This thread is privately moderated by GRW3, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 27, 2018, 12:54 AM
Modeling Retread
Thread OP
Discussion

Upgrading My Radio

A couple of years ago, my trusty DX7 Acro (gen1) started giving me problems. This was after it had been accidentally knocked out of my hands. I was otherwise happy with Spektrum so I intended to stick with it. Looking at the variety of transmitters they had available at the time, I couldn’t make a decision on which one to get. About the same time, They introduced the entry level DX6E, offering a good deal with a receiver and it ran genuine Airware, so that’s what I got.

I’ve had pretty good service with the DX6E, only had to send it in once for a power switch issue. Still, with time I decided I wanted to move up to a better model. I particularly wanted to get dual diversity because I want to go to more events, like I used to, and I think it’s an advantage in a crowded radio environment. Also, the more advanced radios offer features, like talking, not available on the E model radios. So I’ve been shopping this year. I started following the big DX thread on RC Groups.

I have to admit I was attracted by the whiz bang dual computer iX12. I started following that thread too. There was a lot to like. It is very advanced in some aspects but at its heart it’s a DX with a cool interface. I got a chance to handle one at the Toledo R/C Show and I was impresses by layout and graphics. Still, it’s very pricey. I also noticed that the iX12 forum thread spends a lot of time talking about operating problems whereas the DX thread spends most of its posts discussing how to do things.

So really my choice came to DX8 2nd gen or DX9. Were the few differences worth $150 difference in price. One of most clarifying exercises was to consider the channels I could need. I’ve been flying R/C for about 40 years, so I know what I like to fly. No matter how I assessed it, I couldn’t get past 8 channels. Most of my advanced concepts came to six but the occasional flaps or dual elevator potentials were enough to justify a DX8 instead of a 3rd gen DX6. BTW, I tried a retracts plane and it really wasn’t my style. Also, I’ll never use smoke as I think it’s environmentally irresponsible.

I had pretty much made up my mind, figuring to act this fall to get the rebate for my 1st gen DX7. The notice of the pending tariff related price increases spurred me to act. So today I ordered the DX8 2nd gen. They only had the one with receiver in stock but that’s the one I intended to get. I have a 80” Balsa USA Fokker EIII that has my original AR7000 DSM2 receiver in it. I’ve been wanting to replacement DSMX receiver in its place, once again with bigger events in mind (where the radios on, not necessarily flying, might exceed the DSM2 40 transmitter limit)?
Latest blog entry: Prop Reamers
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply