Sep 29, 2018, 12:40 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

4wd SC BASHER

Hey guys!
I wanted to see what the best 4wd short course truck is? I won't be racing a whole lot, mostly bashing. I wanted to see what SC truck would be the best. It has to be electric, 1/10. I am currently looking into brands, Traxxas, Losi, Arrma, Team Associated and HPI. What is your opinion? What SC is the best for bashing? Am open to building kits or rtr.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2018, 12:52 AM
Thread OP
I have a pretty flexible budget, and but would like it to be under 600. Seems to be alot of versions of Traxxas Slash 4x4, so which is best for bashing? Also saw the PROSC 4x4 from Team Associated. From Losi, I see the TENACITY. Arrma offers the senton. and i can't find anything for HPI. What is the best? Are there other brands to discuss?
Sep 29, 2018, 03:21 PM
The Mad Titan
For an RTR (ready to run) choice in that price range, I'd go with an Arrma Senton 6S BLX. It's built like a tank compared to the others. The only "downside" is you need 4S or 6S packs (or two 2S or two 3S), so batteries and chargers get pricier vs only needing a single 2S or 3S pack and capable charger for the other brands. Arrma just came out with a Senton 3S BLX, which only needs a single 2S or 3S pack, though it's durability hasn't been established yet since it's brand new (just came out this week).
Sep 29, 2018, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
DC1138 (MadTitan)
Thanks for the advice! What about for kit trucks? I am willing to go over my budget.
Thanks
Sep 29, 2018, 08:54 PM
The Mad Titan
Most kits are designed for racing, not really bashing. That being said, Tekno kits are supposed to be among the most durable vehicles out there (RTR or Kit). They make a short course model, but you still need all the electronics, wheels/tires and a body to complete it (along with battery/charger). Depending on what want to get, you could be looking at $800-$1000 to get a Tekno up and running.
Sep 29, 2018, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138
For an RTR (ready to run) choice in that price range, I'd go with an Arrma Senton 6S BLX. It's built like a tank compared to the others. The only "downside" is you need 4S or 6S packs (or two 2S or two 3S), so batteries and chargers get pricier vs only needing a single 2S or 3S pack and capable charger for the other brands. .
What is the arrma's parts support like? Customer service?
Sep 29, 2018, 09:55 PM
The Mad Titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe321
What is the arrma's parts support like? Customer service?
Arrma was a brand under Hobbico, which went bankrupt earlier this year and was forced to liquidate its assets. As a result, Arrma parts were hard to get for a while. Horizon Hobby purchased Arrma and has been getting them back to normal (here in the US at least), so parts support doesn't seem to be an issue anymore and Arrma is introducing new vehicles again. Customer service is good since it's under the Horizon umbrella.
Sep 30, 2018, 12:39 AM
Thread OP
Are there any other brands you would go to for 4wd SC truck?
Sep 30, 2018, 07:19 AM
I know people love bashing on Traxxas but OEM and aftermarket parts for the Slash 4x4 are everywhere! Also the truck takes a beating. My son and I have had ours for over 8 years and yes, we have had to replace 90% of the car, but I run 3s, hot and over geared, do insane jumps, and have been run over twice.

I would get a slash 4x4 platinum with an hcg chassis if you want to bash.

What she looks like now with her pretty body:

Sep 30, 2018, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
MiamiTJ, that slash looks great with that body

What do you guys think about LOSI, and it's offerings in 4wd SC? Things like the TEN and the Tenacity
Last edited by Gabe321; Sep 30, 2018 at 11:41 AM.
Sep 30, 2018, 11:49 AM
Did I make the A Main?
+1 for ARRMA if you're wanting a RTR, however I would caution that RTR typically means "Ready to Reassemble" for most brands on the market. OEM's often take short cuts to keep costs low in the assembly process, you'll need to rebuild both shocks and diffs to apply fresh grease on the rubber seals to prevent leaks...etc. If you think you will want to keep this car for a long time, then I would definitely go with a race grade kit, building a kit will give you a huge advantage on learning how everything goes together so you will know how to perform proper maintenance later on.

