to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2018, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W
..I'm running out of popcorn
Wanna gtake it to the indoor flying but I'm not sure it will fly slow eniugh
Oct 23, 2018, 05:31 PM
Any idea what my wing loading is..

Looked up calculating in and I'm stuck...
Oct 24, 2018, 05:12 AM
Name: Screenshot_20181024-100831.png
Views: 5
Size: 152.9 KB
Description: Name: Screenshot_20181024-100837.png
Views: 2
Size: 67.1 KB
Description:

Not sure I've done this right. From nwhat I've worked out I should have a stall speed of 10MPH. Seemsnlike nthis would mean I could fly it indoors as long as I've got enough turning..
Oct 24, 2018, 05:46 PM
Succesfull maiden! Flew it at the indoor and was pleasantly surprised how slow it flew considering it's heavy. Once you get into the groove you can keep the nose super high and slowly fly around but as soon as you mess up and have to bring the nose down it suddenly accelerated.

I had 2 short flights. Both ended nwhen I got into a hover and it started going over on it's back it just doesn't nhave enough thrust with my skill level to get out. Thebfirest dfopndown caused no damage. The second broke the elevon hinges.

Very pleased at how it flies.

Hopefully have a video soon
Oct 25, 2018, 06:14 AM
Qv3d maiden indoors (0 min 22 sec)

Here's the video. Sorry about quality. Fb video downloaded.

The plan was to just test it in a straight line and let it glide down but it was traveling so slow I decided to test control response ended up doing circuits. Didn't catch the beginning.

I stalled it in a turn which is why it ended in hover that I couldn't get out of
Oct 25, 2018, 06:22 AM
Jim
Wow it is slow! Looks great I don't think there is an issue with excessive wing loading! Maybe a little more power to get you out of trouble when needed.
Oct 25, 2018, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W
Wow it is slow! Looks great I don't think there is an issue with excessive wing loading! Maybe a little more power to get you out of trouble when needed.
Just think how much slower it would be if it was built light. Yeah I need to swap out the 10x4 for an 11x4.
Oct 26, 2018, 02:17 AM
good stuff.... with nose up these things fly extremely slow... you do however need enough thrust to pull up and away...
Usually I give some "down" and add power to get out of the hover...
On 3s it rockets up... on 2s its a slow climb up and away.

here is a standard size with a 3s used by mistake... goes a bit too fast for easy indoor flying..
you can of course throttle back, but with the excess power the throttle is less accurate..
modified V3 using a 3s lipo by mistake (3 min 53 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Oct 26, 2018 at 03:20 AM.
Oct 26, 2018, 02:50 AM
Back on 2s the flight is much easier... whist the Q is a 3d capable model, its also a very steady model, easy to fly... flight with low rates set makes it flyable for anyone with the basic skills .. Its not a first model that fully rights itself, but it is somewhat stable due to the delta shape...
modified V3 using a 2s lipo (8 min 14 sec)

nice and easy
modified V3 using a 2s lipo 2 slow and steady (3 min 53 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Oct 26, 2018 at 03:16 AM.
Oct 26, 2018, 04:24 AM
Yes it needs 11x4 prop to give a little more thrust otherwise it doesn't climb once you start going over on it's back and not enough thrust to push it back over with down elevator.

Thanks for the excellent plans. Will be building the original probably with epp and run on 2s
Oct 26, 2018, 11:26 AM
Just a note to anyone that builds a scasled up heavy version. If you think this will fly in heavy winds yoiu will be very shocked as you spend the next 30 seconds trying too get it down safely. The huge wing area makes it seem tail heavy as the wiknd just poushes it up and down.

I ended up over the nonfly zone powered it into the wind and then let it drop down.

Broke the hinges on one elevone. No damage though.

The large area just acts like a sail. Probably doesn't help either than I'm using 9g servos
Oct 27, 2018, 04:12 AM
lots more power will help... with more speed..
and definitely some metal geared servos.... you also need to make sure the control surfaces are not flexing..
scaled up by 160% your model should be at 38" span with 6.86sqft area... a lot for the wind to hit on..
At 32oz that gives a (32/6.86) 4.66ozsqft loading.. In the slow and floaty area for outside flight..

I have a similar size and weight model , a scaled up version of my PP1 .. a KFm4 build.. its only 30" span but has 5.4sqft area
this uses a 3536-1000kv with an 11x7sf prop , a 40A ESC and a 2200 3s lipo ..more suitable for a Big quasar
It has a wing loading of 6.7 ozsqft
PP1-- https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...to-Fly-designs
the PP1 was designed to be self stable in flight..
here is a video of that lump... the Quasar should fly a lot better
PP1 KFm4 with 3536 and 11x7SF prop on 3s 2200 flt2 12 04 2015 (7 min 15 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Oct 27, 2018 at 04:42 AM.
Oct 27, 2018, 04:27 AM
It seemed like a good idea!!!!
If I was going to have a go at a 38" with 6mm Depron, would you recommend trying a KFm2 or even a KFm4?

Or should I stick to a single layer with judicious use of CF flat and laminating film?

I would only ever fly outdoors so weight is not quite so much of a penalty (although I obviously don't want to add it unnecessarily).
Oct 27, 2018, 04:52 AM
It does depend on the foam you have available..
At the large size a KFm4 will be the strongest... with a 2 layer fuz. That is if you are using a 5-6mm foam..
for a 10mm foam go KFm2
But it does depend on what you are trying to achieve... Is it the performance of the original 3D model or a good outdoor sports model...

On the PP1 above I have used a doubled layer main wing layer and doubled layer elevons as well..
over weight???? yes likely it is ... but its a good flier...
Last edited by davereap; Nov 04, 2018 at 04:05 AM.

Quick Reply