Nov 17, 2019, 10:13 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Amusingly, it makes quite a difference when you're actually trying to run in to each other. Frankly it's pretty hard to do and many of our sessions result in no hits. But the mental attitude is totally different. Very fun.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2019, 05:52 AM
flyin' fool
Sunny and 14C here today.
Nov 22, 2019, 03:06 AM
Thread OP
Our mid airs are very common, whilst trying to miss we get regular hits... like this from my buddy Richard...
I only just fixed and painted this one.. But it flies fine once you put the bits back in place.
Last edited by davereap; Nov 29, 2019 at 06:39 AM.
Nov 25, 2019, 08:56 AM
Thread OP
New heavy weight build.... for outdoor use as a sport flier
The model is 29.5 inches span... with a Kfm4 wing from 6mm depron.
AUW with a 2200 3s is 33.6oz ..giving about 7.2ozsqft loading..
small MG servos all round.. uses a 11x7 sf prop on a 3536 motor of some sort.

This is a conversion of my big old PP1 which has a high central dihedral...
I couldnt flatten the wing easily so it keeps its dihedral and I have added a double layered Quasar shaped fuzz.
The Quasar fuzz was scaled up to suit the span , then pulled/scaled shorter by a couple of inches using sketchup to fit the root chord of the wing.

The wing has a double thickness main layer with single layer kf steps added top and bottom... giving a total of four layers at the leading edge, with two layers at the rear.. wing tip fins are two layered as is the new Fuzz.
Last edited by davereap; Nov 27, 2019 at 12:37 AM.
Nov 25, 2019, 11:09 PM
Thread OP
It hasnt flown yet, but here is an old video of the PP1 ..I am hoping for an improvement as the basic Quasars shape seem to fly better..
I have also reduced the overall weight by a couple of ounces whilst keeping the wing loading very similar..
Batteries also affect the AUW ,, my calculations were using old heavy lump 3s lipos..
PP1 KFm4 with 3536 and 11x7SF prop on 3s 2200 flt3 23 04 2015 (10 min 33 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Nov 27, 2019 at 12:38 AM.
Nov 29, 2019, 06:23 AM
Thread OP
yesterday I flew my Qv2 and the PP1 cross quasar at our indoor meet...... both were flying great.. The PP1 cross has a lower wing loading and will fly a lot slower, It also seems to be a bit more stable in the hover..
Other than that all quasar versions fly much the same, rolling, looping, hover, inverted all good..

One option for exploring both types, is to make a PP1 cross, fly that and then if you want cut its wing shape and convert it to the Basic Quasar v2....
Nov 29, 2019, 06:27 AM
Thread OP
videos from the 28th nov 2019 session.

peter here.
3 quasars 28 11 2019 (4 min 26 sec)

3 quasars ,PP1 and a noisy 26 EZfly 28 11 2019 (3 min 33 sec)

getting busy flight 3 28 11 2019 (3 min 20 sec)

PP1 cross quasar busy flight 1 28 11 2019 (4 min 39 sec)

richard here
PP1 cross quasar busy flight 2 28 11 2019 (4 min 42 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Dec 07, 2019 at 02:27 PM.
Dec 06, 2019, 12:29 AM
Thread OP
All my models for indoors now use the gartt 2204-1800 motor , but there is a lot of difference to be found in prop selections for 2s and 3s...

3 basic props... all from banggood... orange sf..black sf... orange 8x4.
the sf props fit the gartt motor without an addapter.. the standard 8x4 needs the addapter which comes with the motor..

I like to be able to hover and have enough pull to climb away.. both sf props will do this fine on 2s.. but the standard 8x4 wont do that in cold weather.. You need to use a 3s instead... in the summer the 8x4 on 3s can give a bit too much thrust...
Dec 06, 2019, 12:44 AM
Thread OP
even with only 4 planes flying I had 3 mid air collisions last night... two with the PP1 cross breed and one with the Qv2..
the wing on the PP1type was slashed, and the leading edge of the Qv2 got ripped..
these are now my "go to" models..
The PP1 cross will fly much slower than the Qv2, However both fly plenty slow enough for our hall, Both hover lovely and fly any manoeuvre I am capable of flying..
I tend to fly on low power settings , with burst to do rolls and loops.. The PP1 cross definitely flies on the lowest throttle setting.. both rocket away when at full power
Dec 06, 2019, 02:40 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
On the planes that use this motor, I highly value very low weight, so would want to remain on 2S. I use the same GWS (probably copy) 8043's you do. Recommended on the other Q thread, I tried the APC 8" slow fly and it worked just fine. But not enough better for my feeble skills to detect so I went back to GWS. I think I found a sale for about 10 cents per prop and bought a lifetime supply. So I really don't care if they're a bit fragile....just swap them out when needed.

BTW, I use 75C Tattu 450 batteries which I expect give better punch than smaller, lesser batteries.
Dec 07, 2019, 02:06 AM
Thread OP
Our hall is unheated , in the winter we freeze, and the GWS props get so brittle they shatter at the slightest impact, they are the best for both thrust and low power consumption, but I break too many...so for me the black SF props are a better compromise , having the same thrust , more durability, but drawing a fraction more current..however even the black ones break in our hard landings..lol
APC props draw even more current, and are more expensive, so I dont use them..
Ive been using nanotech 450 60c lipos , they have been ok in the colder weather whilst some lower C lipos struggle

the present models weigh about 225 gms with a 2s.. and will hover fine on the gartt setup..
Last edited by davereap; Dec 11, 2019 at 01:12 AM.
Dec 07, 2019, 10:25 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Just for clarification, when you say APC are you referring to the common APCe or the newer 3DSF? It's the latter that equal or exceed the GWS-SF. But yeah...still pricey by comparison. I understand your compromise.

I haven't run the numbers, but I use 1800kv too, and I suspect it exceeds RPM limits for SF props. Haven't had one come apart though, so....?
Dec 07, 2019, 02:23 PM
flyin' fool
I've compared many different prop brands in the same size/style and GWS props 'most always' generate more thrust/ less amps.

Besides, I can buy a bucket load for the price of one APC, which don't hold up any better at indoor flying, even in a heated hall.
Dec 07, 2019, 02:28 PM
flyin' fool
An APC 7X4.1 3DSF will set me back about $3.50 CDN.

I can build an EPP Quasar airframe for that!!!!
Dec 08, 2019, 02:00 AM
Thread OP
I was thinking about the common APC...I havnt tried the sf type..
I am all about low prices and prefer to keep every thing cheap... for the best fun with no worries..
For indoor flying everything is made using EPP because it takes a lot of bashing .. Outside any depron foam is fine with tape strengthening.. outside there is more room and less crashing, and depron types of foam are even cheaper..

Ive bought a couple of new motors from banggood..
https://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-B...r_warehouse=CN
these should be similar to the Gartt
but are a lot cheaper..being on special offer right now...with an extra discount if you have two..
NOTE>>>>they are even cheaper from their USA site..
They fit the orange GWS and black SF props perfectly..

So a swap is going to be made with one going on my Quasar v2 for the next session

Ive just swapped on into my Quasar v2 and just running the motor with one of the black props it pulls up very nicely out of my hand... lovely...

They are so good that Ive ordered another two.. whist they are on offer
Last edited by davereap; Dec 11, 2019 at 01:18 AM.

Quick Reply