I currently own a TEKNO SCT410.1 original release that has roughly 90% of the original kit parts on it, the car is over 6 years old and TEKNO provides support for all their legacy vehicles. If they discontinue a legacy part, then make sure there is an upgrade path for either improved durability and/or performance. What I like the most about TEKNO is that they offer a lifetime 50% warranty for any broken/worn parts mailed into them with no questions asked:
https://www.teknorc.com/warranty-repair/

If you want to save money, then I would encourage you to look for a used TEKNO, they are designed to stand the test of time.

Overall my top 5 pecking order would be this out of what's currently available on the market if I were to buy a brand new chassis for myself today:

1) TEKNO SCT410.3
2) Losi SCTE.3
3) ARRMA Senton BLX (based on the discontinued race grade Durango)
4) Losi TENacity
5) HoBao Hyper10SC
Sep 30, 2018, 05:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong

If you want to save money, then I would encourage you to look for a used TEKNO, they are designed to stand the test of time.

Overall my top 5 pecking order would be this out of what's currently available on the market if I were to buy a brand new chassis for myself today:

1) TEKNO SCT410.3
2) Losi SCTE.3
3) ARRMA Senton BLX (based on the discontinued race grade Durango)
4) Losi TENacity
5) HoBao Hyper10SC
Are you talking about the senton 6s or 3s? What do you guys think about the 3s version of the senton? Is it just as good?
Sep 30, 2018, 05:50 PM
Thread OP
Bill_Delong,
what about the slash? Why is it not on your list? Not saying your list is wrong, but why no slash?
Sep 30, 2018, 07:49 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Quote:
Bill_Delong,
what about the slash? Why is it not on your list? Not saying your list is wrong, but why no slash?

Slash is a very dated design and lacks many tuning options, out of the box it's marginally acceptable, but for the price, it lacks many upgrades that will nickle and dime you to the point of costing about as much as a race grade, but even after you've spent all that money on upgrades, you're still stuck with a so-so design. I have seen dozens of Slash owners show up to various race tracks in my area over the past 7+ years and I can't begin to tell you how many unsatisfied Slash owners I have seen where most folks would eventually sell their Slashes in favor of race grade... and keep in mind, most of these guys were not true racers, they were mostly bashers who would bring their cars to the track just to have some fun, but they quickly realized how much better quality was really out there from other brands. Also keep in mind that some upgrades like those from RPM are only warrantied for stock electronics, so if you drop in true 4WD SCT electronics, then you will not be covered under their warranty for the Slash.

It doesn't really matter which chassis you go with, but selecting one that is based on a 1/8 Buggy platform will typically offer the best overall in terms of tuning options and durability. Exception to my list is the TENACITY which is a complete redesign and not based on a 1/8 Buggy, however they do use close to 1/8 thick quality plastic, another exception is the Hyper10SC in my list which is based on a 1/8 Buggy with 3 oil filled diffs, etc, however their arms aren't any better quality than the Slash arms, where the pricing for the Hyper10SC is properly reflected. In contrast, Traxxas pricing is way off the mark, main reason they are charging so much for what you get is due to advertising and cornering the market by forcing their dealers to limit parts they are allowed to stock for competing brands which puts Traxxas to the top when it comes to having the best local parts support in the US. I personally have been burned too many times at the local hobby shops (LHS) in my area with breaking the same Traxxas parts as everyone else only for my LHS to not have the Traxxas parts I need in stock... sigh.

For those who are online and savvy, there are far too many other brands out there that are better than Traxxas... for those who don't have the patience to do the research, then I have recommended Traxxas in the past to locals mostly for local support knowing that they will tend to pay more over time to support their Traxxas cars, I had rationalized that it was worth it just for top notch parts support. Over time I have seen Traxxas evolve into a completely different company that I no longer respect, more info here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...oycott-Traxxas

Some folks will say that I am biased, but I can assure you that everything I have shared in this post is 100% true. If you choose to go with Traxxas on the promise of having the best local support, I can respect that, just expect to wear/break parts more frequently than if you went with a race grade.

Best of luck in your decision!
Sep 30, 2018, 08:00 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Quote:
Are you talking about the senton 6s or 3s? What do you guys think about the 3s version of the senton? Is it just as good?

They are completely different cars, the 3S is scaled back and downgraded to about the equivalent quality of what you get from a Slash. I'm over simplifying things, but you will be far better off with the Senton 6S BLX, comparing the 2 is like taking a knife to a gun fight.

Quick Reply