Timber XL Prototypes at Nall in the Fall

Now this is something pretty cool and new from Horizon Hobby. Two Timber XL Prototypes and they want your feedback!

Splash

Horizon Shows Off the Timber XL

Now this is something pretty cool and new from Horizon Hobby. They make a ton of new products that we love, but usually once you see it, the design has already been finalized and the model is in production and nearly for sale or already in stock. They wanted to do something different with the Timber XL so they brought the first two prototypes to Nall in the Fall to show off and get feedback from pilots while there is still time to make changes on the design.

There's an electric and a gas model with two different wing spans. The electric has a 110" wingspan and the gas one has a 100" wingspan. They like to try out different sizes and design changes on different prototypes during development to see what works best. It's a nice glimpse into the airplane design world so you can have a little peak into what goes into making these models. We think a Timber XL is a fantastic idea and it should be a hot seller. Take a listen to a voice recording from Ali Machinchy below for more info and be sure to voice your opinion on the model by replying to this thread. Horizon is listening and interested in hearing your feedback.

Timber XL (3 min 9 sec)

Sep 28, 2018, 04:40 PM
Landing is not optional
The white looks way better in my opinion and I do prefer the wing struts and the shorter nose looks much better.

Overall, I think it is great they are doing this though and getting feedback! Very cool!
Sep 28, 2018, 04:53 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Looks like plug-in wings? Do them the same or better than the Carbon Z Cessna 150. Same on the struts. The Carbon Z Cessna 150 goes together and breaks down so easily. Use an ESC with some headroom. Use a Castle Creations if there's no E-Flite ESC with enough current capacity. Include a couple nice sturdy battery straps.

Both of them look good.
Sep 28, 2018, 05:54 PM
Oh my god. Color me excited!
The foam timber was my first model last year that got me into this.
If H9 is working on a big scale balsa version, somewhere in the carbon cub size range, count me in!
Sep 28, 2018, 06:48 PM
DFS#000178
I knew this was coming, but I didn't expect it to be balsa.

I figured they'd do a Carbon Z Timber. Balsa? All the better!

With control surfaces that size, though, it almost looks like they're trying to get in on the ground left by discontinuation of the 3DHS Bigfoot.

I prefer the white one with the larger wingspan. I actually like the look of the longer nose on the yellow one, though, and the struts are an absolute must. I always felt like the Timber looked odd without struts.
Sep 28, 2018, 08:33 PM
We shall serve the Lord
I like the Yellow better. Too many White planes lately. Yes on the struts. Yes on the longer nose for gas engines. Yes on the double bevel flight surfaces.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Sep 28, 2018, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
I knew this was coming, but I didn't expect it to be balsa.

I figured they'd do a Carbon Z Timber. Balsa? All the better!

With control surfaces that size, though, it almost looks like they're trying to get in on the ground left by discontinuation of the 3DHS Bigfoot.

I prefer the white one with the larger wingspan. I actually like the look of the longer nose on the yellow one, though, and the struts are an absolute must. I always felt like the Timber looked odd without struts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
I like the Yellow better. Too many White planes lately. Yes on the struts. Yes on the longer nose for gas engines. Yes on the double bevel flight surfaces.

McD
Other than the color choice, I'm with both of you on this. I prefer white because I hate yellow. How about other colors? After flying my UMX Timber and Timber 1.5m, I was hoping for a larger version. I gotta have all three.
Sep 28, 2018, 11:14 PM
Modeling Retread
I’d like to see some flight video.
Latest blog entry: Sad Pilgramidge
Sep 28, 2018, 11:40 PM
Hmmmm I recall back when the Grand Tundra was delayed for so long, someone wanted to see a larger version of the Timber.
I don't recall the details of the discussion tho.
Sep 29, 2018, 12:22 AM
If it flies I like it.
Very nice. Looks very scale-like. I like the 110" span electric. 100" version might be easier for most folks to carry around, however. Yellow looks great; white is a bit drab looking. It's gonna be awfully hard while flying it to keep it under the soon to be mandated 400' AGL altitude limit.
Sep 29, 2018, 02:18 AM
Hello !
What about offering this in BNF/PNP version although it's a balsa model ?
I know wood models generally don't come with any hardware fitted inside (motor/servo/esc etc) but perhaps you could make a change ?
Regards
Sep 29, 2018, 09:42 AM
Rabbid Rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff
Looks like plug-in wings? Do them the same or better than the Carbon Z Cessna 150. Same on the struts. The Carbon Z Cessna 150 goes together and breaks down so easily. Use an ESC with some headroom. Use a Castle Creations if there's no E-Flite ESC with enough current capacity. Include a couple nice sturdy battery straps.

Both of them look good.
I like Tim Wolff's idea to have it on the same lines as the Cessna 150 in in foam. Nice to see balsa making a comeback but doesn't that mean that this will be very pricy?
Sep 29, 2018, 10:06 AM
As popular as the Timber line is, it wouldn’t surprise me if they came out with a Carbon Z version. This giant balsa version took me by surprise. I can’t believe I didn’t think about it before yesterday. I hope that they give it a suspension landing gear like the 1.5m version.
Sep 29, 2018, 10:40 AM
There are a lot of 50 to 60cc single engines sitting around too. Just saying
Sep 29, 2018, 04:11 PM
Rabbid Rabbit
Soon?

Quick Reply