This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 29, 2018, 10:46 PM
Discussion

UMX Whipit DLG

It's a really nice day ..
Almost a Whipit Day ...

Anyhow - a Whipit update !

A) Cleaned up the mold lines in the wing ..
1. Whipit penetrates better now
2. Flies faster now

B) I put some wing tape on the rudder as the last time I flew the rudder was way soft .
1) Rudder was much better now , turns much tighter , more authority
2) My rudder is bent like a banana , so the wing tape now has given the bend more authority
3) In turns the nose wants to drop even harder due to increased rudder authority

C) I put some wing tape on the elevator as now the elevator ( after flying today ) felt a little soft . So closing some of the gap .

D) Did always mean to take a photo and check alignment of the elevator and wing compared to the boom ...
Might be some room to play with the wing alignment .. The angle of attack on the wing , might be a little high ?
Have to check on that ...

Flying today ( 30 - Sep - 2018 )
Was a little breezy for the Whipit ..
It does penetrate better now , but it also flies faster and can lose altitude faster , especially flying down wind .

All my tuning was for naught as the mods I made turned the Whipit into another animal .

I had this one brilliant flight where the breeze dropped off to a cotton puff .. I launched , got a good transition .. I turned to the right and glided cross breeze like you would on a slope .. Turned into the breeze and flew across the breeze the other way .. Then I turned right into the breeze and flew across the breeze and amazingly I would have been lucky to have lost 1 meter of altitude during those 3 turns and cross breeze flights ...
On my 4th turn the wind picked up and in the stronger breeze the Whipit lost altitude , especially in the turns where the nose would pitch down rather hard ..
Closing the gaps in the elevator might help (?)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2018, 12:33 AM
I went out again in the afternoon after lunch ..
I made some minor changes ..

Taped up the elevator ( close the gaps )
I also added two layers of electrical tape under the back of the wing where the rear screws go to lower the wings angle of attack ..
I was surprised just how much of a difference this made .

It was easily two to three or more times windy this afternoon than it was in the morning . In fact when the breeze picked up in the morning is when I called it .

The breeze was easily greater than when I called it in the morning ..
Here is the kicker .. It flew through the breeze so easily , I just could not believe it .
So there , a tech tip .. If your Whipit wont punch through a breeze , maybe change the wings angle of attack ?
There is quite a bit of angle to play with ...

Im going to go get some lemon squash , have a lie down and maybe watch forged in fire ...
Oct 01, 2018, 09:10 PM

02 Oct 2018

It was a Whipit Morning ..
So off to the park I went ..

Can't help but feel that the Wing and Tail are working against each other ( Angle off attack of each )
So might lift the back of the wing some more .

Also the nose dropping in turns , could be too forward a CG . Something else to play with .

Still had a nice Whiping time at the park ..

Quick Reply