This thread is privately moderated by yqrninja, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 02, 2018, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Odyssey Lacquer and Paint

Over the weekend I completed the Lacquering. . . . I was worried about this step. Worried about how to apply it, worried about ruining the finish, and worried about how much weight it would add to the air-frame. As a complete rookie lacquering for the very first time, how did i do? Pretty good actually, it really is dead simple.
Here in Canada, Deft is not easy to find, I chose Watco brand rattle can (Satin finish). Other builders have had success using it, and it was available from the local Home Depot. The instructions call for a brush on method, spray-on or Brush either is good.

Step 1: Lightly spray wing with 1:1 Ratio of water & Rubbing alcohol to raise the wood grain. let it dry.
Step 2: Lightly sand surface with 400 grit sandpaper
Step 3: Apply coat #1 Lacquer.
Step 4: Lightly sand surface with 400 grit sandpaper
Step 5: Apply coat #2 Lacquer.
Step 6: Lightly sand surface with 400 grit sandpaper
Step 7: Lightly sand surface with 600 grit sandpaper
Step 8: Apply coat #3 Lacquer.
Step 9: Paint
Step 10: light sand with 600, and 4th coat of lacquer over painted wind tips to protect the paint.

As for weight, The wing before lacquer began at 402g ended at 418.5g after 4 coats. 16.5 g added, I wish it was less. It is what it is. Considering the size of this glider its not so bad.. I still have to add paint to ascent markings. Lessons learned. If I where to do it again I would apply any paint after the 2nd coat of lacquer, then finish it all with a final coat of lacquer after the paint was dry, sealing it all under one consistent looking finish. I will continue with my little weigh-in experiment as I progress with the paint in the coming days. I am curious how much paint will cost in weight.

Sept 30 2018:
My current musing is color choice. Neon pink was my first thought, to match my Hot Pink Snipe, but after mocking it up in Photoshop I changed my mind. Lots of red out there...., Orange? Neon Green ? Yellow?

Oct 1 2018: I'm not much of a painter, but I know enough to apply extremely light coats of to prevent bleeding, think dusting. Waiting about 15 minutes between application. Its hard mentally to hold back and only apply a little at a time. Its human nature to just go for it. I did a little painting practicing on a scrap piece of maple plywood. Practice helped my confidence, before committing on the wing. Bottom of wing will be black strips for visibility. It is tricky and time consuming to tape off the wing. Don't leave any place for over spray to sneak in, tape it off thoroughly. An hour and a half of good quality blue painters tape later, and I am pretty happy with the results. Nice clean lines with no bleeding.

Oct 7 2018: After much debate, and a half dozen mock-ups, the Neon Yellow/Black combination wins. Even thought I don't really like yellow generally, this turned out quite nice I think. The visibility is outstanding. I used a can of neon yellow from Rustoleum. I sprayed a very light flat white base coat so that the neon had a chance to shine. Careful not to put it on too thick as applying it heavy results in a darker yellow and less neon affect.

Paint added 6g, the wing is now weighs in at 423.3g, after adding yet another coat of lacquer to cover the paint.

Next steps are to cut out ailerons and flaps.
Last edited by yqrninja; Oct 11, 2018 at 10:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2018, 10:53 AM
How's the build going? I have an older Odyssey that weighs in at 1160 grams would love it even more if I could loose a 100++ grams Following before I pull the trigger on the lighter version.
Oct 23, 2018, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
The build has slowed at the moment while I tackle another home reno project that is taking priority. At the moment the glider weighing in at 972g, I have to cut the flap and ailerons, and assemble the fuse. I am sure I can finish the glider under 1000g. I will keep posting updates as I go.

Quick Reply