Thread OP
New Product

ARRMA 1/10 BIG ROCK CREW CAB 4x4 3S BLX Brushless RTR

Now this looks sweet!!!

https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-10-bi...2h5q9nbsmhbu9j
Latest blog entry: Life Updates :)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2018, 02:02 PM
yeah horizon bought out arrma ,this looks like the first release since that buy out.

looks like horizon is dumbing down the arrma line .i have never known arrma to use plastic drive shafts and this one is just full of them . plastic drives on all 4 corners and a plastic drive up the center to power all 4 corners .

what a shame .
Sep 27, 2018, 03:03 PM
The Mad Titan
This is their 1/10th line, meant to compete with Traxxas, so they're building it with similar materials (but beefed up) to keep the costs in line. It's also another "new" truck that is basically a mish mash of existing vehicles (Senton Mega 3S BLX with slightly larger wheels and a Big Rock Body). Nothing dumbed down about this, it's just not part of their more durable and crazy 1/8th line.

I have their Brushed Granite Mega 4x4 that I put their heavy duty input gears into and have a CC 3800 Sidewinder brushless system in. No issues so far with durability, but I only run on 2S anyway. That being said, I expect the slipper clutch to burn up at some point at which time I'll put in the more durable 32 pitch gearbox from the 3S BLX line.
Sep 27, 2018, 11:15 PM
Thread OP
Heliz I thought the same until I realized it was a 1/10 scale. Inline with Traxxas Stampede, etc.

DC1138, how does the Big rock crew cab differ enough from the 3s BLX line of trucks to warrant a new truck? Or same platform with just new wheels and body?
Sep 28, 2018, 04:45 AM
This has a longer wheel base by about 1 1/2". I wish they would make another 1/8 monster truck not a monster truggy. I had a kraton v2 and loved it but I wanted a more monster truck look. I bought an xmaxx for that reason but it was too big and I sold it. I am holding out for an updated emaxx hopefully on a scaled down xmaxx chassis or I am hoping arrma comes out with a 1/8 monster truck. But for now I will just keep my 2wd extended chassis granite.
Sep 28, 2018, 09:26 AM
Did I make the A Main?
I see it includes "dBoots RAGNAROK MT tires".... does that mean that dBoots is back in business???

They used to be a subsidiary of Durango, but had discontinued pretty much their entire line of race grade tires when Durango was shut down. I'm curious if dBoots has been brought back under Horizon???

Only weird thing is that the most recent news article they have posted is dated back to 2012.... you'd think they would have something more current
http://www.dboots.com/news/
Sep 28, 2018, 09:49 AM
The Mad Titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
Heliz I thought the same until I realized it was a 1/10 scale. Inline with Traxxas Stampede, etc.

DC1138, how does the Big rock crew cab differ enough from the 3s BLX line of trucks to warrant a new truck? Or same platform with just new wheels and body?
I haven't looked at the actual part numbers or dimensions to confirm this, but upon first glance, it looks more or less like their 3S BLX Senton (which has a longer chassis than the Granite) with different tires and body, just like you said. As for it being warranted or not, I suppose it's equivalent to asking if making the new 4WD Rustler (Big Rock) is warranted since there was already a 4WD Slash (Senton) and 4WD Stampede (Granite)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong
I see it includes "dBoots RAGNAROK MT tires".... does that mean that dBoots is back in business???

They used to be a subsidiary of Durango, but had discontinued pretty much their entire line of race grade tires when Durango was shut down. I'm curious if dBoots has been brought back under Horizon???

Only weird thing is that the most recent news article they have posted is dated back to 2012.... you'd think they would have something more current
http://www.dboots.com/news/
The Arrma line has been using "dboots" tires for a while now, though it may be merely a ceremonial name in recognition of the old company.
Sep 28, 2018, 10:20 AM
So all they really did is make a Mega Senton with monster truck wheels and a truck body?
Sep 28, 2018, 12:34 PM
The Mad Titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottabeme
So all they really did is make a Mega Senton with monster truck wheels and a truck body?
On the face of it, yeah, it looks like that.
Sep 28, 2018, 06:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138
I haven't looked at the actual part numbers or dimensions to confirm this, but upon first glance, it looks more or less like their 3S BLX Senton (which has a longer chassis than the Granite) with different tires and body, just like you said. As for it being warranted or not, I suppose it's equivalent to asking if making the new 4WD Rustler (Big Rock) is warranted since there was already a 4WD Slash (Senton) and 4WD Stampede (Granite)?
LOL excellent point. I guess Arrma just wants to expand their line of 1/10 trucks to give more option over competitors.
Sep 28, 2018, 09:38 PM
UnRegistered User
up to 50mph speeds with 3s and plastic shaft and cups, lol will break in seconds
Sep 28, 2018, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneOz
up to 50mph speeds with 3s and plastic shaft and cups, lol will break in seconds
that was my thinking
Sep 28, 2018, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
Yeah the Traxxas rigs have a metal driveline and is basically bullet proof on 2s, 3s can break the outdrives but usually pretty tough.

I wonder what the diffs are made of in this truck.
Oct 01, 2018, 11:07 AM
Have you seen my LVC?
I think this new "Big Rock" should be a decent entry level budget truck. The 1/10 4x4 platform has been pretty tough for me, other than the driveline issues - all of which are addressed in the BLX3s release. I run my truck on a 1/8 motor, 4s.

This new truck has a Mod.8/32p spur (Mega has 48p), a multi-disk slipper (single disk in Mega), a "HD" diff input shaft (big weakness on the mega) and the diffs have bigger teeth. I did strip one of the Mega diffs, so I have the BLX3s diffs on order to see if they are stronger. If they can hold my 4074 2000kv motor on 4s, they should not have a problem with the BLX3s 3660 motor on 3s.

Assuming they finally got the driveline solid, this truck should be a real winner at $320.
Oct 28, 2018, 04:00 PM
Hey was wondering if anyone had updates on this arrma big rock blx? It says it is suppose to start shipping soon. Thanks

Quick Reply