: This item was supplied by Banggood for a fair and unbiased review. Banggood never asked for a positive review and never infuenced my opinion in any way. Im trying my best to stay uninfluenced and give only my own opinion. All affiliate links if there are any help me purchase items for future reviews.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2018, 10:31 AM
Increased power output is only bad in a racing environment. Everywhere else it is good.

Anyway 25mW vs 28mW is not a big difference.
Oct 03, 2018, 02:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imozeb
Increased power output is only bad in a racing environment. Everywhere else it is good.

Anyway 25mW vs 28mW is not a big difference.
Power dropped to 28mW only when the VTX heated up. Only on the bench. In the air it cools down and increases the power output.

When I'm flying with my buddy, even 600mW is ok - no interference as we fly on the far separated channels. But if we were 4 or more of us it would likely be a problem.
500mW on such a small VTX is impressive power. Sadly it is out of specs.
Oct 13, 2018, 03:19 PM
Do you know why one of these wouldn't work with fatshark attitude v2 Goggles?. Tried and channels and bands and only get static or a black screen.
Oct 13, 2018, 03:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter24
Do you know why one of these wouldn't work with fatshark attitude v2 Goggles?. Tried and channels and bands and only get static or a black screen.
Hmm... not sure what exactly can be. If you get normal picture with the other vtx, then this VTX 03S might be just faulty.
Also re-check the wiring.
Oct 14, 2018, 09:21 AM
I have actually working now, I have connected to a new f4 fc with built in osd, using the same camera but this time yellow wire from camera goes to cam in on fc and yellow wire from vtx goes to video out on fc and it works.

Not sure why it doesn't work without the fc/osd in the middle.
Oct 14, 2018, 10:01 AM
Thread OP
Interesting. Might be some incompatibility, but might be some other simple reason, e.g. lens cap was on... BTW what cam is it?
Oct 14, 2018, 12:46 PM
the camera is a Sony PZ0420. It's an old one.
All I've done is add the new fc in as the yellow wire from this camera was previously attached to the yellow wire from vtx.
Oct 14, 2018, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter24
the camera is a Sony PZ0420. It's an old one.
All I've done is add the new fc in as the yellow wire from this camera was previously attached to the yellow wire from vtx.
Ok. So probably it was some incompatibility issue.

Quick Reply